D Day Today (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

pal of mine who is a Burnley fan said they are in for him and will be offering him a contract. He asked me who he was, as he heard it on their local radio station

You can see the story already. Goes to Burnley, sits in the Development squad for a couple of years. Loaned out. Moves to a lower league team.

He is nowhere near ready can't see anyone taking a punt on him.just yet.

Esoterica

You can see the story already. Goes to Burnley, sits in the Development squad for a couple of years. Loaned out. Moves to a lower league team.

But lets say they pay him 4k a week, which is nothing for a PL club to gamble with. He'll have finished his 2 years with 416k in the bank Vs the 52k he'd get at 500 quid with a week with us. Absolute no brainer for him and he'll still be just 22. Football is so fucked up financially these days. Compensation for lower league academy players needs to be drastically restructured to stop this hoovering up of talent.

ccfcway

No brainer for the club and the player. its peanuts to a prem league club to take a punt on a couple of these, and worst case for the player (like Bigi) is they have a bigger bank account

RegTheDonk

Don't take much notice of contract lengths etc, but does this mean he's looking for a new and hopefully good keeper...or is Charles-Cook going to be our number 1?

Captain Dart

Don't take much notice of contract lengths etc, but does this mean he's looking for a new and hopefully good keeper...or is Charles-Cook going to be our number 1?

Maybe, but if Burge is off that leaves scope to bring in a more experienced goalie who can organise the back 4 and play RCC in the Checkatrade/League Cup.

stevefloyd

Well good luck to Thomas if it turns out thats right but we stand to win more if we get a good bit of compensation for him, nowhere near good or clinical enough for the Prem but if he manages his finances right not a bad little nest egg for him

AlansEyes

Would be very surprised if Thomas was subject to PL/Championship interest, he only really started looking like a player in the last 10-15 games of the season (as did most of our squad, to be fair). Fair play to him if he can get a deal with a club higher up the divisions, but I do fear that his lack of pace will hold him back from making too much of an impression at that level.

better days

No brainer for the club and the player. its peanuts to a prem league club to take a punt on a couple of these, and worst case for the player (like Bigi) is they have a bigger bank account
I guess they would have seen him while watching Agyei play for us earlier in the season
Not sure if they played together very often but their scouts would have been aware of Thomas even before his flowering in the second half of the season

Grendel

Yay bigi set to stay! That was the big one for me. Surprised lameries staying but grendels 2 shittest players remain so it makes me love mark robins even more ha as he clearly thinks different.

Its gonna be a busy summer!

One more relegation and they will both be at the level they are suited to.

If they sign it's evidence they aren't up to anything better or they will be off

Houdi

The issue to me is if Robins had decided to keep Cooke even as just as a back up,and discard Burge,then surely it would have made better sense to play Cooke in the last few games.It just smacks of not doing joined up thinking.

KG7

The issue to me is if Robins had decided to keep Cooke even as just as a back up,and discard Burge,then surely it would have made better sense to play Cooke in the last few games.It just smacks of not doing joined up thinking.

Maybe he wanted to give Burge a shop window. Or maybe he wanted Burge to prove that he could be number 1. If both were out of contract I would imagine Burge would have been kept on and RCC sent packing. But he clearly wants to sign a more experienced keeper so this make sense.

Chipfat

What is the average wage in L1?, because my guess Bigi, Thomas, Willis and Stevenson will be offered more to stay in L1 than move down a division. Also when conference teams are offering more to our players then what chance do we have of building a squad that competes.

MR has his hands full and might not want to take a vacation anytime soon. Because I don't think it's that far into the future he is again jumping ship to a permanent one.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
2016 League 1 average before bonuses around 70k

AlansEyes

Maybe he wanted to give Burge a shop window. Or maybe he wanted Burge to prove that he could be number 1. If both were out of contract I would imagine Burge would have been kept on and RCC sent packing. But he clearly wants to sign a more experienced keeper so this make sense.
Yeah, I saw that as Burge was out of contract he wanted to have a good look at him. Obviously he didn't think he was up to being first choice next season and his hands were tied a little more with RCC having another year on his contract so he's released Burge and RCC will be number two next year.

superskyblue

Wouldn't be bothered if most of the squad went. That said don't make the same mistake as last year and release players and then not get in replacements.
I think this is exactly it. It's a fine balance to be had. I was not unhappy when we released Aaron Phillips last year. In hindsight is he worse than Sterry/Foley who played a lot of the season at RB? Probably not. We would probably have been better off keeping him.

We obviously don't know the ins and outs of it. But if we have released Haynes, Burge and Stokes I'd say it's 50:50 whether we'll be able to replace them with better players for next season.

Woodster

I think having both Burge and RCC has been a hindrance for a while. Realistically you can see they've both had potential but neither has really kicked on enough, but whilst both have been under contract I think managers have been loathe to bring a third (more experienced) keeper in.

I've no issues with Burge going in that case, I think the difference a Joe Murphy type keeper would make would be massive. Just a little strange Robins has opted to play him rather than RCC in recent weeks.

Esoterica

One thing I don't get is why we tell players they are released/not being offered a renewal this early? Surely there's 2 or 3 weeks of talking to potential replacements that can happen first and if contracts run to the end of June it's not saving us any money.

Manchester_sky_blue

RCC is under contract though isn't he? Perhaps Robins wants to flog him for a (very small) fee.

Hobo

One more relegation and they will both be at the level they are suited to.

If they sign it's evidence they aren't up to anything better or they will be off

So everyone who stays at the club is shit then? You talk a lot of bollocks I know that. There are lots of reason why players choose to sign, not just because there is nothing better.

Joelly

It's easy binning off the worse players. It's a different matter entirely to attract better players than the ones we are letting go, especially if it's true that we are offering players like DKE a basic salary of only 500 quid per week (26K per year). Surely we can offer a salary somewhere between 50K-75K per year given we are supposed to have a budget of around 1.5 million?
I think your are over exaggerating the salary of L1 and L2 players. I know a player who would be classed as first team for a team better than us (much better) in League one. He isnt on anywhere near 75k basic. 50k is a much better assumption for League 1 and 2.

Obviously Sheffield United and the likes of them will be upwards of 100k at least for most first teamers. Some teams in the championship can now afford 10k plus a week for their best players.

Hobo

One thing I don't get is why we tell players they are released/not being offered a renewal this early? Surely there's 2 or 3 weeks of talking to potential replacements that can happen first and if contracts run to the end of June it's not saving us any money.

Because you have a duty of care to them. You have to give them the chance to find a new deal.

Esoterica

Because you have a duty of care to them. You have to give them the chance to find a new deal.
Still seems early to me, end of May is still a month's notice if contracts expire end of June and that's 4 more weeks of trying to find better players.

Chipfat

I can see some of those who are told they can leave will still be knocking around pre season getting in shape as they may live close. This has happened before and for whatever reason they get another chance due to deals for others falling through or them showing the manager they deserve to stick around. If i was Robins i would tell them they are free to look and find alternative employment but are also free to train if no other club is found, having told players to leave it maybe not down to not good enough maybe financial, personal or an opinion that can all be changed.

I get a feeling that MR may find it hard to convince players to come and commit to what is a very unstable club i mean he cant attract those above to drop a level with money we dont have it. He also from what im hearing is competing wages wise with conference clubs which means relocation and overall money may not be enough for players to uproot to come. Very tough job in my opinion and he may want to keep some if not all those players mentioned near.

NorthernWisdom

He also from what im hearing is competing wages wise with conference clubs
Which conference clubs are likely to have a similar squad wage bill to us?

I could imagine Forest Green might, possibly (although much of their owner's funding is to overcome the fact they're in Nailsworth! so is doubtful) but am struggling to think of who else might.

Last edited:

Chipfat

Which conference clubs are likely to have a similar squad wage bill to us?

I could imagine Forest Green might, possibly (although much of their owner's funding is to overcome the fact they're in Nailsworth!) but am struggling to think of who else might.

Closer to home is one that have offered more than one of our players that MR wants to keep. Im sure some on here know who it is as they will know the family very well.

steve82

I can see some of those who are told they can leave will still be knocking around pre season getting in shape as they may live close. This has happened before and for whatever reason they get another chance due to deals for others falling through or them showing the manager they deserve to stick around. If i was Robins i would tell them they are free to look and find alternative employment but are also free to train if no other club is found, having told players to leave it maybe not down to not good enough maybe financial, personal or an opinion that can all be changed.

I get a feeling that MR may find it hard to convince players to come and commit to what is a very unstable club i mean he cant attract those above to drop a level with money we dont have it. He also from what im hearing is competing wages wise with conference clubs which means relocation and overall money may not be enough for players to uproot to come. Very tough job in my opinion and he may want to keep some if not all those players mentioned near.

I thought the same about attracting players, but then Blackpool did it last summer and assembled a team still in a chance of the playoffs.
So it's not impossible, but a tricky one to sell. I'm sure there will be takers for a years contract which is generally the case in league two.

Users who are viewing this thread