David McGoldrick off to Ipswich (1 Viewer)

Bad Boy

Just watch his form dip.

The formula was right with us.

covcity4life

fucking pathetic some of you guys

he was a loan player and hes chosen a team in a better league

and you turn on him after 18 goals in 3-4 months

crazy

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Absolute bollocks. Were a third division club. There is no way we can afford ten grand a week. Ever heard of financial fair play?

I tried to educate some with this one earlier, but it fell on deaf ears. It's 65% of turnover this season I believe.

But some folk thought our rent levels had a bearing on this. Tsk...

SkyBlue_Bear83

I tried to educate some with this one earlier, but it fell on deaf ears. It's 65% of turnover this season I believe.

But some folk thought our rent levels had a bearing on this. Tsk...
Our rent doesn't effect the maximum amount we can spend on wages under the fair play rulings but surely it would effect weather we could reach that maximum amount?

If we were say 20k under the maximum allowed wages that financial fair play allows us, that is rougly 1 million for the year. If SISU started paying the 1.2 million rent again rather than 300-350k then that 20k per week would likely go on the rent instead of the playing squad?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
"The chance to come and play for a Club of Ipswich’s size and under a manager like Mick McCarthy was something that I just couldn’t turn down"

A club of Ipswich's size? Don't all new sigings say that about any club they join? :D

oakey

Can I take issue with the assertion that we would all leave our job for a pay rise. If you are already on good money, spare cash to spend, successful and well liked at work many would stay put. I, for one, would not change jobs as I am 5 minutes from workplace, settled and successful. If I moved for more money I would have more to lose than I would gain.
Chances are Goldie will look back at his time here as the golden spell in a career of mediocrity. Still, it's his choice and I have no hard feelings towards him ... He's just a footballer.

kg82

Teach them that in a very high majority of the cases, if a player has a chance to choose a team higher then us, or earn more money, he will take it and wave us goodbye. Im not saying it in some aggressive 'well that'll teach you' manner you know!

Alot of fans from what they are posting or what ive heard seem a bit gutted by this, even up until today. I remember accepting he was going after the loan after I watched him score the goal against Leyton Orient, some time in October. So it doesnt hurt as much, what with expecting it and all.

Normally when I say "that'll teach so and so" it's meant in that way! So thanks for clearing it up!

AFCCOVENTRY

He is too good for L1 and if he stayed with us it doesn't guarantee him Championship footy next season.

He put himself in the shop window with us, got a Championship move on loan and the. Can join whoever he wants in summer.

Lets thank him for the goals and all the best to him.

Clarke will be a suitable replacement who is tied to us for a few years.

rupert_bear

Haven't read all the threads bit i'll just say David McGoldrick has his whole future to take into account, i think if we had offered a deal to him he would have stayed, but for whatever reason we didn't, could be the badboys SISU or it could be Mark Robins has other ideas, don't rule that out. Will be interesting to see what happens next because aswell as Leon Clarke we now need another striker. Anyone slagging McGoldrick is a joker frankly, he was here for 3 or 4 months and did the business, that should be applauded..

dadgad

Football is shit, played by greedy morons, watched by planks. No heroes anymore, no role models.
Actually it's just a mirror image of every other walk of life.
:-(

SkyBlue_Bear83

Haven't read all the threads bit i'll just say David McGoldrick has his whole future to take into account, i think if we had offered a deal to him he would have stayed, but for whatever reason we didn't, could be the badboys SISU or it could be Mark Robins has other ideas, don't rule that out. Will be interesting to see what happens next because aswell as Leon Clarke we now need another striker. Anyone slagging McGoldrick is a joker frankly, he was here for 3 or 4 months and did the business, that should be applauded..
Who says we didn't offer him a deal?

Pretty sure Mcgoldrick said in one of his last interviews he has an offer from Coventry

WillieStanley

Of course, it could be that the "view to a permanent" has already been agreed between Forest and Ipswich. Perhaps that is what Forest were trying to broker with us, only for Ipswich to gazzump us? As with Clarke, the loan deal being smashed through just to speed up his eligability to play. Transfers with fees tend to take a while, and from the rumoursabout DMG and their 'keepers wife, it would make sense to do that just to keep him away from their training ground.

We create chances and lots of them now. We have secured the midfield so hopefully a good striker can finish them. Big boots to fill though for any striker so lets hope Leon is the man as we have not seen anything like DMG sinc Dublin IMO.

Good look to DMG and lets hope he gets the service to do what he clearly does best.

kg82

Not bitter, it's refreshing to see people, who think they've bettered themselves, fail.

Why is it?

Also, that's basically a definition of bitterness.

Also also, he's only joined today, so your prediction of failure is slightly premature.

Mucca Mad Boys

Why is it?

Also, that's basically a definition of bitterness.

Also also, he's only joined today, so your prediction of failure is slightly premature.

I made a general statement regarding failure is refreshing when the person who thinks they're going places fail. More aimed at Westwood and Clingan (possibly Cranie).

I for one, think he'll be a failure at ITFC.

Don't get me wrong, if he does well, fair play to him, but I'd prefer if he does shit, and CCFC over take him. Surely that's what everyone wants!?

kg82

Why would I want him to fail? He's been amazing for us. It was a loan move, he's done his job and he's got a better move out of it. We've moved up the table. Job done for both sides. I want to overtake Ipswich, of course. I don't want McGoldrick to fail. I wish him all the best.

SkyblueBazza

Makes me laugh all the "He goes where the money is Shite"........Why shouldn't he get a decent deal for himself? They are Championship and Forest get a fee, They wouldnt give him to us free and i bet we couldn't even offer a half decent wage!

Was great loan player, scored good and plenty goals. Has helped put us in good posistion, i hope he continues doing well. But mostly, that Clarke picks up where he left and 2013 ends with success.

I agree with your "follow the money" approach but the pre-amble full of lovely-dovey stuff for the fans & the club both old-hat & sickening. Those who are taken in by it are simply naive IMO. Never believe until you have the concrete proof!

SkyblueBazza

Why would I want him to fail? He's been amazing for us. It was a loan move, he's done his job and he's got a better move out of it. We've moved up the table. Job done for both sides. I want to overtake Ipswich, of course. I don't want McGoldrick to fail. I wish him all the best.

Agree...done great for us & I wish him all the best.

sotv1987

Why don't we just get over mcgoldrick and move on, he's done a great job for us, he deserves his move and we should thank him for his services, end of, nick, no more threads, it's done!!!! I'm sure Leon will be a suitable replacement!!!

ps1948

Can I take issue with the assertion that we would all leave our job for a pay rise. If you are already on good money, spare cash to spend, successful and well liked at work many would stay put. I, for one, would not change jobs as I am 5 minutes from workplace, settled and successful.

Ask Kieran Westwood. Big house in Sunderland, and a nice comfy chair to watch Sunderland play every week, before going home to check his bank account

I too, don't begrudge him his move, and accept that it was always unlikely that he might stay - the only footballer I can instantly recall who stayed at a club because he loved them rather than move for more money was Steve Bull at Wolves

Brighton Sky Blue

For starters, I said "probably".

I guess there would've been Saints fans, who at the time of his move to NFFC, said what you have just said.

McG has done well for himself at CCFC, but the team was built around him, or developed around him (either way), he isn't going to get that at ITFC, he might have to find himself coming off the bench to earn a starting place, or might be an unused sub quite often.

Thing is, he had to go to Ipswich, I hate Ipswich, them, the Welsh CCFC, Leicester, Villa I cannot stand! Hate them.

Given that Ipswich are the anti-Norwich of this world I hope he scores a hatful.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ask Kieran Westwood. Big house in Sunderland, and a nice comfy chair to watch Sunderland play every week, before going home to check his bank account

I too, don't begrudge him his move, and accept that it was always unlikely that he might stay - the only footballer I can instantly recall who stayed at a club because he loved them rather than move for more money was Steve Bull at Wolves

Matt Le Tissier too.

Perhaps he would have been worth more as the leading top scorer of L1. That to himself in terms of future wages rather than moving now.

stupot07

ditto .

albatross

I think DMG was fantastic for us and was the in the goal scoring form of his life. I think we sould be thankful that we had him when we did.

That said I do find his decision a little puzzling and think there is more to this than meets the eye.
The reason
1) With CCFC he was in the form of his life and probably attracting attention
2) He can sign a pre contact with any club today but went to Ipswich on loan (Why?)
3) Very few strikers of 24/25 yrs of age that are successful in the lower leagues will take that form to a higher league.
4) He is taking a real gamble as by the end of the season unless he has another 10 for Ipswich he will be yesterday’s news.
I think that being a free agent in six months he would choose to be in a team where he is the star and not competing to be the star. Ipswich or Forest it will be much harder to stand out.
I wish him all the best and success where ever he goes but believe we will have had the most prolific period of is career and i will be very surprised if he is in a similar position come June.

Very happy with MR’s decision to have a replacement in before he left. Think it shows that he is building a team and will not allow any individual to be irreplaceable.
CCFC will continue onwards and upwards.

Users who are viewing this thread