Darren Brown Apocalypse (1 Viewer)

Otis

Here is DB's response below. I have to say myself that he says does sound all completely rational an explanation.

DB: BLOG

Despite conspiracy theories and rumours online, Steven is not a stooge, or an actor, or in any way just playing along. Same goes for his family and friends that you see in the programme. They’d all have to be actors too. And all his REAL family – and anyone that knows him – taken away and quietly killed.

My shows always provoke a flurry of people insisting it’s all fake, and I’ve come to expect that – exhausting and hurtful though it can be after months and months of love and sweating blood to make such massively ambitious and heart-felt programmes.

I have never, ever used stooges or actors in that way. It’s artistically repugnant, lazy and just unnecessary. And impossible to pull off, as anyone that knows him would of course be able to say so. We spent months setting up Steven’s experience, getting his family on board, and spending a vast sum of money making it as convincing as possible for him, and all our efforts making sure that he experienced a real transformation.

To fake all of that with an actor would be pointless. A few theories have sprung up online – firstly that he is a working actor who has appeared in a comedy ad. I’ve seen the ad – that is not Steven. That is an actor with dark eyebrows who does look hilariously like him, but isn’t:

Annoyingly similar: but not the same guy. Left: Steven Brosnan (now a teacher) and family. Right: Karl Greenwood (actor who starred in a noodle ad.)

Others have found a picture of Steven with Adam Buxton taken four years ago when Adam was filming a pilot in Steven’s home town. Steven was an audience member and had his photo taken with Adam. Standing with an actor in a photograph does not make you an actor. Adam says “He was not an acting in the pilot. He was in the audience.”

Lastly, concern has sprung up in some quarters because Steven had a profile page on a popular casting site where a lot of people of all ages put themselves up for extra work and crowd/audience stuff for TV shows (this was NOT how we found him but a lot of people sign up hoping to be on TV). He has since changed/tried to remove his profile as he was upset at the negative attention from people who took it to mean he was actually an actor.

Have received this unsolicited comment from Simon Dale who runs Casting Call Pro, the website in question:

“We’ve seen the rumours that a person on Derren Brown’s show is an actor, and all the tweets etc. surrounding it, and the media reporting of it.”
“Steve Brosnan is not, as far as we are aware, a professional actor. He created a profile on our site but never completed it, and didn’t upload any professional acting credits or a professional acting headshot – and so his profile was never ‘live’ on our system as he didn’t meet our joining criteria (i.e. he didn’t have professional acting training or experience).”

Aside from an ‘ensemble’ school production he has never, ever, ever acted. Even if he returns to this early interest in the future (his brother works as an occasional actor so it’s possible he might), it won’t mean he was acting in this show.

All the people who take part in these shows are 100% real. Matt Galley, from Hero at 30,000 ft had similar accusations of being a stooge, from similar conspiracy-driven quarters after his show. Part of the pity of these rumours are that it’s always hurtful for the participants involved who have been through an emotional, transformative experience, are feeling really good about themselves and have been looking forward to the show going out. It’s horrible.

Steven was chosen from thousands who applied to be part of the show, as we explained at the start. He was chosen because he was suggestible enough to allow me to put him asleep quickly, fit our desired profile of someone who took his life for granted, and yet was likeable enough to carry the show – a rare combination. His mum, dad and family are all real too. They are a family living in Buckinghamshire.

On another note – it simply wouldn’t be permissible now to pretend someone was a real member of the public if he or she was acting. Misleading the public in a TV show is a big deal, and a massive lie like that wouldn’t be permitted by the channel. But that’s beside the point: I just don’t use actors in that way. These stunts are not faked. You can just enjoy the show.

kg82

I watched this last night, hadn't read any comments or anything on it before I watched it (bit of a heavy weekend). I like Derren Brown, he doesn't claim to do magic, quite the opposite. But when I watched it last night I had a lot of questions over this guys reactions pretty much every minute once he'd woken up in the hospital. His facial expressions didn't seem genuine, when he spoke it seemed scripted... I might be being cynical, but that's how it seemed to me. Then there's the questions over the ethics of this "experiment". They may have had him psychologically analysed before but with this sort of thing, no matter how small a chance of it going wrong, I'm not sure they'd be allowed to let it go ahead without the permission of the participant.

Otis

But surely when they all went for the audition they would all have had to sign up for any experiment as part of the process and give Derren Brown full permission to do whatever.

kg82

But surely when they all went for the audition they would all have had to sign up for any experiment as part of the process and give Derren Brown full permission to do whatever.

What audition?

Otis

They all went to be on the show didn't they. Hundreds of people at the auditions right at the start of the show. The selection process.

At that stage they would have all had to sign an agreement/disclaimer wouldn't they.

kg82

I missed the very beginning! I'm a bit confused though - this guy went to audition to be on the show? So he knew what it was about?

Otis

No. They all went to be on a show, but had no notion of what the show was going to be or be about. The ad was just 'Do you want to be part of an experiment on the next Darren Brown tv show.'

They were all auditioned and he was told he failed the audition.

Brown then contacted his friends and family to do the ground work.

The bloke thought he had failed the audition and had no idea he was in the show.

Last edited:

kg82

This is why I asked. With psychology experiments there has to be something called informed consent, meaning the participants know what they're getting in to. I'm sure this show would have to come under those ethics guidelines if it was genuine?

Otis

Which is why they would have all signed the consent forms at the audition stage.

No point having someone pass the audition and then not give consent. They would have got consent at audition stage for all the would be participants.

kg82

Which is why they would have all signed the consent forms at the audition stage.

No point having someone pass the audition and then not give consent. They would have got consent at audition stage for all the would be participants.

It wouldn't be informed though if they didn't know what they were getting into. You can't be told its just his next show, its deliberately misleading!

Otis

So all his shows are a fraud then? That what you are saying?

Haven't seen the consent forms of course, but surely they must state that you agree to take part in an experiment that includes hypnotism and mind control etc. Whatever. There is an experiment and you allow Derren Brown the full access to what he needs to conduct that experiment.

Don't quite understand the argument here. The 'informed' bit is that they give their consent to take part in an experiment.

If everyone always had to know exactly what every experiment was for every performer then there would be nothing anyone could do.

What happens with people who go on stage in a stage show and are hypnotised and made to do things they wouldn't normally do?

kg82

I'm not arguing, I'm just telling you what the rules are. Not ny rules, a governing body's rules. And his shows don't try and convince people the apocalypse is happening.

kg82

The show may come under different rules because of its nature (illusion). I just think, if genuine, it's walking an ethical tightrope. But then, I don't think it was genuine!

Otis

There are a few of these posts about from people who took part.

One example.

I find this all hilarious! I was an extra in the filming of apocalypse, and I was even in the very same audition as Steve and saw for my own eyes that he was definitely not an actor! I am not an actress, but they used people from the audition process who were unsuccessful to play the zombies. And trust me, Derren is NOT a fake.

As I say, I have found a fair few. They must have had hundreds of 'actors' for this.

kg82

There are a few of these posts about from people who took part.

One example.

I find this all hilarious! I was an extra in the filming of apocalypse, and I was even in the very same audition as Steve and saw for my own eyes that he was definitely not an actor! I am not an actress, but they used people from the audition process who were unsuccessful to play the zombies. And trust me, Derren is NOT a fake.

As I say, I have found a fair few. They must have had hundreds of 'actors' for this.

Fair enough. As an example, lots if bands used to use this method where they went onto message boards and posted under numerous aliases from different ip addresses to drum up genuine popularity for their band. Not that I am saying that's what's happened, but things like that can be explained and I'm remaining dubious!

Otis

Fair enough.

Not having a go at you here but why did no-one say anything about informed consent when he did his bank robbery show or his seance show or his show about the guy believing he was landing a plane at 30,000 feet etc.?

He's been doing these kinds of shows for 13 years. Why only now that people are bringing up informed consent as an issue?

Besides, there is a waiver.

'Waiver of the informed consent requirement may be applied in certain circumstances where no foreseeable harm is expected to result from the study or when permitted by law, regulations, or if an ethical review committee has approved the non-disclosure of certain information.'

kg82

Fair enough.

Not having a go at you here but why did no-one say anything about informed consent when he did his bank robbery show or his seance show or his show about the guy believing he was landing a plane at 30,000 feet etc.?

He's been doing these kinds of shows for 13 years. Why only now that people are bringing up informed consent as an issue?

Besides, there is a waiver.

'Waiver of the informed consent requirement may be applied in certain circumstances where no foreseeable harm is expected to result from the study or when permitted by law, regulations, or if an ethical review committee has approved the non-disclosure of certain information.'

I didn't see those shows and like I said, I'm just surprised that, if genuine, they'd allow it!

Otis

He's been doing it for years.

In The Heist he had someone running round with a gun holding up a security van. And in the airline one he had this guy believing he had a land a plane full of passengers and that everyone's life was in his hands.

I did think this bloke in this one reacted rather strangely to everything. But if he is an actor he's a bloody rubbish one.

kg82

He's been doing it for years.

In The Heist he had someone running round with a gun holding up a security van. And in the airline one he had this guy believing he had a land a plane full of passengers and that everyone's life was in his hands.

I did think this bloke in this one reacted rather strangely to everything. But if he is an actor he's a bloody rubbish one.

I thought the same. Some of his reactions weren't what I would expect. Just seemed a bit plastic and scripted - so yeah, you're right, if he's an actor... Give it up mate!

Otis

[video=youtube;AqAqhaa0DhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqAqhaa0DhE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Derren Brown answers critics.

Otis

Also been doing a bit of digging and found someone who has purportedly been to an audition for one of DB's experiments in the past.

He says this about informed consent.

Derren Brown has done many shows like this. You apply to be on the show as I have and on the application it says you must give your consent for them to do what ever they want. They do not tell you what the show is or when it is or you are ever successful. They get help from people around you. The application form is very in-depth. You know they wont kill or harm you and if you're under hypnosis then he is in total control. Not seen this latest show yet but assume its run like the others

Johnnythespider

I don't care how lazy, selfish, unambitious and ignorant he might be, i don't think there is a mum in the world who would have her son believing the world was ending just to get him to tidy his bedroom. My missus is quite suggestible and she thinks it's bullcrap. one other thing, why would a person who is all the things above want to be on a show in the first place and how would they find out about the auditions, through an agent maybe ?

Otis

DB tweeted that he was looking for participants and had over 5,000 replies.

And it wasn't just about tidying his bedroom, his mum was in tears over the way he was and his lack of responsibility and consideration for others. And this is what DB does. He tries to make positive impacts on people's lives as a result of his little experiments.

Don't understand why people are suddenly focusing on this. He's been doing the same thing for 13 years and now people say it's bullcrap? I don't get it. If it was all fake and fraud how on earth has he been doing it for 13 years without being unmasked?

The bloke's behaviour on the programme did seem strange but then watching his private life through the keyhole he did come across as a bit of a twat.

Otis

Was reading a number of DB forums on this matter and the key point many posters alluded to was the fact people were questioning it all without even seeing the 2nd episode. Only half way through and people were trying to pick it apart.

Well, just watched the 2nd half and have to say it all looked totally genuine to me. Faking the thing would have just be ridiculous, pointless and a total waste of money.

There was no magic trick here, just an experiment to try and get the best out of a person and help him to be a better, more caring and considerate individual.

All seemed totally genuine to me watching the whole thing and as it reached its climax the whole thing became quite moving and touching.

I think the doubts and fake accusations were ill placed.

I do question a number of things DB does and some I sense are indeed just a magic trick, but this was so much more and to just dismiss it as magic is disingenuous I feel.

All in all a very worthwhile experiment and it did make me feel a little better about humanity.

maxell

mind control

I read in the above post of whats the point, I feel that there is a very powerful message here, but not sure who from "dareen, or chanel 4. Think about this. Did any of you actually witness 911 live, and where have you gained most of your information about 911 from, ??? I never sore it live , all I know about about it is what I have read or what has been shown to me on tv. Why is there so much growing evedence of what we sore was fabrication , have we all been darren browned. Can anybody see any resemblances now. Now ask yourself what is the point is it channel 4 attempt to copy the BBC (british brain washing company) or expose tv networks how we can all be easily brainwashed.

Last edited:

maxell

There is a couple of things that struck me as weak, in the opening naration daren says that he used so many cameras and 2000 meters od cable thats really not much cable for an film set, the second error is when the guys car wont start and the breifed mechanic rolls up "daren says the car wont start as they have removed the starter moter fuse" but you can clearly hear the starter motor turning the engine, the only fuse a starter motor may have would be to protect it (removal of said fuse would disable the motor from turning full stop)

Otis

Copy the BBC?

The BBC didn't create 9/11 I don't think. I maybe wrong though. :facepalm:

Cannot see what you are trying to say at all. Derren Brown just wanted to see if he could change one individual's life for the better.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
How do we know it's changed the blokes life though? Surely this will only be realised over a period of quite some time (years perhaps?). Waste of money and resources if you ask me. The only bloke it's improved is Derren Brown - and by that I mean his bank balance! :pimp:

Otis

His family and friends have said he has changed.

He was a layabout lounging on the sofa watching tv and being a slob and not caring about anyone, family included. Since the programme he has become a school teacher.

Chalk and cheese.

Sky

So he's magically done all the training to become a school teacher in a couple of months and found himself a job?..... Well it is derren brown afterall.

Sky

Also I think the whole thing went too perfectly with the guy doing and saying everylast thing DB wanted him to say without fail

Otis

So he's magically done all the training to become a school teacher in a couple of months and found himself a job?..... Well it is derren brown afterall.

Why you saying a couple of months? You know when it was filmed then?

If it was a fake the whole thing would be totally pointless and utterly ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time. DB sells out every stage show 10 times over and tours just about every year. He has such a massive fanbase that he doesn't even need to do tv. He's a very rich man anyway. He doesn't need the tv. He just uses that money from Channel 4 to make the shows there more expansive.

Without the tv he would just do the stage shows and it wouldn't be so huge an experiment.

I guess the doubters simply haven't seen him live. He is a very, very clever man indeed. His shows aren't just about magic they're about mis-direction, hypnosis, mind control, sleight of hand and so much more.

Sometimes on stage I can see it's just a trick, but other things he does are just so clever it is like a genius at work.

I am of course a massive fan of his, but not just his shows, him as a person. A fantastic painter and artist and a very well educated man indeed.

At the same time though I would be the first on the bandwagon to be shouting fake if I believed it for one second.

This one seemed very genuine. To create anything else as I say would have been a total waste of money and pointless exercise. What on earth would it achieve? Nothing. There are enough people in this world to see through stupid magic tricks and the whole thing would just simply unravel.

Totally pointless for him to make anything other than a genuine programme here bearing in mind what the goal was supposed to be.

There would be no point faking this. Over 200 actors and all that expense and time for what? Just to make a naff zombie movie? Doesn't make sense.

maxell

bbc 911

Copy the BBC?

The BBC didn't create 9/11 I don't think. I maybe wrong though. :facepalm:

Cannot see what you are trying to say at all. Derren Brown just wanted to see if he could change one individual's life for the better.

my point is if you did not witness the 911 event did it happen the way you were informed , the simalarities are brain washing an individual or the world its the same, the same prinicples are used of course you are right the bbc did not create 911 but the bbc were reporting that buildings had collapsed when they were clearly still standing in the background at the time the news item was being reported , how is it possible for a news network to inform the wt7 had collapsed when it had not , they clearly new it was going to fall as shortly after it did indeed fall (14 mins after I think), they just got the news timing wrong, "He who controls the media controls the minds" (orwell)

Last edited:

Otis

you are right but the bbc were reporting that buildings had collapsed when they were clearly still standing in the background , how is it possible for a news network to inform the wt7 had collapsed when it had not , they clearly new it was going to fall, just got the news timing wrong, "He who controls the media controls the minds" (orwell)

'He who controls the money is usually the wife.' (Otis)

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

maxell

weight loss and smoking

It does seem a bit elaborate to change someone life , when darren boasts that he can stop you smoking or lose weight by simply tapping your face which would cost about a tenner. or are we all part of the experiment, I wonder if my life will change after I watch it on s-y+ later. mind you its a strange parady that the world is really supposed to end this year with the same senareo, maybe we are being prepaired for th wose

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread