Darren Huckerby - journeyman? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Dreamer is clueless

Why?

I never said those after him (or before him for that matter) were faultless or not deserving of criticism - McGinnity and his mates with a seating company, GR and the Keane money etc, but the reason we are where we are can be traced back to decisions he took. He went around spending money we didn't have, far too over-reliant on the PL money with no contingency if we went down. He paid himself a huge salary and bonuses for poor business decisions that left us with few capital assets but large outgoings. He surrounded himself with yes men who as long as they got their share wouldn't stand up to him. We ended up in massive debt and nearly going out of existence because of him because after that people were fighting a bush fire with a soda stream.

Grendel

Why?

I never said those after him (or before him for that matter) were faultless or not deserving of criticism - McGinnity and his mates with a seating company, GR and the Keane money etc, but the reason we are where we are can be traced back to decisions he took. He went around spending money we didn't have, far too over-reliant on the PL money with no contingency if we went down. He paid himself a huge salary and bonuses for poor business decisions that left us with few capital assets but large outgoings. He surrounded himself with yes men who as long as they got their share wouldn't stand up to him. We ended up in massive debt and nearly going out of existence because of him because after that people were fighting a bush fire with a soda stream.

Ive explained why numerous times - the fact is every club did and continuous to overspend and gamble in the premier league - that’s the problem when one league has a massive prize and wage inflation

Richardson would have wound the club up. Zero debt start again no points ban and instant promotion - the main creditor and the pathetic creep Mcginnity (who was slaughtered in the Taylor report) threatened to spill their guts and force him out. We’d still be at highfield road and would have bounced back

Most clubs relegated during that time that didn’t get back met an ugly fate

DannyThomas_1981

Ive explained why numerous times - the fact is every club did and continuous to overspend and gamble in the premier league - that’s the problem when one league has a massive prize and wage inflation

Richardson would have wound the club up. Zero debt start again no points ban and instant promotion - the main creditor and the pathetic creep Mcginnity (who was slaughtered in the Taylor report) threatened to spill their guts and force him out. We’d still be at highfield road and would have bounced back

Most clubs relegated during that time that didn’t get back met an ugly fate

Interesting from many perspectives.

First of all I thought you hated everyone but it seems you actually like one person - Bryan Richardson must be delighted as he's in very elevated company. Anyway kudos to you Grendel for liking someone vs. the usual 'he's shit.' (Notice that you haven't been saying that about Max of late).

Second I thought it was Richardson who had legally completed the sale of HR prior to the move to the Ricoh - so not sure why even in your alternative universe/world view we'd still be there?

I agree that Richardson spent big and we all loved seeing that - but his managerial appointments were disastrous. Atkinson and Strachan ultimately got us relegated despite having millions to spend.

Terry Gibson's perm

First of all I thought you hated everyone but it seems you actually like one person - Bryan Richardson must be delighted as he's in very elevated company. Anyway kudos to you Grendel for liking someone vs. the usual 'he's shit.' (Notice that you haven't been saying that about Max of late).

Second I thought it was Richardson who had legally completed the sale of HR prior to the move to the Ricoh - so not sure why even in your alternative universe/world view we'd still be there?

I agree that Richardson spent big and we all loved seeing that - but his managerial appointments were disastrous. Atkinson and Strachan ultimately got us relegated despite having millions to spend.

The loyalty to Strachan cost us he should have gone the season that we were relegated (wasnt the season before the one were we didn’t win a single game away), Strachan also showed to much loyalty to the cone carrier Pendry

fatso

He was an extremely exciting player, but also a frustrating one, and was caught offside more often than he should have been, given his blistering pace meant he could beat defenders even if they had a start on him. Strachan kind of got it right when he said Huckerby scored great goals rather than a great number of goals. He tended to score his goals in patches, often before and after Christmas time for some reason, and of course some of them were fabulous goals, but he did go for long dry spells too. By the time he was playing for Norwich he had become a much more consistent player, who read the game and his role in it much better than when he had played for us, when he was more raw. We got to see some great moments though and he was part of the 1997-98 team that was one of the best we have had so he deserves to be remembered as a top player, and certainly not a journeyman. That tag I would rather place on the likes of Richard Shaw..
How the fuck can you call Richard Shaw a journey man, he played over 500 games for 2 clubs, and only moved from city when his career was coming to an end.
Calling him a journeyman is a disgrace.

Sky Blue Pete

Hucks was a class striker.
The Dublin - Huckerby partnership was widely viewed as one of most lethal in the League.
Huckerby scared the life out of the opposition with his pace and finishing. And he had the ability to single handedly win matches - for example his performance on Boxing Day at Elland Road will always live in my memory.
Whoever called Hucks a journeyman could not be more wrong.
And away to Liverpool in the cup

Grendel

What a dumbass post

Richardson did not sell the rights to buy back the ground, he did not sell the shares to the new ground, he did not sell the f and b revenues of the new ground and probably most crucially did not have a bid going through for the new ground seats

DannyThomas_1981

What a dumbass post

Richardson did not sell the rights to buy back the ground, he did not sell the shares to the new ground, he did not sell the f and b revenues of the new ground and probably most crucially did not have a bid going through for the new ground seats

Look moron don’t change the subject as you always seem to do when losing arguments.

You grandly stated in your first post that we’d have remained at HR if your super business hero BR had remained in charge.

To my knowledge HR was fully and legally sold by BR in 1999? Making it impossible to remain there over the long term. Not to mention all of the legal aspects at reneging on the new stadium. Yes or no?

Grendel

Look moron don’t change the subject as you always seem to do when losing arguments.

You grandly stated in your first post that we’d have remained at HR if your super business hero BR had remained in charge.

To my knowledge HR was fully and legally sold by BR in 1999? Making it impossible to remain there over the long term. Not to mention all of the legal aspects at reneging on the new stadium. Yes or no?
No you are wrong

baldy

Fair enough. I take it to mean someone who has a long career and is bang average, so to my mind Shaw was very much a journeyman. If it just means someone whose played for a lot of clubs then the likes of Robbie Keane & Ibrahimovic would also be journeymen players. However, the term is generally used in derogatory terms which is why I presume the OP objected to it being applied to Huckerby.

You really don’t know what ‘journeyman’ means do you? The clue’s even in the word...Richard Shaw was blatantly not one either

Grendel

You failed to answer the question as always. Did BR agree and execute the sale of HR? Yes or no?

That’s not the question you asked - you said was it fully and legally sold in 1999 making it impossible to return

Answer - no it wasn’t - it was fully and legally sold making it impossible to return later when Richardson was removed - this is common knowledge why you deny it is odd

Users who are viewing this thread