Deadline day Feb 2024 (4 Viewers)

Skyblueweeman

That said, if we don't sign anyone else, I'll be a bit gutted but had you told me at the start of the window that we'd still have O'Hare and brought in Torp, I think I would've taken it.

Only thing that's of slight concern to me is others seem to be strengthening their ranks more than us. I guess they might not be successful though so not necessarily an indicator of better transfer windows.

As always though, in MR we trust etc etc. I've got no doubt the right things are being done behind the scenes. I kind of see Top 10 this season as a bonus after losing our best two players and so many goals/assists. Here's hoping we still have a great run in and get that 5th or 6th spot.

MikeyMoo

Assumedly Burnley and Sheffield, and probably Forest, come down. Is is really much weaker next time around?

Matt smith

The three that came down will go back up.

It's much more sensible for us to build cash for the summer and make 1 or 2 key additions to a settled squad and attack a much weaker league next season.
Whilst I do agree to some extent.

we’re in the top six now, can we afford just to write this season off? I wouldn’t say it’s an arrogance and I think we’d have a good chance next year but I want us to give ourselves the best possible chance this year and not just assume next year will be the year.

could we lose a key cog this summer such as sheaf for example, let’s try and really push on this year as we’re on a really good run

slowpoke

Whilst I do agree to some extent.

we’re in the top six now, can we afford just to write this season off? I wouldn’t say it’s an arrogance and I think we’d have a good chance next year but I want us to give ourselves the best possible chance this year and not just assume next year will be the year.

could we lose a key cog this summer such as sheaf for example.
The thing is to stay in the top six which I think we will and then the play off be tough but none will want us over two legs

Matt smith

The thing is to stay in the top six which I think we will and then the play off be tough but none will want us over two legs
Agreed, just think whilst appreciating that next season we also should be in a strong position

but we’re in a good position now, so why not really try and grasp it with a signing or two to really kick us on this second half of the year (I’m not saying they’re not trying to do this)

Liquid Gold

Assumedly Burnley and Sheffield, and probably Forest, come down. Is is really much weaker next time around?
I think in that scenario Burnley lose Kompany and could either go again or have a faltered season. Sheff Utd were lucky to go up anyway as I didn't think they were much shakes so wouldn't be worried. Everton would be a basket case, Forest screwed with FFP and Luton would just be Luton.

Nobody would run away like Leicester or or go 20 unbeaten like Saints. I don't think any of the L1 teams would be likely to do an Ipswich either.

It looks much more favourable next season to me.

I seem to remember Doug and MR saying we would be aiming for playoffs 3 of the next 5 and for one to be a success. It's no worry to miss out this year and I'd rather not hamper our efforts long term by doing what Hull are doing and overspending on a load of players who will be plying their trade elsewhere next season.

skybluecam

The three that came down will go back up.

It's much more sensible for us to build cash for the summer and make 1 or 2 key additions to a settled squad and attack a much weaker league next season.
Cannot believe that we’re in the playoff places and people are talking about “attacking the league next season”.

If you get a sniff in this division you have to take it.

oscillatewildly

what are we expecting?

No One Page GIF
or
Signing Bounty Hunter GIF by DefyTV
Well I wasn't expecting the January transfer window to creep into February for a start.

itsabuzzard

I think in that scenario Burnley lose Kompany and could either go again or have a faltered season. Sheff Utd were lucky to go up anyway as I didn't think they were much shakes so wouldn't be worried. Everton would be a basket case, Forest screwed with FFP and Luton would just be Luton.

Nobody would run away like Leicester or or go 20 unbeaten like Saints. I don't think any of the L1 teams would be likely to do an Ipswich either.

It looks much more favourable next season to me.

I seem to remember Doug and MR saying we would be aiming for playoffs 3 of the next 5 and for one to be a success. It's no worry to miss out this year and I'd rather not hamper our efforts long term by doing what Hull are doing and overspending on a load of players who will be plying their trade elsewhere next season.
Over a season of 46 games, how on earth were Sheffield Utd "lucky" to go up?

Diogenes

Cannot believe that we’re in the playoff places and people are talking about “attacking the league next season”.

It's demented.

These are the same folks who think everyone else is "bedwetting"

There is no way to predict how strong/weak it will be next year or where we will be relative to the other sides.

Martin180

It's the balancing act isnt it ? We do need a wide player but it has to be right for us otherwise we end up with another Sean Maguire

Liquid Gold

Of course I don't propose we give up on this season.

My point is that we shouldn't mortgage the future to ONLY have a go this season.

Any signing we make should be made with the same 2-4 year window in mind as others and not the next 6 months.

SkyBlueGuy

It's the balancing act isnt it ? We do need a wide player but it has to be right for us otherwise we end up with another Sean Maguire
This is an interesting point. However, as underwhelming as Maguire was... We did make the playoff final. Not particularly because of his contributions, but you could argue that having the extra body allowed us to stop players playing the the "red zone" for so long and avoided some potential injuries.

I'm not advocating for signing below par players, but we have a very small squad now, and with sheaf injured, the current players will have even more minutes to cover between them

SBT

There was definitely something off of the back of the Sky Sports News report
He posted on the live blog about the rumours from elsewhere and then ran it down himself and confirmed it was untrue - a rare Andy Turner win!

Martin180

This is an interesting point. However, as underwhelming as Maguire was... We did make the playoff final. Not particularly because of his contributions, but you could argue that having the extra body allowed us to stop players playing the the "red zone" for so long and avoided some potential injuries.

I'm not advocating for signing below par players, but we have a very small squad now, and with sheaf injured, the current players will have even more minutes to cover between them
That's true enough but we've got a couple of young players on the fringe in Andrews and Eghosa who could be utilised

Mucca Mad Boys

Just like last season was our last chance?

If we’re towards the end of this 5 year plan, I’d totally understand the willingness to gamble. But we’re not and we’re in a good position to be patient and wait for the right players.

Scenario 1: Our main targets are unavailable this window but will be in the summer. We just have to wait it out and I’m ok with that.

Scenario 2: Our main targets were available and went elsewhere. It’s unfortunate but we go back to the drawing board and start again.

We don’t need a Maguire-Drew or Josh Barrett to get players in to fill the bench.

Liquid Gold

If we’re towards the end of this 5 year plan, I’d totally understand the willingness to gamble. But we’re not and we’re in a good position to be patient and wait for the right players.

Scenario 1: Our main targets are unavailable this window but will be in the summer. We just have to wait it out and I’m ok with that.

Scenario 2: Our main targets were available and went elsewhere. It’s unfortunate but we go back to the drawing board and start again.

We don’t need a Maguire-Drew or Josh Barrett to get players in to fill the bench.
I walked past Josh Barrett after a game once and said to my mate that's the guy from Reading who everyone says is fat and I thought I was gonna get a slap.

Same season I saw Rod McDonald walking out of the arena with just a JD sports bag like he'd been to PE.

God bless League 2.

skybluecam

Loan deal.

Even if we were paying 20k a week for someone that’s 500k total. Worth the gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread