Defence (1 Viewer)

bradwellskyblues

Until we get a settled back 4 not giving away soft goals any talk of promotion is pie in the sky.

CJ_covblaze

Until we get a settled back 4 not giving away soft goals any talk of promotion is pie in the sky.

Stokes did ok and cleaned up a lot of mess ups by his line mates. Haynes didn't have a good game but to his credit did save us on a one occasion. As for the other two Ricketts was awful. Yet to see him have a good game at full back (must be noted I haven't seen him play a bad one at centre half). Despite their attacking players all playing well both him and Ramage were more dangerous in our box than any of them.

CJ_covblaze

What's the latest on Aaron Martin ffs ! Not a peep about him for weeks

Odd one that is. Must be injured. Would rather have him there than Ramage.

Otis

Stokes did ok and cleaned up a lot of mess ups by his line mates. Haynes didn't have a good game but to his credit did save us on a one occasion. As for the other two Ricketts was awful. Yet to see him have a good game at full back (must be noted I haven't seen him play a bad one at centre half). Despite their attacking players all playing well both him and Ramage were more dangerous in our box than any of them.

Hopefully next week, Ricketts back to CB and Lorentzson in at right back. Hopefully that will give us a bit more stability.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If Ricketts was to go back to CB, he cannot play with Ramage. It didn't work last week with them both alongside one another with the same feet (I mean right footed players, not just that they both had two feet, although that's debatable.....).

But then that means Stokes would have to play CB and Haynes remain LB. But that didn't work today.

Do think Lorentzon should get a run out next week.

Hobo

Ha ha ha last season Aaron Martin was shit and everyone wanted rid of him.
just accept our defence has been so disrupted this season it is not going to be water tight.

CJ_covblaze

If Ricketts was to go back to CB, he cannot play with Ramage. It didn't work last week with them both alongside one another with the same feet (I mean right footed players, not just that they both had two feet, although that's debatable.....).

But then that means Stokes would have to play CB and Haynes remain LB. But that didn't work today.

Do think Lorentzon should get a run out next week.

Would rather have Haynes, Ricketts, Stokes, Lorentzon if Martin isn't available.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Ha ha ha last season Aaron Martin was shit and everyone wanted rid of him.
just accept our defence has been so disrupted this season it is not going to be water tight.

No denying he was shit last season. No denying he was a much improved player under Tony Mowbray. No denying our defence looked better with him. But one player doesn't make a team and we should have had better back up options.

CJ_covblaze

Should also remember that Willis is due back soon.

Chipfat

If TM is going to move on players this week a mobile CB has to be on top of his list 2 out of Ricketts, Ramage and Stokes is not working. Martin, Willis are due back but if we can get in a Reece Burke type to play along side Ricketts with the Swede at RB and Stokes back to LB that should allow players to get back fit.

TM must have a list of players and positions he needs, lets hope he gets a few in and lets a few go in the process and hope tge players show a reaction to the last 3 games.

Hobo

No denying he was shit last season. No denying he was a much improved player under Tony Mowbray. No denying our defence looked better with him. But one player doesn't make a team and we should have had better back up options.

And I think TM has tried don't you? Willis is coming back from injury. Johnson got injured. Turner had to go back through injury. He has alluded to the fact some deals didn't quite happen. He has openly said he hasnt been able to source the type of CB he wants, they just aren't out there for this level.

I bet Burton who have the best defence have had a settled back four.

Evo1883

The defence ?
The same defence that is put in trouble all game by garbage passes left and right by RCC, the same defence that panic all the time because they don't trust the guy between the sticks .
We need an experienced keeper before anything at the back right now

idm1975

Would you rather the ball be lumped down the field to the super tall armstrong so the opposing team can win the header and then come straight back at us?

Evo1883

Would you rather the ball be lumped down the field to the super tall armstrong so the opposing team can win the header and then come straight back at us?
If 2 players are around the CB before the pass to him ? Most definitely .
Or if JOB or Murphy are making that run out wide , why not , he never does , it doesn't appear to register that what he is doing on a regular basis often leads to goal or mistakes in the back 4

pete212

Fair comment.
Ricketts at right back. Cool, calm, collected...aka slow!
Phillips. Will we ever see him again after the Burton howler.
Ramage. Won enough headers, but no partnership with Stokes.
Haynes needs more games.

The midfield is chopped and changed too often too.
Top two finish is looking impossible.
I can't see us going on a long winning streak. Cling on to a play-off spot hopefully

CJ_covblaze

The defence ?
The same defence that is put in trouble all game by garbage passes left and right by RCC, the same defence that panic all the time because they don't trust the guy between the sticks .
We need an experienced keeper before anything at the back right now

Poor back passes in the first place might have something to do with that.

sky_blue_up_north

We looked really tight with Stokes, Martin, Reda/Turner and Rickets... now we look like we will concede every time a side attacked use. The back four was awful Saturday....

CJ_covblaze

We looked really tight with Stokes, Martin, Reda/Turner and Rickets... now we look like we will concede every time a side attacked use. The back four was awful Saturday....

Agree. Only one that came out of it with any credit was Stokes.

sky_blue_up_north

Stokes has been outstanding this season, not really put a foot wrong, you could see his frustration at the weekend

PVA

As for the other two Ricketts was awful. Yet to see him have a good game at full back.

Bit harsh that, I thought he was pretty good at RB when we had Reda/Turner and Martin in the middle.

We didn't concede a goal for about 5 or 6 games was it. Oh how I wish we could do that again :(

CJ_covblaze

Bit harsh that, I thought he was pretty good at RB when we had Reda/Turner and Martin in the middle.

We didn't concede a goal for about 5 or 6 games was it. Oh how I wish we could do that again :(

He hasn't impressed me at all in that position but as I said when he's been centre half he's been superb. As a separate point some have said we need to add to the defence but I'm not so sure. Especially with Lorentzson, Willis and Martin to all come back in.

skybluelee

Has TM made any recent comments on when he expects Martin to be back in contention? it was originally 3-4 weeks (that was 2 weeks ago) but then Willis has been 4-6 weeks away for the last 5 months!

CJ_covblaze

Has TM made any recent comments on when he expects Martin to be back in contention? it was originally 3-4 weeks (that was 2 weeks ago) but then Willis has been 4-6 weeks away for the last 5 months!

Haven't heard much on either of them. Tony has shown with Maddison that he won't rush a player back if he's not ready. Have to trust his judgement. I'd imagine he'd be more inclined to bring back Harries or use another one of the youngsters rather than use someone that is a week away.

Users who are viewing this thread