Crossroad summer ahead (1 Viewer)

messiahrobins

Personally this has been an amazing season that we will remember for the rest of our lives thanks to the FA Cup run. Thank you to all concerned.

However, soon after 1987 within 4 years the club went backwards and if we sell Sheaf and say Wright (ive a bad feeling he will also be gone before August) then, rather than automatic promotion some of us have been thinking is on next season with the right recruitment, we could be looking at barnsley and Huddersfield type scenarios as in the championship it doesn't take much to go from play off contenders to being relegated, and selling your best players every season increases that prospect as there is no guarantee you recruit as good as what you let go.

This is a massive summer coming up. Get it right and promotion is realistic, get it wrong though and we could really struggle in this league. The league form the past 8 games is worrying, as while it is true the players may have run out of steam mentally and physically, that in of itself is a bit worrying as one has to question the mentality of players. It is easy getting up for cup games against PL sides, but truly professional players with winning mentalities would find a way to push themselves through the pain barrier and i wonder with this new group if we have enough players with the Mcfadzean/Kelly mentality.

We desperately need some leadership on the pitch, a few Doyle type characters. An for fuck sake we need a goalkeeper who can command his box and is brave even it means he is a shit kicker.

usskyblue

0AazWB.gif

SkyblueTexan

Well said. We already know COH is leaving. Sheaf may get his head turned and decide to go and if what you’re saying is true Wright might go as well. MVE and Simms have raised their profiles and may follow suit. If that were to happen I don’t know if DK will cash in and if MR will be able to stop it. But that’s what happens when you fail to get promoted. Teams above will just pick off your prized assets. Wish someone would be willing to stump up some cash for JDS, Palmer, Collins. Is the interest from Sporting/Ajax for Lati for a reported 5M even true (I’d drive him there if that’s the case). Anyway, big summer ahead. If we don’t make many changes, next season will be a struggle for sure.

hinckley cov

Well said. We already know COH is leaving. Sheaf may get his head turned and decide to go and if what you’re saying is true Wright might go as well. MVE and Simms have raised their profiles and may follow suit. If that were to happen I don’t know if DK will cash in and if MR will be able to stop it. But that’s what happens when you fail to get promoted. Teams above will just pick off your prized assets. Wish someone would be willing to stump up some cash for JDS, Palmer, Collins. Is the interest from Sporting/Ajax for Lati for a reported 5M even true (I’d drive him there if that’s the case). Anyway, big summer ahead. If we don’t make many changes, next season will be a struggle for sure.
There’s no way we will sell 2 or 3 of our better players , because if we did , they’re would be no chance of a top six finish next season, so I couldn’t see Doug and Robins allowing it .

messiahrobins

Wright and MVE i am very worried about. I think both are PL quality in the making as they have the attributes and could see a lower end PL side come after both or the promoted clubs. JDS id terminate his contract, he is fucking useless. Worse signing we have made. Collins at best is a back up keeper. Palmer id keep as back up as well but he is not a regular starter.
The Ajax thing is obviously bollocks. Latabadieure is at most worth £1m. If were offered that id sell him as its a good profit.
King and Robins seemed to be having a heated chat on the pitch, i am not sure they are besties by any means.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Wright and MVE i am very worried about. I think both are PL quality in the making as they have the attributes and could see a lower end PL side come after both or the promoted clubs. JDS id terminate his contract, he is fucking useless. Worse signing we have made. Collins at best is a back up keeper. Palmer id keep as back up as well but he is not a regular starter.
The Ajax thing is obviously bollocks. Latabadieure is at most worth £1m. If were offered that id sell him as its a good profit.
King and Robins seemed to be having a heated chat on the pitch, i am not sure they are besties by any means.
Probably MR asking AV what the fuck he was thinking recommending Collins, Dasilva and Palmer.

Reactions: JSL

Sky Blue Harry H

Well said
Well said? Is that an anagram of bedwetter?
MR has said the club will be taking a hard stance and is in a strong position this summer regarding transfers and retaining players, unless record bids received. Certainly not panicking about losing Sheaf and Wright and the squad being dismantled. We will have a stronger squad next season - I'm 99% certain of that, and barring a disastrous run of injuries, I'm confident we will be in the upper reaches of the table next season (and the football will be enjoyable - again). Not worried at all.

stevefloyd

MR has said the club will be taking a hard stance and is in a strong position this summer regarding transfers and retaining players, unless record bids received. Certainly not panicking about losing Sheaf and Wright and the squad being dismantled. We will have a stronger squad next season - I'm 99% certain of that, and barring a disastrous run of injuries, I'm confident we will be in the upper reaches of the table next season (and the football will be enjoyable - again). Not worried at all.
Surely thats wed better or drew bette ;) lets see how the summer transpires before the doom and gloom come out and trust the process, after last years summer rebuild we haven't done too badly and lets be brutally honest Robins and co have improved us year on year so its a bit early to be pissing yourself in the sack

skybluecam

If Wright and Sheaf went we'd be looking at another £30-40m to spend on players. We'd have to monumentally fuck our recruitment up to be in relegation danger.

I don't see Wright leaving at all tbh, he's had a good season but not an outstanding one, he's 26 not 21 and he already cost us £8m so there's no way we'd let him go on the cheap.

SkyblueTexan

Surely thats wed better or drew bette ;) lets see how the summer transpires before the doom and gloom come out and trust the process, after last years summer rebuild we haven't done too badly and lets be brutally honest Robins and co have improved us year on year so its a bit early to be pissing yourself in the sack
Thanks for trying to allay my fears. I hope you're right and we do everything we can to retain our assets. I hope MR is true to his word about taking a tougher stance on that front. But with agents and players having their heads turned and the vultures circling about, it is natural for key players to be picked off, especially with our club's profile being raised by the cup run and recent playoff flirtations. But if the inevitable were to happen in terms of losing assets like Sheaf, I hope DK is able to extort exorbitant sums from the other teams and the deals are done early rather than at the 11th hour so that we have replacements in well in advance of the new season. As we continue to reshape the squad, I think there has to be a clear out of players that have underperformed and were mistakes made by the recruitment team. Freiberg are reportedly interested in Dasilva and if that's true, those are the kinds of deals I pray the club would rush to complete. Same for the rumor about interest in Lati. Any takers for Palmer?? (thought there was interest from Norwich earlier in the season).

Regardless of how anyone feels, I think next season will be just as tough as this one. One or both of Leeds and Soton will still be here and armed with parachute payments. 3 more coming down with parachute payments from the Prem, half a dozen or more teams in and around the playoffs this year will make renewed efforts next season to challenge for promotion. Teams lower down like QPR who have improved immensely of late and will now harbour higher aspirations for next season. I don't have a clue if any of the promoted teams from League 1 next season will try to emulate Ipswich. So that's another headache.

Anyway, happy summer to all.

Last edited:

JSL

Regardless of anyone feels, I think next season will be just as tough as this one. One or both of Leeds and Soton will still be here and armed with parachute payments. 3 more coming down with parachute payments from the Prem, half a dozen or more teams in and around the playoffs this year will make renewed efforts next season to challenger for promotion.
That's the same every year. 3 teams get relegated from the PL and 3 don't make it from the playoffs

Deity

Thanks for trying to allay my fears. I hope you're right and we do everything we can to retain our assets. I hope MR is true to his word about taking a tougher stance on that front. But with agents and players having their heads turned and the vultures circling about, it is natural for key players to be picked off, especially with our club's profile being raised by the cup run and recent playoff flirtations. But if the inevitable were to happen in terms of losing assets like Sheaf, I hope DK is able to extort exorbitant sums from the other teams and the deals are done early rather than at the 11th hour so that we have replacements in well in advance of the new season. As we continue to reshape the squad, I think there has to be a clear out of players that have underperformed and were mistakes made by the recruitment team. Freiberg are reportedly interested in Dasilva and if that's true, those are the kinds of deals I pray the club would rush to complete. Same for the rumor about interest in Lati. Any takers for Palmer?? (thought there was interest from Norwich earlier in the season).

Regardless of anyone feels, I think next season will be just as tough as this one. One or both of Leeds and Soton will still be here and armed with parachute payments. 3 more coming down with parachute payments from the Prem, half a dozen or more teams in and around the playoffs this year will make renewed efforts next season to challenger for promotion. Teams lower down like QPR who have improved immensely of late and will now harbour higher aspirations for next season. I don't have a clue if any of the promoted teams from League 1 next season will try to emulate Ipswich. So that's another headache.

Anyway, happy summer to all.
The .3 teams coming down are not of the stature of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. The issue is 2 of those teams might also still be championship sides.

Users who are viewing this thread