Cristiano Ronaldo (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Unfortunately it's one of the biggest misconceptions ever. What do you think addidas/Nike etc pay the kit deals for to clubs?

Kit deals are not traditional sponsorship deals – they are licensing deals, which enable the kit manufacturers to use the club’s brand to sell branded apparel. Clubs receive an annual fee – for example, Manchester United receives £75 million per year from Adidas, and then 10-15% of the revenue the kit manufacturer generates from shirt sales. Adidas predicted they were going to make £1.5 billion, over the course of their deal with United. That isn't coming from a simple logo on the front of the shirt! At best United might get several million it definitely won't cover his transfer fee and salary!

It's also largely been proven that kit sales don't dramatically increase over the course of the season because of marquee signings at least not on the scale people make out. There of course will be some. Instead it's just that people who would likely have got the kit anyway get the marquee signings name on it. But given United have made two marquee signings already I doubt people are going to back for another shirt.
Beat you to it.

That's what you get for writing essays.

skybluegod

Fair enough , I can't even use attendances as they sell out every week

Yeah, as I say it's one of those common misconceptions, which sounds right when you first hear it and then you think about it and it doesn't really make sense.

Probably the best argument would be that such a signing might help United to win silverware which of course will help prize money.

Liquid Gold

According to this clubs make 7% of the shirt sale - Why PSG won’t make their money back on Lionel Messi in shirt sales alone

PSG shirts are for sale for €90 on their French site - Maillots Messi PSG | Achetez les kits, maillots et vêtements du PSG Lionel Messi Paris Saint-Germain sur la boutique officielle du PSG

7% of €90 is €6.30

That means PSG will have had to have sold an additional 22.25 million shirts.

Man Utd sell the most shirts globally at 3.25 million - Best selling soccer (football) shirts by club worldwide 2018/2019 | Statista

PSG haven't made their money back on Messi from shirt sales.

Mr Panda

Don't get these conversations about Cavani giving up the number 7 shirt for him.

Are shirt numbers not locked in once the season starts like on Football Manager?

skybluegod

Don't get these conversations about Cavani giving up the number 7 shirt for him.

Are shirt numbers not locked in once the season starts like on Football Manager?

Yes they are, at least in the premier League and on UEFE comps. Think in some league's (like Spain) you change part way through the season.

Il Pirata

In a team built for him. Juve want rid of him as they see him as not worth the money and Italian commentators say Juve are better without him
That remains to be seen, but he was definitely the focal point of the attack, sometimes to the detriment of the team. He might have scored a lot of goals but the amount of team goals did not increase each season. His free-kick record at Juve is also dreadful, 1 goal from something like 75 attempts.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
So he's signed for Man. Utd. has he? Makes me hate them even more! Not through jealousy. It's just that I can't stand the smug cunit!

Users who are viewing this thread