Defensive errors (1 Viewer)

Otis

I am struggling to think of another season in recent memory where we have made so many defensive errors.

Is this the worst defense we have had since God knows when? How does it compare to other awful defenses we have had?

Got to be right up there. So many goals given away due to individual errors.

Otis

Last season?

Oh yeah, I forgot about last season. For me it was like last season didn't happen. :(

chiefdave

Interesting comments from Mowbray about individual errors and how he is changing the system so we're never reliant on one player. To me that implies that he thinks the players aren't good enough to stop making the errors and he therefore needs to minimise the impact they have.

Hobo

Players make errors at all levels of football, so it is about minimising them.and how you react to them that matter.

Danceswithhorses

Players make errors at all levels of football, so it is about minimising them.and how you react to them that matter.
The problem is that in SISU's drive to cut costs, the quality of player recruited has been lower, hence more mistakes.

Gint11

The simple answer is this. This is the worst defence in the history of CCFC. And the weakest. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupot07

The simple answer is this. This is the worst defence in the history of CCFC. And the weakest. Simple as that.

Last season's was worse 77 league goals we conceded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sky Blue Harry H

I am struggling to think of another season in recent memory where we have made so many defensive errors.

Is this the worst defense we have had since God knows when? How does it compare to other awful defenses we have had?

Got to be right up there. So many goals given away due to individual errors.

That old saying about being as strong as your weakest part comes to mind. Once a player in a key area starts misfiring badly, it can have a domino effect (particularly at the back). If a player has a poor touch on a bad pitch like ours. Didn't go today, but it sounds as though Stokes is struggling a bit, and if others are misfiring around him too, it will be no surprise that Burge starts to look jittery. Oh for the likes of Trevor Peake - calm, reassured and you felt in safe hands.

AGSB15

As much as I like Stokes for his effort, he is simply not good enough. Trying to dribble round players just outside your own 18 yard box can possibly be put down to inexperience at this level but I have no idea what Martin was thinking/doing when he messed up for the 3rd goal. Complete school boy error

For me, Reda's return couldn't come at a better time. Our defence is inexperienced and mistake prone. Reda may be injured all the time, but when he plays, you cant fault his performance on the pitch. Right now, Reda is what we need. A bit of leadership at the back is the key to clean sheets. But who is dropping to the bench? Stokes, Martin, Penno or Willis?

wingy

For me, Reda's return couldn't come at a better time. Our defence is inexperienced and mistake prone. Reda may be injured all the time, but when he plays, you cant fault his performance on the pitch. Right now, Reda is what we need. A bit of leadership at the back is the key to clean sheets. But who is dropping to the bench? Stokes, Martin, Penno or Willis?

It's a decent point Liam
I hope you're right
First time I've seen Stokes and was satisfied with his game In general while we were dominant first half. but It was suicidal stuff for the goal same with Martin, unbelievable he couldn't shield the ball out
As for Willis as poor as some people Imply he Is I think the subbing of Barton Instead Of JOB on a card was a mistake and we were exposed where they targeted us down the right

It's a decent point Liam
I hope you're right
First time I've seen Stokes and was satisfied with his game In general while we were dominant first half. but It was suicidal stuff for the goal same with Martin, unbelievable he couldn't shield the ball out
As for Willis as poor as some people Imply he Is I think the subbing of Barton Instead Of JOB on a card was a mistake and we were exposed where they targeted us down the right

Martin's mistake was unforgiveable. Stokes didnt have a great game and Penno was sloppy too. I have no idea why Willis plays at RB cus he cant attack. Subbing Barton off changed the game. He was taken off cus he had a tight muscle, but O'Brien should have gone too. How he wasn't sent off is a mystery to me

Gint11

Last season's was worse 77 league goals we conceded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

True but I didn't put a timescale on my comment. In recent times we have the weakest defence. I would also like to point out although my opinion that yes we conceded 77 goals but this didn't help with poor management and tactics. I would suggest that under TM with the same back 4 for 1 whole season we would concede that many.

Otis

True but I didn't put a timescale on my comment. In recent times we have the weakest defence. I would also like to point out although my opinion that yes we conceded 77 goals but this didn't help with poor management and tactics. I would suggest that under TM with the same back 4 for 1 whole season we would concede that many.

It just seems to me that we are shipping a load of goals not simply down to weakness as a defence, but it terms of clear individual errors such as being caught in possession or a wayward pass.

How were the goals going in last season at Sixfields? I kind of remember people saying we weren't big enough or strong enough at the back, or did we make just as many individual errors that directly led to goals being scored?

wingy

It just seems to me that we are shipping a load of goals not simply down to weakness as a defence, but it terms of clear individual errors such as being caught in possession or a wayward pass.

How were the goals going in last season at Sixfields? I kind of remember people saying we weren't big enough or strong enough at the back, or did we make just as many individual errors that directly led to goals being scored?
It was the latter Otis
We havnt been tight at the back since Robins was here

Sky Blue Kid

Bring back "Edje" he's far and away better than anything we've got atm with perhaps the exception of Pennington. If you read twitter, he loves CCFC. which is a massive plus in my book. :)

Gaz71

Barton had a good half going forward but was terrible defensively, twice towards the end of the half he let Doncaster players go past him around the area, I also don't get the praise for Stokes, I know people keep saying about his fitness, but he is slow and isn't going to get any quicker with fitness!, is Haynes injured? Martin is worse than Webster, makes bad decisions at crucial times and is generally clumsy at everything he does.

Phillips Willis Pennington Johnson/Haynes

For me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stupot07

Is Reda Johnson fit yet ? Would be like signing a new defender for the run in

At least another 2 weeks. I'd be surprised if we see him again this season. He's made of glass.

Last edited:

Godiva

At least another 2 weeks. I'd be surprised if we see him again this season. He's made of glass.

We need him for three games to get the seven points that will keep us up.

SkyBlueScottie

There were so many mistakes yesterday, even the goals were littered with more than one mistake. We lost the ball, got it back and the gave it to them again. For the second goal Clarke Harris ran past 3 defenders to get the rebound...

bringbackrattles

In first half we were fairly solid at the back and I said to bloke next to me "under Mowbray we look better in defence."
That showed me to shut my gob in future and say nowt !

Otis

In first half we were fairly solid at the back and I said to bloke next to me "under Mowbray we look better in defence."
That showed me to shut my gob in future and say nowt !

We were quite solid at the back first half. Ian Wallace said the same in the commentary.

Donny just upped their game though second half and pinned us back. They came flying out of the blocks and we were clueless to counter act that.

A worrying thought I have is that this has happened a number of times this season in the 2nd half of games at the Ricoh and it kind of makes me think that in the first half the opposition maybe just aren't playing very well, but come out all fired up in the 2nd half after a half-time dressing down and rant-athon.

Are our first half efforts only looking good because the opposition are underperforming?

I said on another thread a few days ago, it is scary the amount of times this season in which we have been dominated at home by the opposition. Quite a few times barely having a shot on goal or any meaningful attack (same again on Saturday in the 2nd half).

In all my years I don't think I have seen City so dominated for such long periods of games on our own soil.

skybluepm2

Just watched the goals back on the highlights seeing as though the shitty score board doesn't bother. Truly shocking. Samuel initially losing it for the 1st, O'Brien not tracking his man before that fucking statue Burge being beaten at his near post as usual.

Stokes should never have lost the ball just outside of his own box for the second and Martin was the pick of the bunch. Threw the 3 points away. I'd only just calmed down but watching them again has pissed me right off again.

torchomatic

Terrible.

Goal one: Samuel and Pennington
Goal two: Stokes and Burge
Goal three: Martin

SkyBlue_Bear83

We were quite solid at the back first half. Ian Wallace said the same in the commentary.

Donny just upped their game though second half and pinned us back. They came flying out of the blocks and we were clueless to counter act that.

A worrying thought I have is that this has happened a number of times this season in the 2nd half of games at the Ricoh and it kind of makes me think that in the first half the opposition maybe just aren't playing very well, but come out all fired up in the 2nd half after a half-time dressing down and rant-athon.

Are our first half efforts only looking good because the opposition are underperforming?

I said on another thread a few days ago, it is scary the amount of times this season in which we have been dominated at home by the opposition. Quite a few times barely having a shot on goal or any meaningful attack (same again on Saturday in the 2nd half).

In all my years I don't think I have seen City so dominated for such long periods of games on our own soil.

They started well, got a few corners and stuff but I genuinely didn't think they were going to score and I felt comfortable, we shot ourselves in the foot Saturday, 3 bloody times! Maybe I'm way off the mark here but I don't think Doncaster were that much better in the second half than the first (maybe marginally better but not the the extent that we were seeing) I think our performance dropped off so much in the second half that in comparison Doncaster second half were that much better than us.

I was thinking a few weeks back it was physical/fitness problem that led to us being shit in the second half but it didn't seem to happen against Chesterfield/Fleetwood so I'm edging towards it being more a mental problem now.

georgehudson

the whole lot let wellens continue his thuggery,
his whole game is about stirring it up,
he was evil at fester & is the same @ donny

Users who are viewing this thread