Death Of Darlington FC...A Concern ? (1 Viewer)

EleanorRigby

Listening to Talk Sport last night a Darlington fan came on, it appears more than likely Darlington FC played their final game yesterday at Barrow. He went on and spoke about various things, reasons why etc, etc, and it was quiet emotional listening and you couldn't help comparing their problems with ours. He said Darlington used to play at Feethams an old ramshackled ground but did a job and they used to bounce between the third and fourth divisions for years, then a smart arsed chairman/owner took over and initially all were sucked in to his super duper plans for their club, and guess what ? they built a new ground, capacity 25000 for a club whose at the time average gate when doing well was about 7/8000, local derbies against the likes of rivals Carlisle and Hartlepool that would perhaps double or a bit more. He said the start of Darlington's decline coincided with the new ground venture, starting to sound familier.

He went on about various other things but spoke emotionally about their probable "last" day yesterday. The players at the end of a 3-0 defeat threw their shirts into the crowd, some wearing T-shirts with "thanks for the memories" on and the large contingent of Darlington supporters remaining behind as if in defiance that this was their final game, grown men crying. One poignent and lasting memory he said was witnessing three generations of supporter standing together obviously a grandfather, a father and son, the older guy aged about 80, all sobbing their eyes out.
It appears the bloke who took over ended up in jail didn't catch the full sp of all that too much to take in and remember to be honest.

Finally he said they were still clinging to a glimmer of hope of carrying on but was pessimistic about that, but did say poignantly and sort of warned others about those acquiring their football clubs and doing their own thing regardless of the fans and tellingly said" "

A FOOTBALL CLUB IS FOR LIFE NOT BUSINESS."

Grendel

Listening to Talk Sport last night a Darlington fan came on, it appears more than likely Darlington FC played their final game yesterday at Barrow. He went on and spoke about various things, reasons why etc, etc, and it was quiet emotional listening and you couldn't help comparing their problems with ours. He said Darlington used to play at Feethams an old ramshackled ground but did a job and they used to bounce between the third and fourth divisions for years, then a smart arsed chairman/owner took over and initially all were sucked in to his super duper plans for their club, and guess what ? they built a new ground, capacity 25000 for a club whose at the time average gate when doing well was about 7/8000, local derbies against the likes of rivals Carlisle and Hartlepool that would perhaps double or a bit more. He said the start of Darlington's decline coincided with the new ground venture, starting to sound familier.

He went on about various other things but spoke emotionally about their probable "last" day yesterday. The players at the end of a 3-0 defeat threw their shirts into the crowd, some wearing T-shirts with "thanks for the memories" on and the large contingent of Darlington supporters remaining behind as if in defiance that this was their final game, grown men crying. One poignent and lasting memory he said was witnessing three generations of supporter standing together obviously a grandfather, a father and son, the older guy aged about 80, all sobbing their eyes out.
It appears the bloke who took over ended up in jail didn't catch the full sp of all that too much to take in and remember to be honest.

Finally he said they were still clinging to a glimmer of hope of carrying on but was pessimistic about that, but did say poignantly and sort of warned others about those acquiring their football clubs and doing their own thing regardless of the fans and tellingly said" "

A FOOTBALL CLUB IS FOR LIFE NOT BUSINESS."

Personally I cannot see it. There are some grim times ahead put the 8th biggest City playing in an Olympic stadium would be an attraction for some one. Very few clubs go to the wall and none our size ever have.

Gaz

Thats a sad story and one I would hope any football fan wouldn't have to go through.

I would never take for granted that there will always be someone out there to save the club.

EleanorRigby

Who would have thought Woolworths would have gone ? a failing business, like us, a marketing name, unlike us. Anyone can go to the wall especially in grim times we are now in finance wise. Darlington a one town club, like us, a decent fan base for a club their size, like us and many trying to pull rabbits out of hats to survive there will be rich Darlington people, but it went. They were losing £80k a fortnight i believe.

He did say which i forgot to add the help from other clubs and fans have been terrific, collections etc, but in the end they appear to have gone.

Last edited:
Just read the fans raised 8k. to pay players. football really is the rich get richer whilst the poor get poorer eh. How sad.

Lord_Nampil

the interesting thing is the credit crunch hit 4 yrs ago and only know are clubs like Bolton Everton Coventry Brizzle Forest etc feeling the affects!

Darlington were never a big club, there in a tough area to gain fans as you have Sunderland and Newcastle within 10 miles of the place! Yet there former owner who was a mentalist thought it was best to build a massive stadium (there ground before was around 5,000) and move in with the same fan base and players to the new arena. His vision destroyed that club and crippled it! If only he had developed there old ground they probably would have been alright now!!!

EleanorRigby

the interesting thing is the credit crunch hit 4 yrs ago and only know are clubs like Bolton Everton Coventry Brizzle Forest etc feeling the affects!

Darlington were never a big club, there in a tough area to gain fans as you have Sunderland and Newcastle within 10 miles of the place! Yet there former owner who was a mentalist thought it was best to build a massive stadium (there ground before was around 5,000) and move in with the same fan base and players to the new arena. His vision destroyed that club and crippled it! If only he had developed there old ground they probably would have been alright now!!!
Moving grounds needlessly don't get me on that one! All i will say i suspect some people became a lot wealthier thanks to that decision.

kg82

Yeah, his name was Reynolds (can't remember his first name) and he named the ground the Reynolds Arena at first I remember. It was ridiculous. He always reminded me of Richardson. Completely screwed them then got done for fraud or something similar and got sent down. He's always maintained that he did more good than bad at Darlingon as well, the bloke was a complete egotist.

torchomatic

This is so sad. I mentioned Darlington in a thread in reply to Tankie yesterday. He said something like we were the most long suffering fans ever or something and I said I bet Darington and Portsmouth fans wouls disagree with that.

@richh87

This is so sad. I mentioned Darlington in a thread in reply to Tankie yesterday. He said something like we were the most long suffering fans ever or something and I said I bet Darington and Portsmouth fans wouls disagree with that.

This being the Portsmouth that won the FA Cup and played in Europe recently?

Poor bastards :pointlaugh:

torchomatic

Yes, that Portsmoth.

This being the Portsmouth that won the FA Cup and played in Europe recently?

Poor bastards :pointlaugh:

georgehudson

all the more reason to rid OUR club of the present owners, (whoever they may be),
is any of your money/pension/savings, being invested ?
and by whom ?
investigate whether your money is being used by s*su,
according to previous posts 'the uni of pennsylvania' are s*su investors,
& still nothing from - our owners

georgehudson

but to think that they've paved paradise & put up a parking lot,
with only 1 road in / or out & no train station,
hear sisu's train a comin'
PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread