Defence for next game. (1 Viewer)

speedie87

Hyam has needed dropping /resting since early Dec.
rose looks scared stiff
Hyam and mcfadzean should never play together cus of lack of pace

Esoterica

Been saying for weeks how broken that formation is at this level with the players we have in it. We just aren't good enough with the ball at feet when the opposition are this quick and ruthless and unfortunately when you play 3 at the back that's often where you get your possession. To pull it off someone needs to be able to ball carry into midfield better and/or the standard of passing has to be good enough that that we can keep the ball until the right progressive pass is available into the middle.
If we're going to survive we need to play to our strengths, and that's our midfielders. Go with a no nonsense approach at the back and put the extra man in midfield so that we play our football there and half an extra simple pass available for the back 4. It's then one extra body to join in the attack too.

steve101

First and foremost Ostigard would be the first name on the list. If we had another left wing-back I would have McCallum at LCB and give Hyam a rest. Potentially we could put Dacosta at LWB and Pask at RWB. I am sure that is just playing around too much. I just think McCallum is as good as Hyam in the air and would add some pace, plus being naturally left footed. Maybe wait for Josh to be fit first.
If we were to go to a back 4 then I would prefer Pask to Dacosta at the moment.

Reactions: KG7

steve101

Been saying for weeks how broken that formation is at this level with the players we have in it. We just aren't good enough with the ball at feet when the opposition are this quick and ruthless and unfortunately when you play 3 at the back that's often where you get your possession. To pull it off someone needs to be able to ball carry into midfield better and/or the standard of passing has to be good enough that that we can keep the ball until the right progressive pass is available into the middle.
If we're going to survive we need to play to our strengths, and that's our midfielders. Go with a no nonsense approach at the back and put the extra man in midfield so that we play our football there and half an extra simple pass available for the back 4. It's then one extra body to join in the attack too.
Against Forest the U23s played a back 4 with Eccles picking up the pieces, which allowed the fullbacks to still get forward. This is exactly what Kelly would do if fit.

Brighton Sky Blue

A flat central 3 would be a good deal healthier than this 2-2 set up where we seem to be both overrun out of possession and impotent with it. Central midfield is probably our strongest part of the pitch

KG7

For me, solid back four, keep the full backs back is the most important thing.

Wilson
Pask
Ostigard
McFadzean
McCallum

Sheaf

James
Hamer

O Hare

Biamou
Walker

Play a little bit more direct and keep the ball away from our goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cc84cov

For me, solid back four, keep the full backs back is the most important thing.

Wilson
Pask
Ostigard
McFadzean
McCallum

Sheaf

James
Hamer

O Hare

Biamou
Walker

Play a little bit more direct and keep the ball away from our goal.

Fadz is too slow especially in a flat 4

KG7

He is but so are Hyam and Rose. And with a deep line and full backs staying back you’d get cover from McCallum and benefit from his leadership / experience.

KG7

Osti and rose surely is the best we have

Sure but Rose is rusty and hasn’t really performed yet this season.

I’d go with Fadz for his experience, but it’s a close call between those two. Also, FTR, in our good run in late November, we conceded just two in four and that was with Fadz and Hyam in a flat back four.

I think our issues mostly stem from not having quick enough players at the front and back. It means to get anywhere near the goal with one up front we have to play intricate balls through the centre of the pitch and push our wing backs right up to stretch the play. Subsequently, if we lose it, our slow centre backs become exposed as our quick defenders are high up the pitch.

If we’re a bit more direct, with three players up front, it should allow us to hold a more solid back line and have a bit of protection in front too.

Lots of comments about midfield being our strength and two up top on this thread which I agree with too. This allows for that.

D

Deleted member 11652

I haven't seen much of him. Weren't many on here absolutely slating him and saying he wasn't good enough only a little while back?

I feel bad for him. We can only judge him on his performances at rwb and rb when he’s so clearly not suited to those positions.

stupot07

Whatever we do we need to play 2 upfront and play more direct and counter attacking style, whilst we have a lot of midfielder, we just aren't strong enough to dominate the ball in the right areas and have enough in the team to create and break teams down when we are so pedestrian with our possession football.

With our wingbacks and the box we play 6 across the midfield as it is.

We don't have any wingers so some sort of diamond is probably our only option.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

larry_david

Even two up top they aren't together
Max was touch line hugging or walker then Gyo were still isolated. Urgh it's so frustrating

cc84cov

Even two up top they aren't together
Max was touch line hugging or walker then Gyo were still isolated. Urgh it's so frustrating
Can’t stand 1 up front pisses me off even when max came on he was right wing at times odd changes he makes

stupot07

Can’t stand 1 up front pisses me off even when max came on he was right wing at times odd changes he makes
He must be following instructions. Hes never really dont that before, and has consistently done it for his last 2-3 games. You can only assume he is being asked to do that for some reason.

larry_david

He must be following instructions. Hes never really dont that before, and has consistently done it for his last 2-3 games. You can only assume he is being asked to do that for some reason.

Yep few games he actually takes his man on down the byline, beats him and crosses for o hare or Allen... Which is laughable if it wasn't so bloody awful

Paxman II

First thought we have to get men in the opposition box. We just don't do it. We are better with wing backs pushing up and really miss Dabo. DeCosta had a great game when he came in a few games ago, but tonight lacked any defensive qualities and only started pushing up in the second half.
Hyam has looked off his game lately, and has been exposed on a number of occasions for pace and positional discipline. Mc.Fazdean didn't have a great game tonight, but receiving suicide passes is not his thing. But he has been a rock in most games even if he's made an odd error, he gets on the end of most things, and is a good leader. So we need a bit more pace next to him, and Rose has some pace and quality on the ball. Ostigarrd is a 100% player, gets to most things and also has some pace.
I'd be tempted to have Mcfaz, Rose and Ostigarrd as a back three. There you have good headers in the opposition box and a varied mix of quality, brut and pace at the back.
I'd play one striker, and the midfield with James, Kelly, Hamer and of course O'Hare. Ideally Dabo back but DeCosta will have to show what he did a few games ago. He has it within him clearly,and looks very useful coming forward. McCallum needs to improve, and Ried will put pressure on him.
If we opt for two up front, I'd have to drop James for Kelly, and put Gykores up with Walker. It's a conundrum I wouldn't like, but needs must.
TBF Norwich for all they did in play, I can't recall too many efforts on our goal? One great save, one hooked off the line and two gifts.
We for all our moaning had a few good chances, but once again fluffed our lines...key culprit was O'Hare. One thing we must do is get our passing accuracy back again and start backing each other up more. We were a bit flat footed first half. Good news is Brentford have hit a patch suddenly and are definately beatable. A tough run of games it is, but don't be writing us off so easily. We are a good team and better than what we saw tonight by a long shot. There is a long way to go.

Last edited:

Winny the Bish

Slowest back three in the Football League and we didn't even try to strengthen it in January. But there was enough money for another defensive midfielder and a striker who can't get in the team ahead of Biamou. What a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread