Cyrille Regis (1 Viewer)

morphius

I rarely post these days due to the never ending depression inspired by our collapse over the last decade or so but still read the forum regulary with a feint glimmer of hope that one day I'll look at the top fight fixtures and bemoan that we have to go to Villa Park at the end of the season to stay up. Those were the days, just didn't realise how appreciative I should of been at the time!

Anyway I digress, in the days when I truly got excited about City signings none excited me more than when we signed big Cyrille from the Baggies in 1984. I couldn't believe a player of that calibre would ever wear the beloved Sky Blue but there he was running out in front of the West End posing for photos while we sung his name on his home debut against Newcastle (I think?). I don't remember him scoring I just remember having this late teens grin on my face like I had just pulled a bird way out of my league!

Not only was he a great target man for us he also enjoyed England honours whilst playing for the City - an amazement in itself. The only blot on his hero status was leaving us to go to Villa and nearly sending us down by scoring after about 30 seconds during the season finale! I forgave him for that mainly due to Notts County doing us a favour and sending Luton down instead. Apart from that he was a fine servant to the club and I've fond memories of him as a player.

Funnily enough at that same Villa Park finale I seem to remember hearing about Cyrille finding God mostly due to the City fans singing "Cyrille Regis! hallelujah! hallelujah!" Which amused me and the rest of the City support at the time. We were less amused a few seconds later when he scored and the happy chanting of his name quickly change to vitriolic and vociferous questioning of his parentage! For one City fan it was all too much and he walked on to the pitch and dejectedly threw his scarf on the centre circle at sat down - we all felt his pain!

Anyway back to the point of this post. For those of you who remember him as I do as a former fans favourite he does talks about his career and his faith. He is due to appear as the guest speaker at Bethel-London's Riverside Church in Parsloes Ave, Dagenham, East London at 8:45, 10:30 and 12:15 on Sun 13th July 2014.

No doubt there's bound to be a christian context to his talk but if you can cope with that I think it may be of real interest especially to any London based fans who like me are 40+ and living in the area.

I don't like giving up my Sundays so he had better be good!

Samo

I rarely post these days due to the never ending depression inspired by our collapse over the last decade or so but still read the forum regulary with a feint glimmer of hope that one day I'll look at the top fight fixtures and bemoan that we have to go to Villa Park at the end of the season to stay up. Those were the days, just didn't realise how appreciative I should of been at the time!

Anyway I digress, in the days when I truly got excited about City signings none excited me more than when we signed big Cyrille from the Baggies in 1984. I couldn't believe a player of that calibre would ever wear the beloved Sky Blue but there he was running out in front of the West End posing for photos while we sung his name on his home debut against Newcastle (I think?). I don't remember him scoring I just remember having this late teens grin on my face like I had just pulled a bird way out of my league!

Not only was he a great target man for us he also enjoyed England honours whilst playing for the City - an amazement in itself. The only blot on his hero status was leaving us to go to Villa and nearly sending us down by scoring after about 30 seconds during the season finale! I forgave him for that mainly due to Notts County doing us a favour and sending Luton down instead. Apart from that he was a fine servant to the club and I've fond memories of him as a player.

Funnily enough at that same Villa Park finale I seem to remember hearing about Cyrille finding God mostly due to the City fans singing "Cyrille Regis! hallelujah! hallelujah!" Which amused me and the rest of the City support at the time. We were less amused a few seconds later when he scored and the happy chanting of his name quickly change to vitriolic and vociferous questioning of his parentage! For one City fan it was all too much and he walked on to the pitch and dejectedly threw his scarf on the centre circle at sat down - we all felt his pain!

Anyway back to the point of this post. For those of you who remember him as I do as a former fans favourite he does talks about his career and his faith. He is due to appear as the guest speaker at Bethel-London's Riverside Church in Parsloes Ave, Dagenham, East London at 8:45, 10:30 and 12:15 on Sun 13th July 2014.

No doubt there's bound to be a christian context to his talk but if you can cope with that I think it may be of real interest especially to any London based fans who like me are 40+ and living in the area.

I don't like giving up my Sundays so he had better be good!

I can't cope with that, sorry Cyrille.

kg82

From what I remember we decided to sell him didn't we? I was at that Villa game in the Holt End... Horrible day!

Grendel

For the first two seasons we had him he was rubbish. Sillett saved his career.

M&B Stand

That villa away game last day of the season was memorable. I do remember gally trying to shift that fella off the centre circle, hundreds of city in the Holte end, they kept piling out into the pitch and diving into the away end.

Otis

Have to say, that was the most thrilled I have ever been about a City signing when Cyrille Regis put pen to paper. I was chuffed to bits and couldn't believe we had nabbed him.

morphius

Does anyone know how the heck we signed him in ther first place? Did he fall out with WBA or something? Even if he did it still doesn't explain why came to us!

Grendel

Does anyone know how the heck we signed him in ther first place? Did he fall out with WBA or something? Even if he did it still doesn't explain why came to us!

He was washed up. The goals had stopped. He admits if it wasn't for Sillett his career would have been over.

letsallsingtogether

Because unlike now we were a Bigger Club then fucking WBA

Now we are just above bloody Accrington Stanley.

Users who are viewing this thread