Debuts (1 Viewer)

Calista

The cracking goal by Torp prompted some mentions of debuts on the other thread. Two debuts I saw live which will always live in the memory are:

Steve Hunt at Derby in '78, which was also the debut for the chocolate brown kit! Hunt scored a belter with his left foot, and went on to be a superb player for us.

Robbie Keane's awesome debut, also against Derby but this time at Highfield Road in 1999. Two fine goals and such a classy display from probably as good a player as we've ever had, but it's a pity it wasn't to last.

Any other debut recollections, good or bad?

usskyblue

Didn’t Jim Melrose score a hatrick on his debut? And I think it went downhill from there..

Last edited:

AJB1983

Was Dennis Wise brilliant first game? I can't quite remember.
Yeah against Derby when ray winstone was there filming, although he did almost get sent off first couple of minutes for scything through Seth Johnson.

I remember Joe Cole’s and he got a free kick and there was this noise that came over the stadium that I’ve not heard before as he was stepping back, like of expectation of seeing something special, and of course it went in off the bar.
Only time Ive heard it since was just after the initial cheer for Palmers goal against Oxford.

Terry_dactyl

My memory might be fading but weren’t Noel Whelan’s and Johnnie Jackson’s quite good?

Kevin Drinkell - overhead kick vs Grimsby Town!

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah against Derby when ray winstone was there filming, although he did almost get sent off first couple of minutes for scything through Seth Johnson.

I remember Joe Cole’s and he got a free kick and there was this noise that came over the stadium that I’ve not heard before as he was stepping back, like of expectation of seeing something special, and of course it went in off the bar.
Only time Ive heard it since was just after the initial cheer for Palmers goal against Oxford.

Cole’s was at Rochdale wasn’t it? Mid week game, I remember the fanfare!

Barnsley was his home debut though.

South West Sky Blue

Only from memory, but didn't Stephen Pressley and George Boateng get sent off on debuts?
Micky Quinn must've scored on his debut. Turned out out to be a decent run of 10 goals in 6.
Feel free to correct me.......

Hutch11

The cracking goal by Torp prompted some mentions of debuts on the other thread. Two debuts I saw live which will always live in the memory are:

Steve Hunt at Derby in '78, which was also the debut for the chocolate brown kit! Hunt scored a belter with his left foot, and went on to be a superb player for us.

Robbie Keane's awesome debut, also against Derby but this time at Highfield Road in 1999. Two fine goals and such a classy display from probably as good a player as we've ever had, but it's a pity it wasn't to last.

Any other debut recollections, good or bad?
Was at both of those games and both turned out to be terrific players

Hertsccfc

Didn’t Jim Melrose score a hatrick on his debut? And I think it went downhill from there..
Pretty sure it was his home debut versus Everton. He'd played an away match already.

I thought both he and English were unfairly maligned by the fans probably because they were not Ian Wallace.

Legia Sky Blue

Stuart Pearce - can't remember who the QPR winger was, but within the first few minutes Pearce had taken the man and ball in what was deemed a fair tackle in those days, dumping him into the first few rows in the Sky Blue Stand. The winger unsurprisingly didn't contribute anything for the remainder of the match :)

Also remember Mark Hateley aged about 17 making his debut in the last game of the season at home to Wolves and absolutely terrorising their defence.

Terry_dactyl

Still none the wiser, honestly can't remember him
Though if you're reading Bryn, (which is extremely doubtful), that says more about my memory than your performances.
Bryn is always watching!

He’s had a few mentions on here of late. I’m waffling on about him having played for Pompey also in another thread. Which lead on to thinking about players who’ve played for City and Pompey like Arian De Zeeuwe and Paul Hall…and JohnAloisi and Mick Quinn…

Robinshio

Bryn is always watching!

He’s had a few mentions on here of late. I’m waffling on about him having played for Pompey also in another thread. Which lead on to thinking about players who’ve played for City and Pompey like Arian De Zeeuwe and Paul Hall…and JohnAloisi and Mick Quinn…
and Tyler walker

Users who are viewing this thread