Dave Sexton (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Won't be remembered as a great manager, but by all accounts he was a decent bloke and a football man to his fingernails. RIP

wingy

coventry8182shoot.jpg

CJparker

Who is the guy on the top row, second from left?

DazzleTommyDazzle

Dave Sexton built an exciting young team at Coventry to follow up his earlier success at Chelsea and QPR and his spell as Man United manager.

In my view he was very unlucky to be sacked when the then new Chairman Iain Jameson brought in Bobby Gould (for his first spell as manager). It seemed like the players thought so too, as Sealey, Thomas, Dyson, Gillespie, Whitton, Francis and Hateley (I might have forgotten a couple...) all decided to move on.

RIP Dave.

wingy

Thompson....Hately....Gillespie....Dyson (Not Hoovers)....Whitton....Ferguson

McGuire??....??.....Sealey....Blythe.....Jacobs............Daly

Hunt ......English.....Thomas .....Sexton....Gooding ....Roberts ......Bodak(Bodaks the name Goals are the game)

Otis

Thompson....Hately....Gillespie....Dyson (Not Hoovers)....Whitton....Ferguson

McGuire??...Rudi Kaiser? ...Sealey....Blythe.....Jacobs............Daly

Hunt ......English.....Thomas .....Sexton....Gooding ....Roberts ......Bodak(Bodaks the name Goals are the game)

Kaiser? And not sure that is McGuire. Can't think of the bloke's name.

Otis

Never heard of it. But have now and will check it out!

Tips hat in general direction! ;)

Amazonian

Forgive me but aren't we missing the meaning of this thread!

Regardless of our connection, he served England and a number do clubs with distinction.

As a Coventry fan I send my sincere condolences to his family.

A top man.

Always remembered, never forgotten at CCFC.

Hope we pay the appropriate respects.

Mark

Wolves_SkyBlue

Kaiser? And not sure that is McGuire. Can't think of the bloke's name.

Tommy English was one of the most frustrating strikers to ever play for CCFC - on his day he had great skill but boy on an off day he couldn't hit a barn door...

A cup game away at Ipswich in the late 70s springs to mind (94 Cov fans in attendance since I was able to count them) - he missed so many chances.

Tonylinc

Tommy English was one of the most frustrating strikers to ever play for CCFC - on his day he had great skill but boy on an off day he couldn't hit a barn door...

A cup game away at Ipswich in the late 70s springs to mind (94 Cov fans in attendance since I was able to count them) - he missed so many chances.
Tommy English was never blessed with great skill but what he did have was the ability to be in the right place at the right time and hence scored a lot of goals. What price now for such a player?

neilyboy67

sad news, great club cv. I remember his tenure up here as the dawning of a new era. No fences, plastic sky blue seats, big T kit, west brom away qf fa cup.

dadgad

Great guy well respected throughout the game. Had a great young side going here - we should have stuck with him.
As he was sacked does that mean he won't get a minutes silence?:thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

Paxman II

he made his name at Chelsea. Went on to be a very respected coach for England and was known for his 'continental' style of play, way ahead of his time. Later as with all managers he began to lose his midas touch and moved on a bit with one or two short etrm appointments (Coventry was one) but never was able to re-kindle his mark.
His leagacy will be with Chelsea and England.
May he rest in peace and enjoy all the re-runs up in God's country...

DazzleTommyDazzle

he made his name at Chelsea. Went on to be a very respected coach for England and was known for his 'continental' style of play, way ahead of his time. Later as with all managers he began to lose his midas touch and moved on a bit with one or two short etrm appointments (Coventry was one) but never was able to re-kindle his mark.
His leagacy will be with Chelsea and England.
May he rest in peace and enjoy all the re-runs up in God's country...

Not sure about these short term appointments?

He managed Chelsea (first FA cup win), QPR (highest ever finish), did 4 or 5 years at Man Utd and then came to us for 2 seasons - which is longer than most of our managers in the last 10 years have managed.

Will we ever have a manager of his stature again?

torchomatic

RIP Dave. After GM he was the second manager I really remember from when I first starting going regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread