Danny Cowley (1 Viewer)

steve82

Not many are fans on here or appreciate what they are doing in the game but I’m even more in appreciation of them after seeing Danny Cowley’s interviews and how they prepared Lincoln for last night.

Firstly the pre match interview, played his side down as the underdogs and spoke in great detail about our players. A little bit of mind games by talking about how small his squad was and how big a club we are while we have a extra days preparation.

Pre match in the warm up I noticed both Cowley’s taking the warm ups, with Danny leading aspects of it while also taking the strange action of keeping the players out long after we’d gone in. Firstly I thought maybe they’d arrived late at the Ricoh but since checked and this wasn’t the case.
Looks like it was a strategic plan to keep the players focused and ready to go from kick off...certainly paid dividends as they hit us from the off. Never have I seen the manager getting his hands dirty before a game.

He had us well scouted and devised a plan on how to break us down and stop us getting a foothold in the game. Hitting us hard from the off with a front foot attacking threat going out for the points. His side were well up for the occasion, strong and robust winning individual battles and having the desire to win knock on’s and clinical in front of goal. Individual game management was pretty spot on too with each player playing well sticking to there tasks. He’s pieced together a side with the old crazy gang style grit and determination.

These boys will go far in the game, no stone seems unturned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

speedie87

Don’t think many so called bigger clubs will give them a chance due to style of play and the amount of gamesmanship they deploy. Bit of a big Sam scenario- all well and good unless it’s your club. But at the end of the day it’s a result business for them and it’s working.

Irish Sky Blue

I thought Lincoln deserved their win but I hated the way they did it. They were a very cynical team, timewasting for the whole of the second half. They had a conveyor belt of players” taking one for the team”, rotating the next player to take a booking. It was amazing that the first player booked was JCH considering the amount of fouls they committed in the first half.

steve82

Don’t think many so called bigger clubs will give them a chance due to style of play and the amount of gamesmanship they deploy. Bit of a big Sam scenario- all well and good unless it’s your club. But at the end of the day it’s a result business for them and it’s working.

I can see them fitting in with a club like Bradford with players like Charlie Wyke to be the figure head.

Sure they are a direct side but like you say winning games, leagues and cups keeps fans happy.

I quite like this quote from his interview last night.
“People criticise us for being direct. I would call it purposeful,”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

I think your giving Lincoln far too much credit tbf. They didn't devise a plan to beat us, they're long ball merchants who spent the night playing long ball. Not exactly a tactical master plan. He's not about to have his name etched in history alongside Alex Ferguson for playing football from the 80s.
There a non league team who played to the occasion. They have wind in there sails and executed a simple plan that we failed to devise. People a reading far too much into it in my opinion. I doubt they'll go up in the play offs (it'll be criminal if they do) and IF they do, their hoofball tactics won't be so easy coming against (marginally) better prepared defenders. I've honestly seen better "footballers" on a Sunday morning.

clint van damme

I thought they showed more footballing quality than people give them credit for.
There certainly not in the same bracket as Wycombe for one dimensional route one football.

Dazmataz

The way they killed the second half was awful to watch. It was effective, but it was gamesmanship bordering on cheating. The ref should have booked players for time wasting much earlier and Rhead’s time wasting was appalling.

I have less respect for The Cowleys after watching that then I did pre game.

clint van damme

The way they killed the second half was awful to watch. It was effective, but it was gamesmanship bordering on cheating. The ref should have booked players for time wasting much earlier and Rhead’s time wasting was appalling.

Though I agree I'm getting to the point where I could livewith it if it bagged us a couple of promotions.

North York’s Blue

He also said in his post match interview that he watched us against Luton and Stevenage and that the Ricoh was ‘quite quiet’ for both games.....

steve82

I think your giving Lincoln far too much credit tbf. They didn't devise a plan to beat us, they're long ball merchants who spent the night playing long ball. Not exactly a tactical master plan. He's not about to have his name etched in history alongside Alex Ferguson for playing football from the 80s.
There a non league team who played to the occasion. They have wind in there sails and executed a simple plan that we failed to devise. People a reading far too much into it in my opinion. I doubt they'll go up in the play offs (it'll be criminal if they do) and IF they do, their hoofball tactics won't be so easy coming against (marginally) better prepared defenders. I've honestly seen better "footballers" on a Sunday morning.

But they did, what’s been one of the defences weakness all season. Playing against a target man and dealing with the long ball. So what’s he do give Rhead a free role and add Ollie Palmer into the side for good measure. Rhead created the gaps with our lapse defending for Green or Palmer to benefit from. He scouted us well and proper.

It might be 80’s football but L2 is closer to the 80’s than the current 2018 of the premier league. They are winning games at every level they manage at and progressing still.

They are the happier set of fans and club tonight tho. Being sporting wins you nothing in reality.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

With regards to managers getting their hands dirty Dowie used to do the warm up with the back 4 where they’d be in a line moving backwards and forwards and he’d kick or throw the ball at them.

But they certainly seem like an interesting pair the Cowley’s, maybe the Ipswich job in the summer!?

pastythegreat

But they did, what’s been one of the defences weakness all season. Playing against a target man and dealing with the long ball. So what’s he do give Rhead a free role and add Ollie Palmer into the side for good measure. Rhead created the gaps with our lapse defending for Green or Palmer to benefit from. He scouted us well and proper.

It might be 80’s football but L2 is closer to the 80’s than the current 2018 of the premier league. They are winning games at every level they manage at and progressing still.

They are the happier set of fans and club tonight tho. Being sporting wins you nothing in reality.

He didn't play long ball bully boy tactics last night because we struggle against it. He played those tactics because that's what they've played ALL season long. Not a single player in their starting 11 was under 6 foot. Why's that do you think? Because he loves getting the ball down and passing it (Barca esque) across lovely snooker table pitches?
He can make out he did his homework on us all he likes, even if we were great at defending long ball, they'd of still gone with it and hoped for the win because that's all they have in their locker

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Though I agree I'm getting to the point where I could livewith it if it bagged us a couple of promotions.

Yes - nearly all the good/great teams could rough it out if they need to - Brazil always have. Arsenal with Keogh, Adams & Vieira. Look at Arsenal's form when they lose the scrappers within their team - they can win 5-0, but as easily lose by several. Inconsistent - like us (maybe a bit better, though!) We do have the nucleus of a good team, though, and next season MR will surely weed out those who have not cut the mustard. We must just hope that he replaces them with better. If he fails to improve us next year (especially if we remain in L2), I think fans will lose patience. If not promoted this year, I would want the autos next year. No excuses - although soft bugger that I am, I'll probably find some for him!

Liquid Gold

Every single time we had a free kick or Burge had the ball there would be a Lincoln player stood in front of them to slow it all down. I'd stick that in the 'things wrong with football' thread. It's unsportsmanlike conduct and should be a booking.

oucho

There a non league team

**THEY'RE** a club with over 100 Football League seasons under their belt. At least get the facts right.

If we had the Cowleys and their owners, and the feelgood factor around their club, not to mention results after promotion last season, Checkatrade win and last year's FA Cup run, you wouldn't be moaning about the style of play.

Last edited:

steve82

He didn't play long ball bully boy tactics last night because we struggle against it. He played those tactics because that's what they've played ALL season long. Not a single player in their starting 11 was under 6 foot. Why's that do you think? Because he loves getting the ball down and passing it (Barca esque) across lovely snooker table pitches?
He can make out he did his homework on us all he likes, even if we were great at defending long ball, they'd of still gone with it and hoped for the win because that's all they have in their locker

No that is there style and effective at it too. But not many times this season have they gone with Palmer and Rhead combo. So he utilised Rhead in a deeper role pushing Green and Palmer to exploit the gaps. Tactical team selection?

I don’t really think the Barca style works too much on the pitches they’ve come and leagues they’ve won from over the last few years with L2 being not much better so they stick to a way of winning grinding out results and forcing there opponents into mistakes.

Sick Boy

How patronising can you get? They're not a non league team and are higher than us in the table. Sounds a lot like sour grapes.

Terry Gibson's perm

Every single time we had a free kick or Burge had the ball there would be a Lincoln player stood in front of them to slow it all down. I'd stick that in the 'things wrong with football' thread. It's unsportsmanlike conduct and should be a booking.

We should have kicked the ball against them every time especially burge into the bollocks of Rhead but knowing burge he would have missed him

steve82

Well so far in reasons not to like them we’ve got they play long ball and time waste.

So what we’re saying is there game management is better and they are better equipped to get out of L2 as they play to the style of the pitches allow for large parts of the season being physically better that the opposition

Basically what we’d love to see. Winning football.

SlowerThanPlatt

How patronising can you get? They're not a non league team and are higher than us in the table. Sounds a lot like sour grapes.

Indeed.

It’s what the big clubs used to throw at Stoke under Pulis.

And Warnock this season with Cardiff.

The style of play is only a problem when a team isn’t winning/a team loses to them. If we beat Lincoln 4-0 last night no one would care. Boothroyd had us in the play offs for a while with similar tactics yet when it all fell apart people criticised his style of play.

oucho

West Ham had their best spell since the 80s under Sam. Bolton, Notts C, Sunderland and Palace all did better under him than in managers before or since. He's taken Everton from relegation candidates to 8th.

Stome and West Brom would kill to have Pulis back despite their moaning about his style.

So despite your comment 'all very well unless it's your club', it's all very well trying to play football until you get beaten by streetwise physical teams. This is league two, this is the reality when teams turn up well drilled and motivated to beat us. It's all about results, not how you win.

Esoterica

McNulty has been doing that ALL season. Don't disagree with the point though!

SlowerThanPlatt

He’s been their manager since May 2016 and has overseen a promotion, a great FA Cup run, Checkatrade trophy win and in their first season in League One as good as confirmed a play off place.

We’ve been trying since 2001 for a promotion with what 10 different permanent managers in that time?

Maybe instead of criticising their style we can actually take a few things from it as it seems to have provided them a lot more success than us

stevefloyd

Its the cheating time wasting I don't like as I said last night even if we were doing it it would piss me off too, I pay to go watch football not a bunch of cheating bastards wasting time, pretending they have been fouled by throwing themselves to the floor its corrupt and cheating regardless of who does it, its about time the lily livered wankers at FIFA, EUFA and the FA did something about the cheating overpaid cunts...rant over

fernandopartridge

Indeed. Nothing to do with homework, they played to the players at their disposal. We failed to defend it properly. Making out it was some sort of master class belies what actually happened. We should have scored twice second half so we weren't exactly bossed.

Mcbean

They were organised every time we had a free kick someone was dispatched to stand in front of the ball while they got organised for defending on our corners of which most were high and wasted there were 2 moved out to disuade the short corner in favour of a lump it to their big guys - its not rocket science ( 2nd time today)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not many are fans on here or appreciate what they are doing in the game but I’m even more in appreciation of them after seeing Danny Cowley’s interviews and how they prepared Lincoln for last night.

Firstly the pre match interview, played his side down as the underdogs and spoke in great detail about our players. A little bit of mind games by talking about how small his squad was and how big a club we are while we have a extra days preparation.

Pre match in the warm up I noticed both Cowley’s taking the warm ups, with Danny leading aspects of it while also taking the strange action of keeping the players out long after we’d gone in. Firstly I thought maybe they’d arrived late at the Ricoh but since checked and this wasn’t the case.
Looks like it was a strategic plan to keep the players focused and ready to go from kick off...certainly paid dividends as they hit us from the off. Never have I seen the manager getting his hands dirty before a game.

He had us well scouted and devised a plan on how to break us down and stop us getting a foothold in the game. Hitting us hard from the off with a front foot attacking threat going out for the points. His side were well up for the occasion, strong and robust winning individual battles and having the desire to win knock on’s and clinical in front of goal. Individual game management was pretty spot on too with each player playing well sticking to there tasks. He’s pieced together a side with the old crazy gang style grit and determination.

These boys will go far in the game, no stone seems unturned.

You were kissing up to them before the game, and now they've beaten us it seems the love in goes on... Stop it Steve!

I for one hope we get them in the playoff final and beat them. That would be the ultimate revenge for me, and it would feel so good.

Comeoffit

Not a single player in their starting 11 was under 6 foot.

that's all they have in their locker

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

I think you will find we had 3 players from our starting 11 that are under 6 foot. Woodyard is around 5'9, both Frecklington and Eardley are around 5'10.

That's all we have in our locker? Hardly, but it's about winning matches and with a win rate around 60% Danny Cowley is going places. I am sure he would change tactics and play a more attractive style if he deemed it necessary.

As for being a non league outfit, yes we plunged down to the depths of the National League but we have been a League club for one less year than yourselves.

Irish Sky Blue

The same every time Doyle went to take a free kick. They made sure there were no quick free kicks. I don’t think the ref even spoke to one of their players doing that.

Mucca Mad Boys

I can see them fitting in with a club like Bradford with players like Charlie Wyke to be the figure head.

Sure they are a direct side but like you say winning games, leagues and cups keeps fans happy.

I quite like this quote from his interview last night.
“People criticise us for being direct. I would call it purposeful,”

A lot of people, influenced that great Barcelona team managed by Pep, have become purists. I honestly do not care how we play if the result is a positive one. Look at Southampton, they sacked Puel for his footballing philosophies, one glance at where Leicester are compared to Southampton tells you all you need to know. Never sack a manager over a footballing 'ideology' if results are good.

Football manager's need to be utilitarian, there's no point playing tiki-tac football when you have two 6"4 strikers with two left feet. Always build your style with what you've got.

I think the Cowley's should stay at Lincoln until they've taken them as far as they possibly can, at this point, I think L1 is about Lincoln's limit.

steve82

You were kissing up to them before the game, and now they've beaten us it seems the love in goes on... Stop it Steve!

I for one hope we get them in the playoff final and beat them. That would be the ultimate revenge for me, and it would feel so good.

Ha ha yes, I’ve praised them a lot this week. Several promotions to there cv, with cup success too climbing up from non league.

Young English managers breaking into the pro game still having success in a cut throat business where every supporter can do your job and better and bringing success to every club they’ve managed and reigniting a fan base at Lincoln.

Just the thing a club like us would love.

Do agree I’d like to beat them in the final tho deploying some of the tricks used against us from that of Lincoln, Accrington, Notts County....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread