Danny Swanson opens up about depression and hits out at manager who snubbed him. (1 Viewer)

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Coventry City midfielder Danny Swanson has revealed his battle with depression and has slated the boss who snubbed him last season due to his condition.

Swanson checked into the Priory hospital four years ago during his days with Dundee United as the Tannadice club looked to help him tackle him mental health problems.

He came out the other side but his past resurfaced last summer after leaving Peterborough United, the Scot eventually signing for the Sky Blues after being snubbed by another manager because of his past.

The winger refuses to name and shame the manager involved but he admits he would have been better keeping quiet about his demons.

Swanson explained to the Daily Record: “I thought it made things easier when it came out in the open about my issues.

“I hoped it would help people and stuff but when I was leaving Peterborough things happened to make me think it might not have been the best idea.

“There was a team in League One, one of the top teams, whom I was supposed to be speaking to. But they turned me down because they heard I had been in The Priory.

“So I don’t know if it was a good thing coming out or not. It was an eye-opener. I will never forget it because I was delighted to speak to them but when they heard that they just said ‘no’.

“You could call it discrimination so I won’t name names and bring it all up. When I told my missus Holly, she broke down crying. I was angry and the next time we played them, I had to hold myself back because I was too pumped up.

“But that’s what happened and it made me think I shouldn’t have come out with it. That shouldn’t be the case because it helped me personally but then you get some idiots like that guy.

“My agent told me about it. He kept it quiet until after I signed for Coventry. But I will remember it, I won’t ever forget what that guy did.

“Hopefully now he looks at it and sees me playing every week but I’m not really bothered what he thinks now. He doesn’t have a clue because there are a lot of players with problems and I’d hate to think other folk get treated that way.

“Football is taking more notice of mental health problems and that’s a great thing. However, when you have people like that in the game, what chance do you have?”

Swanson signed a two-year contract with Steven Pressley's side instead but struggled for consistency in his 18 appearances. He joined SPL side St Johnstone in February and believes doing so helped put his career back on track.

The winger said: “I’ve been with managers who stood by me, like Peter Houston, Darren Ferguson, Steven Pressley and the gaffer here. So they are the people you respect.

“You just have to look after it and make sure you take your medication. You have to keep on top of it and try not to worry about things too much. It’s always there at the back of your mind but I feel good just now.

“I was injured for a long time at Dundee United and I think that’s where it all came from. I couldn’t see a way I was coming back. It just builds up and then hits you. These days I’m relaxed, I’m comfortable and I think that has come with having my little boy Roman.

“He’s seven months old now so you go home from training and forget about football. I love spending time with him and things are great.

“I am really settled off the park. Since my wee boy was born I have changed a lot. In the Dundee United days let’s just say I wasn’t settled.

New permanent Sky Blues boss Tony Mowbray has indicated he wants to assess Swanson in pre-season and the winger admits the prospect of helping Coventry back to the big time appeals to him.

He said: “They have released a few players because there was a big squad. So it’s just a case of speaking to the manager and seeing what his plans are and we’ll take it from there.

“My agent has spoken to him and he said he wants me back with a clean slate.”

Last edited:

steveccfc

I'd really like to see Swanson given a chance under Mowbray, as previously said he could be like a new signing for us. I remember going posh away a couple of seasons ago and thinking he was prob there best player against us. Maybe just needed that loan last season, still not sure what his actual position is though?

Otis

Maybe a new opportunity here will give him renewed hope and being valued will help his well-being.

armybike

Huge respect to him for speaking out about his depression.

Hobo

It could be like a new signing, he at least has some gametime under his belt now and perhaps has started to turn a corner. I think the loan was to give him gametime rather than to off load him. I notice he speaks well of Pressley where some on here would put everything down to Pressley falling out with players?

But regarding Swanson, having been brave enough to speak out about his problems I hope he turns his career back round. I would like that to be at Coventry. Good luck Danny.

Covrock

Having been there I can understand what he says and what he and his family go through. I sincerely wish them all the best and really hope that TM brings him back.

LB87ccfc

Oh Sorry but their is some fickle bastards on here, all slating the other day calling him another David Bell!

Hes far superior to bell, and when at Peterborough he ripped us a new one, with the right treatment and arm around the shoulder and attacking expressive football under TM this season, he could be a massive player for us, certainly when played in the correct position and told to just get on the ball and make things happen.

Huge admiration for him coming out and talking about this especially after witnessing first hand what depression does to people.

stupot07

Big respect for talking openly about his battle with depression. It's a cruel illness which is greatly misunderstood by a lot of people.

However, I still don't think he's good enough for us, and will be on decent wages to be a squad player. Time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

hill83

Oh Sorry but their is some fickle bastards on here, all slating the other day calling him another David Bell!

Hes far superior to bell, and when at Peterborough he ripped us a new one, with the right treatment and arm around the shoulder and attacking expressive football under TM this season, he could be a massive player for us, certainly when played in the correct position and told to just get on the ball and make things happen.

Huge admiration for him coming out and talking about this especially after witnessing first hand what depression does to people.

There's a good chance the people slating him are different people to the ones praising him. Just a thought.

LB87ccfc

Big respect for talking openly about his battle with depression. It's a cruel illness which is greatly misunderstood by a lot of people.

However, I still don't think he's good enough for us, and will be on decent wages to be a squad player. Time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Obviously never seen him play prior to been loaned out for family reasons when he was unfit and asked to move out on loan, one of the better technical players in the squad and one of the better wingers in the league when fit and firing.

stupot07

Obviously never seen him play prior to been loaned out for family reasons when he was unfit and asked to move out on loan, one of the better technical players in the squad and one of the better wingers in the league when fit and firing.

I've seen enough thanks. You need more than mere technique, look at Barton, look at nouble when he is fit and firing, etc. we need consistency, even if that means players with slightly less technical ability, but will put in 7/10 performances every game,

hill83

I'm not judging any player on how they performed under Pressley last season. Clean slate, fresh start.

stupot07

I'm not judging any player on how they performed under Pressley last season. Clean slate, fresh start.

Fair enough. I'm happy to be proven wrong. I just look at his career and it seems to me he's always struggle for consistency and has often been in and out of sides, which is odd for a player turning 29 this year,

LB87ccfc

I've seen enough thanks. You need more than mere technique, look at Barton, look at nouble when he is fit and firing, etc. we need consistency, even if that means players with slightly less technical ability, but will put in 7/10 performances every game,

Seen enough what one performance under a under achieving defence comes first manager in pressley from the bench , those who was at Colchester for example saw what he can do when he single handedly ripped Colchester a new one that day, having a sad life like mine and watching a lot of football, I saw what he can do under his time at Peterborough who was desperate to keep him when he come out of contract, certainly when in an attacking team like he was under Ferguson hes a game changer, and can do things others cannot.

A fresh start under a far superior manager will help Danny no end, especially with the attractive attacking football TM likes his sides to play, oh and before he signed here,a whole host of league one clubs were interested in acquiring his services.

Astute

You have to look at it from both sides.

I feel sorry for him. I used to know someone who had the same illness. His wife was stunning. Two great kids. Good job. Nice house. In fact just about everything that a lot of people would love. But he had times when he wouldn't even get out of bed. And having a drink when he was down was not a good idea. The rest of the time he was a great bloke. It took a few years to find out that it was his brother committing suicide that made him like it. And it was at that time of the year he was at his worse. He ended up committing suicide on the same date as his brother.

But can we afford to keep someone with a fragile mind? If he has got through the worse of it for sure then I say keep him. Otherwise leave him where he is happy. He would have to want to come back 100% with no doubts. His health is worth more than us having a player. And we can't afford to keep him if being away from Scotland is bad for him.

stupot07

lol still talking about nouble ahahah. kick it out.

stupot will be miserable if cov get promoted.

Kick what out? Mowbray released him, you accusing him of racism too?

LB87ccfc

You have to look at it from both sides.

I feel sorry for him. I used to know someone who had the same illness. His wife was stunning. Two great kids. Good job. Nice house. In fact just about everything that a lot of people would love. But he had times when he wouldn't even get out of bed. And having a drink when he was down was not a good idea. The rest of the time he was a great bloke. It took a few years to find out that it was his brother committing suicide that made him like it. And it was at that time of the year he was at his worse. He ended up committing suicide on the same date as his brother.

But can we afford to keep someone with a fragile mind? If he has got through the worse of it for sure then I say keep him. Otherwise leave him where he is happy. He would have to want to come back 100% with no doubts. His health is worth more than us having a player. And we can't afford to keep him if being away from Scotland is bad for him.

I am sure TM being the old dog he is would of come across this type of scenerio beforehand and will know how to treat the player, the player might also want a change of scenery, but reading between the lines, he sounds like he has come through a difficult period from last season and with his new baby bringing him strength and happiness , hopefully he can be more settled now and get back on form.

He certainly was on form for St Johnstone last season once his new new family member arrived.

stupot07

League appearances

Berwick 23 starts 19 subs
Dundee 48 starts 60 subs
Peterborough 35 starts 25 subs
Cov 8 starts 7 subs
St Johnstone 8 starts 3 subs

Total 122 starts 116 subs

LB87ccfc

League appearances

Berwick 23 starts 19 subs
Dundee 48 starts 60 subs
Peterborough 35 starts 25 subs
Cov 8 starts 7 subs
St Johnstone 8 starts 3 subs

Total 122 starts 116 subs

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...d/swanson-could-be-the-man-for-posh-1-3867433 - Before his move to Peterborough

Comments from Swanson and Ferguson when signed - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11764/7798631/Swanson-sold-on-Posh-move

Very unlucky to get his knee ligament injury at Dundee united when Premier league and Championship clubs at the time were regularly watching him.

LB87ccfc

Sounds like he's been through alot should be supported if its a case of a clean slate here -

Danny Swanson overcame a life-threatening heart defect to realise his dream and make it as a top-flight footballer.

THIRTEEN-year-old Danny Swanson had never been so excited.
Sitting in a hospital bed in the Sick Kids recovering from a heart operation, he suddenly caught sight of his heroes: Hibs stars Russell Latapy and Dirk Lehmann.

"Quick," he told his older brother John Paul, "help me get my Hibs top on".

What Danny didn't know was that his two favourite players had come to the hospital specially to see him, a visit organised by the club and his anxious family, who had feared he might not survive the operation.
The pair stayed for well over an hour chatting to the football-daft teenager about his favourite subject.
Today, 21-year-old Danny still loves nothing better than talking football, apart from playing it – which he does to considerable effect for Hibs' Scottish Premier League rivals Dundee United.
Hailed as one of the most exciting prospects in Scottish football, he looks to have the sporting world at his feet.

It is all such a far cry from those days at the Sick Kids, where the Swansons became familiar faces after Danny had to undergo two major operations to repair a hole in his heart – the first at the age of three. Danny had recovered well after the trauma of that first operation, establishing himself as a minor star on the city's youth football pitches, so it was a huge blow when tests showed he needed a heart bypass.
His family had to contend with the fear that he would never lead a full life, or even worse, not survive the operation.
But the biggest blow to the teenager himself – who had just returned from playing in the prestigious Gothia World Youth Cup in Sweden – was having to temporarily hang up his football boots.
"We thought it had gone, so we were devastated when he still had problems at 12," recalls his mum Catrina, 47. "He found out when he came back from Sweden."

His dad John, 46, adds: "It's something I'll never forget. It was less than 50 per cent odds he'd survive. I said to the doctor: 'That's my son you're talking about, not a bag of chips'."
Hibs-mad John used to tape all the club's matches and take them in to the Sick Kids for Danny to watch.

"I missed loads of school when I had the bypass," says Danny, as he relaxes at his parents' Ferry Road home.
"But it didn't even cross my mind that I wouldn't be able to still play football. It was just football for me, that was it."

Within a month, he was back on the football pitch, making his mark again.

After first catching the eye of Hutchison Vale, Danny played for Cowdenbeath, Leith Athletic under coach Rab Pagett, and Berwick Rangers, before United came calling.

Danny's skills were always obvious, though he had another hurdle to overcome – he is only 5ft 6in.
"We used to have to sellotape his shorts up because he was so wee," recalls John. "I just think he was a late developer because of all he's been through.
"Hibs and Rangers said he was too wee and he never got picked for the school teams because of his height. I said to him: 'It's to do with your height not your ability'."

Danny shrugs off his early disappointments, but his dad, a lifelong Hibee, is more forthright: "He's been on Hibs' doorstep for years, but it took a man like Craig Levein to spot a talent."
After signing for United, there was one more crunch to come, before he made his debut on January 2. He had to have a heart scan at Hampden before he could play in the SPL.

"That was the biggest panic I've had," admits John. "We were on the motorway afterwards and Craig Levein rang asking how he'd got on and we said we didn't know. That's when he told us he had passed with flying colours.
"That was a weight off my mind."
The tension was too much for Catrina who stayed in Edinburgh, chain-smoking as she waited anxiously for John's call.
"I didn't go to Hampden because I couldn't handle it. If he hadn't passed the scan he'd have been devastated."

The family clearly share a deep respect for Levein, the ex-Hearts manager who signed Danny for Dundee United from Berwick Rangers last summer.
"He said he'd been watching Danny since he was 14. He's a great manager," says John, words which in any other circumstances might have jarred with such a devoted Hibby.

It's an admiration reciprocated by Levein, who recently described Danny as the most talented player he'd ever worked with.
It's no small compliment from the ex-Hearts and Leicester boss whose charges have included internationals Paul Hartley, Keith Gillespie and Colin Cameron.
"I was gobsmacked when I heard that," admits Danny, looking slightly abashed. "But obviously I was very happy about it."

These days the former apprentice plumber trains four days a week, goes to the gym in the evenings and is home Wednesdays and weekends to see his family and his girlfriend Holly Drysdale, an 18-year-old dancer, from Trinity.
His enthusiasm for the game shines through whenever he speaks.

"I always wanted to be a professional for as long as I can remember. My dad brought me up to play football, so I always used to play.
"I was always obviously smaller than everyone else, so I thought I'd maybe grow and maybe get there, but it took its time happening. When I was about 16 I thought I had it to be professional.

"It was quite hard when I was in hospital but my mum and dad made it easier and I didn't let it get me down. I just knew I had to get it done."
What advice would he give other youngsters facing health problems?
"I'd tell them don't let it get in your way, keep going for what you want to go for," says Danny. "Don't let it get you down."
Catrina and John, who owns Gladstones pub on Hill Lane and plays in its over-35 team "the over the mill mob", have always encouraged all their three sons to play football.

John Paul, 24, a kitchen fitter, currently out of football action for Peebles due to a knee injury, is "over the moon" for his brother.
But Louis, 16, who plays for Loanhead, is less keen to take tips from his older sibling.
"Louis thinks he's going right to Man United," smiles John. "He's going to be a good one."

YOUNG 'GENIUS' SPOTTED EARLY

DANNY SWANSON's potential was spotted early by both Hutchison Vale and the Evening News.

Evening News sports writer Ian Mackay described him as a "genius" after watching him play for Leith Athletic in 2004.
He wrote: "There is something far wrong with the game when a player with the ability of Swanson is allowed to play in under-19 football.

"The boy is a genius, but in line with the pathetic attitude of professional clubs he is not quoted due to his size."

Dad John remembers the day his son was asked to play for the celebrated Hutchison Vale youth side.

"My older son was playing for Hutchy and Tam Smith who was in charge noticed Danny, who was only four-and-a-half, playing at the side.

"They were a player short so asked if he could make up the numbers. Now you have to imagine, he was a midget, but he was brilliant. They couldn't take the ball off him and Tam said to keep bringing him back."

stupot07

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...d/swanson-could-be-the-man-for-posh-1-3867433 - Before his move to Peterborough

Comments from Swanson and Ferguson when signed - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11764/7798631/Swanson-sold-on-Posh-move

Very unlucky to get his knee ligament injury at Dundee united when Premier league and Championship clubs at the time were regularly watching him.

Are you his dad?

Andrew Driver:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...coventry-citys-andrew-driver-interest-3082923

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/west-ham-enter-andrew-driver-3061576

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...l/2516470/6m-and-hes-yours-to-Drive-away.html

Like I said, big respect to him speaking out about depression, I can empathise with him as I've seen the effect it can have on people.

Anyway, can't be arsed with this. Can't wait for a midfield of

Swanson fleck Thomas JOB

Let the good times roll on.

Last edited:

LB87ccfc

Are you his dad?

Andrew Driver:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...coventry-citys-andrew-driver-interest-3082923

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/west-ham-enter-andrew-driver-3061576

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...l/2516470/6m-and-hes-yours-to-Drive-away.html

Like I said, big respect to him speaking out about depression, I can empathise with him as I've seen the effect it can have on people.

Does Andrew Driver play for Coventry City Football Club? Stupidity at its finest, I look forward to Swanson proving you wrong and will bump this thread up for you when you are on here tossing one off if he plays a superb game and your waxing lyrical later in the season.

But for me, I will back the lad whilst he plays in Sky Blue and encourage and not make judgement on someone who had issues outside of football affecting them last season and playing for a manager who was not interested in attacking players.

stupot07

Does Andrew Driver play for Coventry City Football Club? Stupidity at its finest, I look forward to Swanson proving you wrong and will bump this thread up for you when you are on here tossing one off if he plays a superb game and your waxing lyrical later in the season.

But for me, I will back the lad whilst he plays in Sky Blue and encourage and not make judgement on someone who had issues outside of football affecting them last season and playing for a manager who was not interested in attacking players.

I hope he proves me wrong, and I will back him if he plays, but I don't wax lyrical about any player after 1 good performance as even the likes of Jordan Clarke, Conor Thomas, Barton, etc have managed to put in the odd isolated MOTM performance. Needs to play well consistently then I will happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Huge respect to him for speaking out about his depression.

I agree! Most professionals in the lime light (like footballers, famous people or anyone in the public eye) usually hold it in, or with footballers it doesn't really come out until after they've retired from the game.

Shame on this manager, whoever it is, for treating him this way!

Nice to see the suggestion Pressley was a support to him in his CCFC days, which might (in a way) prove that he was a decent guy, just maybe not a manager of a football team :D

Users who are viewing this thread