Defending corners (1 Viewer)

woody11462

I'm a bit concerned about our current set up for defending corners. Seems like we're caught between a man marking system and a zonal system. For the past two weeks Shipley has been left in an exposed position near to the goal scorer at the far post but not effective enough to make a telling interception/touch. I dont think its necessarily his fault if he's doing as he's told but it doesn't seem too effective.

cc84cov

I'm a bit concerned about our current set up for defending corners. Seems like we're caught between a man marking system and a zonal system. For the past two weeks Shipley has been left in an exposed position near to the goal scorer at the far post but not effective enough to make a telling interception/touch. I dont think its necessarily his fault if he's doing as he's told but it doesn't seem too effective.
This is the level we are at league 1 you get away with it at times from what I’ve seen in the first 2 games and last season against Brum teams at this level can deliver set pieces constantly,I’m not sure what system we are using zonal or man to man but I’m sure we will be looking at it in training.

D

Deleted member 4439

think the QPR defenders need more coaching than ours

I did like this from the QPR forum

FFS!

A free header at a corner? You missed?

Have another?

Missed again?

How about a 3rd?

FFS, Rangers. Since we scored this has been shambolic defensively. Utterly embarrassing. Have some professional pride, Rangers! They aren’t even a big side. Defending like fairies.

robbiekeane

I did like this from the QPR forum

FFS!

A free header at a corner? You missed?

Have another?

Missed again?

How about a 3rd?

FFS, Rangers. Since we scored this has been shambolic defensively. Utterly embarrassing. Have some professional pride, Rangers! They aren’t even a big side. Defending like fairies.
I for one take offence to that comment on behalf of all fairies ffs

pastythegreat

think the QPR defenders need more coaching than ours
Personally couldn't care less about how well or badly QPR defend set pieces. I do care however that we have conceded 2 goals in 2 games from corners and both were free headers.
Last week v Brizzle, Hyam left his man and Shippers stood by watching and Friday night both Ostigard and Dabo went up fpr the same ball and both missed it, the guy who finally got the ball and scored was never marked at any point during the whole corner. If were going to do the shit zonal thing, we need to at least get it right, 3 players going for the ball, everyone else stood around watching clearly isn't working.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Personally couldn't care less about how well or badly QPR defend set pieces. I do care however that we have conceded 2 goals in 2 games from corners and both were free headers.
Last week v Brizzle, Hyam left his man and Shippers stood by watching and Friday night both Ostigard and Dabo went up fpr the same ball and both missed it, the guy who finally got the ball and scored was never marked at any point during the whole corner. If were going to do the shit zonal thing, we need to at least get it right, 3 players going for the ball, everyone else stood around watching clearly isn't working.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

We'll sort it - I'd be more worried if we had Nottingham Forest's defence (their defending of the first goal that Keiffer Moore scored for Cardiff was lamentable. I think our 3 centre backs (4 including Rose) have generally looked really impressive in the first couple of games. As Dabo gets up to speed I am feeling more and more positive about what lies ahead. The only team in this division who potentially look different class (and they may still lose a key player or two - hopefully Mbuemo and Henry) are Brentford (although I tipped Norwich to win the league!)

Users who are viewing this thread