December Stadium Deadline (1 Viewer)

jas365

Also let's challenge the statement in base terms. How many English rugby clubs have moved as far as Wasps have now moved from their home?

Well no one has moved as far as you well know, but it's not unheard of in rugby for clubs to move base. Saracens have had about 3 "home" grounds in the last decade.

I'm not defending the move, but there are definitely less obstacles to moving a rugby club than there would be for a football club.

The reasons are purely commercial, if it were down to sentiment no club would ever move home.

NorthernWisdom

Well no one has moved as far as you well know, but it's not unheard of in rugby for clubs to move base. Saracens have had about 3 "home" grounds in the last decade.

I'm not defending the move, but there are definitely less obstacles to moving a rugby club than there would be for a football club.

The reasons are purely commercial, if it were down to sentiment no club would ever move home.

So, what have we ascertained?

No Rugby club moves as far as Wasps.

Saracens have found themselves returning to London after failed attempts to leave.

(How many non London Rugby clubs have moved substantially?)

As for the more sociological elements, here are a few conclusions which are not unreasonable based on the above:

Even one move is not sufficient, a rugby club's tie to place is, supposedly, far less and thus the potential for them to move once more is greatly enhanced.

Apparently, the club's tie to place is insufficient for it to have a cultural impact on them moving.

A rugby club's role in increasing cultural awareness of place is insignificant.

Now, if all these are correct... why would a city council find it a good idea to sell to a rugby club, if it risks their football team also becoming nomadic? All this does is diminish the cultural value and cultural awareness of the city the council is supposed to be representing.

Therefore, it is a poor decision not just for the football club, but for the city. Cultural value will outshine financial value long term, after all.

(And as for the short term finances, we can't see if it's a poor decision or otherwise on base numbers until the FOI requests and appeals are made for the information to be released)

italiahorse

So, what have we ascertained?

No Rugby club moves as far as Wasps.

Saracens have found themselves returning to London after failed attempts to leave.

(How many non London Rugby clubs have moved substantially?)

As for the more sociological elements, here are a few conclusions which are not unreasonable based on the above:

Even one move is not sufficient, a rugby club's tie to place is, supposedly, far less and thus the potential for them to move once more is greatly enhanced.

Apparently, the club's tie to place is insufficient for it to have a cultural impact on them moving.

A rugby club's role in increasing cultural awareness of place is insignificant.

Now, if all these are correct... why would a city council find it a good idea to sell to a rugby club, if it risks their football team also becoming nomadic? All this does is diminish the cultural value and cultural awareness of the city the council is supposed to be representing.

Therefore, it is a poor decision not just for the football club, but for the city. Cultural value will outshine financial value long term, after all.

(And as for the short term finances, we can't see if it's a poor decision or otherwise on base numbers until the FOI requests and appeals are made for the information to be released)

But what do you do if the football club has no intention of buying the stadium and someone else does ?
Do you wait on the football club knowing the history of previous dealings and aware that the stadium management company was about to fold because of them ?
Answer with your mind not your heart.

Nick

Administrator
But what do you do if the football club has no intention of buying the stadium and someone else does ?
Do you wait on the football club knowing the history of previous dealings and aware that the stadium management company was about to fold because of them ?
Answer with your mind not your heart.
Or pocket

italiahorse

I have answered with my mind above.

We were told repeatedly that the stadium management company was not about to fold because of the football club. That is the evidence available to us.

So when Sisu made their play, CCC should have said if you don't come back we will go bankrupt.
Now the answer from your head !!

Otis

December Stadium Deadline

Started by ccfc92, 1 Week Ago 01:45 PM 123...92
tag.png
paperclip.png

• Replies: 916
  • Views: 32,617

Why have 32,617 views when only one will do? :thinking about:

italiahorse

I have given the answer from my head above, you just seem unwilling to accept it.

In terms of head v heart, I'm afraid it's you coming up with the empty rhetoric in this thread to skew a position.

It's not with your head if you are saying the council should not have sold it to Wasps but then refuse to say what should they had done. Other than say they said that ACL was doing okay, when it wasn't.

NorthernWisdom

It's not with your head.

What is incorrect in what I have said above?

Is it confirmed that Rugby clubs, bar Wasps, do not move beyond the periphery of London?

Is it correct that Rugby clubs do not move miles except those from London?

Is it correct that Rugby has far less of a cultural impact than Football?

Is it correct that in terms of an identifier with place, that Rugby has far less of an impact than a successful football team?

Is it correct that there is a trend with London teams that move away, such as Saracens, Richmond and London Scottish to return to their roots?

Isit therefore correct to suggest that, unlike your repeated assertions, it is not 'done' in the slightest, and the historic evidence in terms of trends will have Wasps buggering off in the medium-term?

Is it therefore correct or not that the city council said that ACL was not in any financial trouble?

Therefore, can we conclude that the city council should have looked for a long term solution?

What, in that, is not backed up by precedent or evidence, as opposed to vague assertion to present a case. I have to ask why you're so keen to present Wasps as the fait accompli as I do not understand what of those you can argue about?

Moff

Yes their last move was back home, and was the result of a decade of raising money to do so, which led to the original ground sharing. Perhaps Wasps could do the same and return to London.

italiahorse

Yes their last move was back home, and was the result of a decade of raising money to do so, which led to the original ground sharing. Perhaps Wasps could do the same and return to London.

Perhaps they will in 10 years time and hopefully CCFC can afford to buy it then .

Moff

Perhaps they will in 10 years time and hopefully CCFC can afford to buy it then .

With the Bond issue it should only take half that time, as Wasps will be the richest club of any sport in the world then, and will be able to buy half of West London, Wembley, Upton Park, Twickenham, and of course Wycombe.

Perhaps they will be kind enough to let us buy a stadium in our own city then, and the club can be sold as a going concern by SISU, to someone that can run it properly. ;)

Sick Boy

We haven't had a ground since 2005. This isn't s new problem!

Oh how I long for Highfield Road. It's hard to imagine a child falling in love with the club and the game in general in the same way as I did HR. Especially not with the huge we wasps and their badges stuck everywhere.

Macca

Oh how I long for Highfield Road. It's hard to imagine a child falling in love with the club and the game in general in the same way as I did HR. Especially not with the huge we wasps and their badges stuck everywhere.

Couldn't agree more. Every time I think of it I go all Ron Manager.
Mmm isn't it, seeing the floodlights from the Ring Road, the Mercers Arms, the crows nest, the west terrace, pitch invasions to celebrate avoiding relegation........

letsallsingtogether

Don't like it don't go site please really.
I for one don't sit there looking at Wasp badges etc never noticed the logos around the pitch until they were pointed out to me.
Just like the supporters who went to sixfields never took any notice of their surroundings.

Macca

Beautifully put as well, was same for me. Fell in love with the whole package but as much the surroundings as the football. Even in my 20,s I would use any excuse to drive past

letsallsingtogether

Beautifully put as well, was same for me. Fell in love with the whole package but as much the surroundings as the football. Even in my 20,s I would use any excuse to drive past

Isn't that the same for nearly every supporter in the country.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think we only remember the things we want to from HR, we forget things like lack of leg room,poor views, not enough toilets, thousands walking down the side of the park to avoid trouble in the park.

Even with all the faults and I am sure there were others it was ours and not some out of town egg chasers, I blame the three amigos (BR,MM,GR) for this situation starting, is MM still president of the club as when he croaks it they need not bother with a minutes silence.

italiahorse

I think we only remember the things we want to from HR, we forget things like lack of leg room,poor views, not enough toilets, thousands walking down the side of the park to avoid trouble in the park.

Even with all the faults and I am sure there were others it was ours and not some out of town egg chasers, I blame the three amigos (BR,MM,GR) for this situation starting, is MM still president of the club as when he croaks it they need not bother with a minutes silence.

If we were in the PL when we moved to the Ricoh we would be praising them now.

Macca

Plenty of leg room on the Kop :)

Terry Gibson's perm

Plenty of leg room on the Kop :)

parts of the main stand were a bit tight, I also think this ground is a bit more family friendly partly due to less trouble but also better facilities which is good as we get more children and females in the ground.

the Koop I used to have to get there for about 1 to get my space now I can rock up at 2.59 ah forget HR this place is great;)

Terry Gibson's perm

If we were in the PL when we moved to the Ricoh we would be praising them now.

We were out of the Prem because of them they kept Idiot Strachan when most sensible people could see he should have gone months before we were relegated.

italiahorse

We were out of the Prem because of them they kept Idiot Strachan when most sensible people could see he should have gone months before we were relegated.

Did you see the team we had when Strachan was here in that last season?
Should never had gone down.

stupot07

Did you see the team we had when Strachan was here in that last season?
Should never had gone down.

Ultimately we lacked quality in the two most important departments. Which is why we're the lowest goal scorers and the 3rd worst defence. The quality we did have was in midfield. We should have signed Hartson sooner, and signing Bellamy after a season out injured was a huge mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Macca

parts of the main stand were a bit tight, I also think this ground is a bit more family friendly partly due to less trouble but also better facilities which is good as we get more children and females in the ground.

the Koop I used to have to get there for about 1 to get my space now I can rock up at 2.59 ah forget HR this place is great;)

Given the obsession with fast food and betting most people Rock up at 3.10 making everybody move and generally getting on my tits!

Terry Gibson's perm

Given the obsession with fast food and betting most people Rock up at 3.10 making everybody move and generally getting on my tits!

Not guilty I eat before I get there and do my betting at home before I leave, I can never work out the people who arrive late then go early to half time and come back late and leave with ten minutes to go

Users who are viewing this thread