Death of the high street (1 Viewer)

dutchman

I went to town while the wife ran in a shop last night, saw about 4 homeless setups just driving from the ring road to by West Orchards.

It was before 6 so they probably hadnt finished their shift.
They're moving into the retail parks now, I overheard one in the Alvis retail park contacting another at the Gallagher retail park.

Otis

What a life, drive to a retail park to buy shite then drive home. Rather go into the city buy whatever i want then go for a pint and a bite to eat. Much better all round
Yep, agree. And talk of generic retailers and every city centre in danger of becoming the same, these retail parks ARE all the same pretty much. Same retailers.

They're great to pop to if you want something specific and then want to just zoom home, but it's hardly an experience.

Last week I was in town and sat for a cup of tea and a cake here.

JS156018021.jpg

Surely better than these pop them up in a jiffy, boring block buildings they have at retail parks.

Coventry city centre still has a way to go for sure, but I heard a retail expert the other week talk in terms of high street retailers possibly going down the Amazon route of you getting something you order within a couple of hours.
That would mean you go in somewhere like a Debenhams store, identify something you want and have it delivered to the store in two hours, while you wander off to look around other shops, or go and get a bite to eat etc.

Nick

Administrator
What a life, drive to a retail park to buy shite then drive home. Rather go into the city buy whatever i want then go for a pint and a bite to eat. Much better all round
Ha if only it was that simple and there was nothing else I needed to be doing! By the time I've finished work, done the school run and everything most of the shops in the city centre are closed anyway.

Otis

Ha if only it was that simple and there was nothing else I needed to be doing! By the time I've finished work, done the school run and everything most of the shops in the city centre are closed anyway.
Primark's open til 7, Nick. Just saying like, if you need a new suit for a wedding or a pair of flip flops.

Nick

Administrator
Primark's open til 7, Nick. Just saying like, if you need a new suit for a wedding or a pair of flip flops.
Or I could go to next at the Ricoh until about 8 or 9 with free parking right outside the door?

Haven't got time to wander about browsing . Straight there, get what I need, go.

Last edited:

skyblueinBaku

Or I could go to next at the Ricoh until about 8 or 9 with free parking right outside the door?

Haven't got time to wander about browsing . Straight there, get what I need, go.
That's my style of shopping, Nick. I hate it if the missus says, for example, that she wants to go into the local town to buy a skirt. We get to the shops and she starts looking at blouses, sweaters or shoes - anything but the skirt she says she needs. It really winds me up.

Grendel

Lol mike Ashley buys house of Fraser

Ccfcsj

I hate it if the missus says, for example, that she wants to go into the local town to buy a skirt. We get to the shops and she starts looking at blouses, sweaters or shoes - anything but the skirt she says she needs. It really winds me up.
And I bet she looks through loads of shops and decides the one she wants to buy is in the first shop she visited - on the other side of the shopping place

Nick

Administrator
That's my style of shopping, Nick. I hate it if the missus says, for example, that she wants to go into the local town to buy a skirt. We get to the shops and she starts looking at blouses, sweaters or shoes - anything but the skirt she says she needs. It really winds me up.
Thankfully mine is worse than me so we don't mess about :)

skyblueinBaku

And I bet she looks through loads of shops and decides the one she wants to buy is in the first shop she visited - on the other side of the shopping place
Dead right!:emoji_laughing:

fernandopartridge

Sports Direct already own a few high end online shops. I bought an expensive jacket online and my card was blocked. The bank phoned me up as they saw the payment was to Sports Direct and was unusually high!

wingy

Pushing the boat out for a firetrap? :)
Bought a nice pair of black Brogues a couple of years ago
Only wear them occassionally and it wasn't until the third time until I noticed the Branding imprinted into the leather lol.

dutchman

Sports Direct already own a few high end online shops. I bought an expensive jacket online and my card was blocked. The bank phoned me up as they saw the payment was to Sports Direct and was unusually high!

I had a card blocked when I tried to buy a washing machine online. The bank said it was an 'unusual purchase'. How often does anybody buy a washing machine? Took me ages to get the card unblocked. Got passed from one department to another. Had to phone their 'security' division and answer a load of damn fool questions.

Incidentally it was the cheapest washing machine from the cheapest online supplier. Imagine if it had been a more expensive machine or supplier.

Captain Dart

I had a card blocked when I tried to buy a washing machine online. The bank said it was an 'unusual purchase'. How often does anybody buy a washing machine? Took me ages to get the card unblocked. Got passed from one department to another. Had to phone their 'security' division and answer a load of damn fool questions.

Incidentally it was the cheapest washing machine from the cheapest online supplier. Imagine if it had been a more expensive machine or supplier.

Not quite the same, but I changed my car earlier this year and I was asked to pay the vehicle tax with my card, the web site insisted me entering on my Verified by Visa password for the relatively small sum involved which of course I did not have to hand. Fortunately I resolved the situation with cash & the dealer paid the fee with their card but what a pain.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not quite the same, but I changed my car earlier this year and I was asked to pay the vehicle tax with my card, the web site insisted me entering on my Verified by Visa password for the relatively small sum involved which of course I did not have to hand. Fortunately I resolved the situation with cash & the dealer paid the fee with their card but what a pain.

I hope you set it up to auto renew so he gets a nice surprise every year.

Covkid1968#

Bought a Tag watch online at the weekend and have absolutely no recollection of doing it at 2.02am on Sunday morning....Its the high street for me from now on. Still son gets a new watch for his 21st in November now!!!!

dutchman

Church keeps Amazon shares despite criticism

The Church of England has said it will keep its shares in Amazon - a day after the Archbishop of Canterbury said the firm was "leeching off the taxpayer".

The Church Times has revealed Amazon was among the 20 biggest global investments by the Church last year

Archbishop Justin Welby, in a speech to the Trades Union Congress on Wednesday, said: "When vast companies like Amazon and other online traders, the new industries, can get away with paying almost nothing in tax, there is something wrong with the tax system.

"They don't pay a real living wage, so the taxpayer must support their workers with benefits.

"And having leeched off the taxpayer once they don't pay for our defence, for security, for stability, for justice, health, equality, education."

martcov

The Church of England has said it will keep its shares in Amazon - a day after the Archbishop of Canterbury said the firm was "leeching off the taxpayer".

The Church Times has revealed Amazon was among the 20 biggest global investments by the Church last year

Archbishop Justin Welby, in a speech to the Trades Union Congress on Wednesday, said: "When vast companies like Amazon and other online traders, the new industries, can get away with paying almost nothing in tax, there is something wrong with the tax system.

"They don't pay a real living wage, so the taxpayer must support their workers with benefits.

"And having leeched off the taxpayer once they don't pay for our defence, for security, for stability, for justice, health, equality, education."

Have I read correctly? The church is criticising a company for leeching off people and not paying taxes? Do they pay tax on their income? How did the COE amass it’s wealth?

Astute

Have I read correctly? The church is criticising a company for leeching off people and not paying taxes? Do they pay tax on their income? How did the COE amass it’s wealth?
And a company that they are shareholders in.

fernandopartridge

Pathetic

SBAndy

Surprised nothing was made of the John Lewis announcement yesterday that half-year profits have dropped by 99%.

Terry Gibson's perm

Surprised nothing was made of the John Lewis announcement yesterday that half-year profits have dropped by 99%.

I like John Lewis I hope they can ride the storm as I have some vouchers with them from my credit card

Gazolba

I rarely buy anything any more. I over-shopped in the past and have everything I need.
Have enough clothes to last me for the rest of my life.
Haven't visited a department store in years. Almost never visit malls. Rarely shop online.
Mostly I visit the supermarket and get the odd thing at a charity/thrift shop or eBay.
The High Street? Where's that?

Users who are viewing this thread