David Duckham (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

He was one of the best English rugby players of all time some say THE best just a bit early for the World Cup glory era.

Kneeza

He was one of the best English rugby players of all time some say THE best just a bit early for the World Cup glory era.
Certainly one of the best outside or inside backs ever, but even he bowed to his predecessor Peter Jackson. That man could turn defenders inside out with his step.

AndreasB

That’s true. Down in no small part to the incredible network of sports clubs and societies associated to the vast industries across the City plus people from all across the country and world moving here. I think we all know what happened next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalcSB

Throughout the 60s & 70s we had the best rugby team in the country, the best speedway team, in Godiva Harriers one of the best athletic clubs in the country and swimming club, where did it all go wrong.
City of Sport - all down to the council.

Paxman II

Now I'm no lover of the game but even I remember this fella really well. A master of his game who excited and brought a refreshing skill set that was ahead of his time. Brillant player, may he RIP and thanks for the memories.

Tile Hill Phil

Throughout the 60s & 70s we had the best rugby team in the country, the best speedway team, in Godiva Harriers one of the best athletic clubs in the country and swimming club, where did it all go wrong.
I’ve often thought that as a kid growing up in Cov late sixties and early seventies. At the time i was probably too young to appreciate how good our local sports teams were. My mate reckons as regards the rugby we got left behind when teams turned professional and we stayed as an amateur rugby club.

LastGarrison

My hero too. I remember as a boy running on to the pitch at Coundon Road to get his autograph.
I can't find any mention of this on the Cov Tel website. Absolutely disgraceful.
Really?? That is a disgrace considering I read an article about him on the main BBC sport page earlier.

slowpoke

I’ve often thought that as a kid growing up in Cov late sixties and early seventies. At the time i was probably too young to appreciate how good our local sports teams were. My mate reckons as regards the rugby we got left behind when teams turned professional and we stayed as an amateur rugby club.
That’s a whole different story, Cov refused to accept professional rugby, mind you the financial state the sport is now at top level makes you wonder if they had a point.

A lot of youngsters probably wouldn’t know but the bulk of the then England national squad were Cov players.

capel & collindridge

So sad. I used to sit next to him at school. I knew him before he learned to catch. Even then he was quick enough sometimes to pick a dropped ball up and still run with it. That's why he, like me, was only a regular in the Henry VIII Under 12s Second XV. Can't for the life of me remember what they thought I could do!

JonesBob

I lived in Wolston, growing up, and went to school in Rugby and it always saddens me to see how people dislike a game that was created/invented just 10 miles away from Coventry. I have always supported Rugby Lions (their demise was even more scandalous than CCFC), Cov Rugby, Coventry Bees (and stockcar) and CCFC and most local non-league football teams. In nearly all cases greed, through unscrupulous owners or land purchasers, or nutcase people who want to turn the club into an elite member for their own ego feed.
I am extremely fortunate to have seen and in some cases met Ole Olsen, Tommy Hutchinson and David Duckham and many more 'heroes' to us youngsters growing up. RIP DD.

Users who are viewing this thread