Cwr (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Instead they've bought a load of flim-flam from someone who can see a commercial advantage to himself, and cares not a jot about the city, or CCFC, or CRFC, or seemingly his own club's supporters. And it's the second time they've done it which makes it far, far worse.

"The [football] club is, for me, a bit of a sideshow."

martcov

Oh, right - you think the 2+2 deal isn't a lease. You're thinking it's a rent deal for a set period. The set period being 2+2 years. Possible, but either way, if Wasps broke it they'd be up before the court wouldn't they? So again, let's not pretend that the council have asked them to do anything other than what they are legally obliged to do.

We don't know. The wording was "an opportunity" to be at the Ricoh in the future. There was no time length stated, implying that the future is more than 4 years. No mention of future terms re f&b etc.. We just don't know enough, but SISU have to get in there now if they want to be involved long time.

duffer

sounds great to me. What was Tim's response? The stadium's definitely going ahead and SISU are continuing with the JR?

Not so awe-inspiring and probably the final point/ justification for agreeing the wasps deal.

Mate, you're not going to get any denial from me about TF being daft, but how long did the council actually give it to 'rebuild trust'. In reality, they were already talking to Wasps at the point that the Councillor made this statement.

How much trust did that show?

Rusty Trombone

Oh, right - you think the 2+2 deal isn't a lease. You're thinking it's a rent deal for a set period. The set period being 2+2 years. Possible, but either way, if Wasps broke it they'd be up before the court wouldn't they? So again, let's not pretend that the council have asked them to do anything other than what they are legally obliged to do.

I wasn't pretending anything. I haven't suggested the Council have said anything other than you have. I'm just trying to make a small point that the contract could be broken despite what CCC or Wasps say, but the fact they say they won't break it is worth saying, whilst at the same time saying that it would be very very unlikely that they would want to break the contract anyway. I don't see the fuss.

I do think it's a rental deal, in the same way as other businesses turn up to hold an event and then have to clear off.

martcov

Mate, you're not going to get any denial from me about TF being daft, but how long did the council actually give it to 'rebuild trust'. In reality, they were already talking to Wasps at the point that the Councillor made this statement.

How much trust did that show?

say, that Tim had reacted differently and said, let's start again. We'll drop the stadium and JR, go back to the 5,5 mil h.o.t. agreement plus a deal on the council loan. No more messing - either side. Let's go for commercial advantage for both sides. Long term lease, investment, business plan etc.. What can CCC offer us? Would CCC have got all 54 councillors to sign up for the Wasps deal if that were the case?

Grendel

say, that Tim had reacted differently and said, let's start again. We'll drop the stadium and JR, go back to the 5,5 mil h.o.t. agreement plus a deal on the council loan. No more messing - either side. Let's go for commercial advantage for both sides. Long term lease, investment, business plan etc.. What can CCC offer us? Would CCC have got all 54 councillors to sign up for the Wasps deal if that were the case?

Hell would have freezed over before your lot would offer the club anything. Or have you forgotten that?

Hobo

"The [football] club is, for me, a bit of a sideshow."

It is isn't it....is that why attendance is on its knees? Without SISU vs CCC I think interest would be even lower.

martcov

Hell would have freezed over before your lot would offer the club anything. Or have you forgotten that?

the question was, would all 54 councillors have agreed to the Wasps deal at the vote? I think there would have been a good few that would have wanted further talks with CCFC first before signing the deal. Steve West etc. are not councillors.

Nick

Administrator
the question was, would all 54 councillors have agreed to the Wasps deal at the vote? I think there would have been a good few that would have wanted further talks with CCFC first before signing the deal. Steve West etc. are not councillors.
Surely we don't know as it was behind closed doors. Not to mention the fact that some of them sPeaking about it on twitter seem to know less about it than us, or are acting dumb.

Grendel

Surely we don't know as it was behind closed doors. Not to mention the fact that some of them sPeaking about it on twitter seem to know less about it than us, or are acting dumb.

I'm sure "Martcov" knows

martcov

No, we don't know what would have happened if SISU had showed interest and a constructive attitude after returning to the Ricoh. It would be a fair assumption though, that they would have had more chance to join in the bidding if they had shown that they wanted the Ricoh and were prepared to drop the JR and their stadium in return for a viable solution. Many councillors are CCFC fans and I think some would have asked for further talks ( can't prove it though ).

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Next time you see Mr Waggott ask him what length of contract was offered,what length of contract was asked for before the 2+2 was accepted,then ask him which organisation got Sisu to talk. Then ask why the council decided to sell to Wasps and if Sisus original length of contract offer might have something to do with it. Oh and by the way I'm totally against the sale to Wasps and feel that the council paniced.

Nick

Administrator
No, we don't know what would have happened if SISU had showed interest and a constructive attitude after returning to the Ricoh. It would be a fair assumption though, that they would have had more chance to join in the bidding if they had shown that they wanted the Ricoh and were prepared to drop the JR and their stadium in return for a viable solution. Many councillors are CCFC fans and I think some would have asked for further talks ( can't prove it though ).
So you don't know either? For somebody saying they are too busy with work for ccfc football you seem to be putting a great shift in for the council.

martcov

I'm sure "Martcov" knows

I know that if you keep saying "new stadium" "JR" "encumbered freehold or nothing", you will not be offered a good deal. The proof? Wasps are sitting in the Ricoh where SISU have had 7 years to do something about getting at least a share in the stadium. Do you need more proof?

Nick

Administrator
I know that if you keep saying "new stadium" "JR" "encumbered freehold or nothing", you will not be offered a good deal. The proof? Wasps are sitting in the Ricoh where SISU have had 7 years to do something about getting at least a share in the stadium. Do you need more proof?
So what's that got to do with anything anybody was talking about?

Christ, talk about trying to shift attention

martcov

So you don't know either? For somebody saying they are too busy with work for ccfc football you seem to be putting a great shift in for the council.

I do get some free time, like now. Are CCFC playing in Kiel tonight? I might pop down if they are.

martcov

No but they are playing in coventry tomorrow, you can listen and read about it on the internet.

I do, as you know. But I don't comment on performances as my information is second-hand and someone else's view point. Tomorrow afternoon I am working, but will check on here and other sites now and again.

Nick

Administrator
I do, as you know. But I don't comment on performances as my information is second-hand and someone else's view point. Tomorrow afternoon I am working, but will check on here and other sites now and again.
Is your information on the politics first hand then?

martcov

Is your information on the politics first hand then?

It is as first hand as yours and it is there to be verified or not. I cannot see the game and rely on you and others to inform me. Court cases and news articles are here in black and white to me as to you. We are equally informed or not informed.

Limey

The show is now up on iPlayer. Shame there wasn't more time for calls. No convincing argument for lumping a franchise into Cov imo.

Wasps are going to get 30,000 for a european game!!!

Nick

Administrator
They might, maybe. They get far bigger for the seasons openers at Twickenham after all.

The danger will be if this happens the once, or even close to it, that it's used as evidence for the 'potential'...
Will be all the councillors with free tickets and fresh out the packet wasps shirts.

Limey

They might, maybe. They get far bigger for the seasons openers at Twickenham after all.

The danger will be if this happens the once, or even close to it, that it's used as evidence for the 'potential'...

I'm sure they might, not doubting that. Just a wafer thin response to having Wasps here....

32k v Crewe is a far more impressive stat and one to be proud of.

letsallsingtogether

Surely if it is a plus they bring premiership rugby then that's franchising? Why not help our club get there?

Are you being serious look what happened last time they helped a local sports club?

TBH it has given them nothing but grief.
They are right to stay away and let it go its own way.

dongonzalos

They couldn't wriggle out of the 2+2 deal to the club anyway, it's contractual. They could've taken the SISU way and wound ACL up I suppose, but then neither they nor Higgs would make any money.

So, in terms of the council's 'deal breakers' what guarantees did they put in place to protect either CCFC or CRFC?

Did they offer the club the same deal?

Pretty much what I am saying. The owners of the club have repeatedly attacked the council.It seems they have done a deal honouring existing contracts.
Classed this as safeguarding the club, then wasted their hands of the people attempting to bash them in court, unfortunately

dongonzalos

Nowt by the sounds of it. As you say, the contractual obligation was there anyway, so how on earth can they say this is a good deal for Coventry City? :confused:

do you really need that answering

I agree The safeguarding of CCFC has been put back in the hands of the owners of CCFC.
The owner of Rugby club seems happy

So that leaves you with the small matter of jobs and economy which would you choose

Reject wasps offer gamble on SISU
Accept wasps offer get what you have do for your job. Not reliant on SISU

Upset Cov and Wasps fans

Surely anyone as biased as you are for whatever train understands we Cov fans play second fiddle to the other 280,000 people

BrakesFan

The majority on here seem to be saying CCC should have offered "the same deal" to SISU.

Now, if a condition of the Wasps negotiations was a Non-Disclosure Agreement, then telling SISU the exact terms that were being offered by Wasps surely would have breached the NDA and put CCC in an untenable position?

I seem to remember Ann Lucas saying months ago that CCC were moving on, and that they were looking to get another sporting franchise in. Well guess what, it looks like unlike some others she wasn't bluffing. If all this new stadium shtick is bluff then the only reasonable side to blame for SISU not getting ACL is SISU. if it isn't bluff then who could blame CCC for offloading the company when a realistic and fair offer was made by Wasps?

Users who are viewing this thread