Defending corners (1 Viewer)

skablue

Why do we persist on having all our players in the penalty area when defending a corner?
When the ball gets cleared if comes straight back unless if goes out for a throw in. Yesterday Peterborough had 8 men in the box when attacking the corner they scored from, we had 11 in the box defending the corner. My thought is that if a player is left upfield you have an option for an outball and you force the opposition to put less players in the penalty box. Leave 1 up they have 2 back, leave 2 up they have three back. Defenders are always going to out number attackers in these situations, which means for the team defending a corner their is less congestion in the box.

Mcloven

Why dosnt Joe Murphy come and catch a ball instead of standing on his line all the time. Cannot remember him claiming one cross or corner. At least then this would releave some of the pressure

jabharty

We are actually shit at defending corners. It's always a battle to get it out of the box, and with the 3/4 man advantage, we should be able to get it out with no problems. Waiting for the FL Show to see the replay of the goal. It's a little hard to see the scoreboard at the Telegraph Stand, so I didn't see the replay that well, but we should have cleared our lines.

Otis

It was Cranie's man for that 2nd goal and he let him get in front of him.

EleanorRigby

Couldn't agree more skablue, but our last 4 managers have done it Thorn, Boothroyd, Coleman and Dowie. If we left Cody up top and Nimely inbetween the opposition would have to leave 4 with them. Also with what we do at corners means the other team always regain possession when the ball is cleared. I think it's tactics of cowards not confident of their defence.

EleanorRigby

I remember years ago the old Man City side managed by the late Malcome Allison when we had corners he left right footed Mick Channon wide on the left, left footed Dennis Tueart on the right and Joe Royal up top we had to have about 5 or 6 players back. With one taking the corner, it left only 3 or 4 in the box with 7 of theirs and keeper big Joe Corrigan defending. Corrigan would catch the corner and lob it straight to either Channon or Tueart, ripped us to pieces so much the last thing you wanted was a corner.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
This issue is frustrating. And nothing frustrated me more than Colemans reason for doing it; "Man united do it..." we are not and will never be Man United! Have never heard Thorns reason for doing this, but I expect it's a trait hes picked up from the managers he's worked under in the past.

Lord_Nampil

Thing Is Peterborough new we did it and basically put every one in the box!!!

If i was the manager id leave at least 2 players out the box one on the half way line and one in the gap! Least then u have 3 players who have to stay back instead of yesterday (none for some corners)!!

stupot07

I'm sure Peterborough also brought everyone back for our corners.

I don't agree with it, but it is something that 99.9% of managers do now.

coop

Players get told to Mark a man from corners but if you just focus on winning the ball from the corner instead of worrying to much about the players you'd have better chance of clearing it and we should leave two people up when defending corners putting 11 men in the box just causes confusion.Murphy should be catching the ball from corners like the one they scored with yesterday it was two yards out poor goalkeeping for me

skablue

Yesterday, Peterborough left a man up field causing us to keep players out of the box, I noticed this as they cleared a couple of corners and their player got the ball and held it up well, i think it was Boyd.

Users who are viewing this thread