Creating noise at Wembley (1 Viewer)

skybluericoh

Think it was the checkertrade final before the game in the concourse, twist and shout was really loud, that went into the stadium. I think the atmosphere was better for that game than the POF

oscillatewildly

🤔

AI to the rescue:

“ This is an interesting problem! The main challenge, as you mentioned, is the delay caused by the speed of sound. Let's explore the math and see if we can find a solution.

Given:
- Wembley Stadium dimensions: Approximately 315 meters long and 256 meters wide
- Speed of sound: About 343 meters per second at 20°C (68°F)

Step 1: Calculate the maximum distance between fans in the stadium.
Using the Pythagorean theorem, the diagonal length of the stadium is:
Diagonal = √(length² + width²)
Diagonal = √(315² + 256²) ≈ 405 meters

Step 2: Calculate the time delay due to the speed of sound.
Time delay = Distance ÷ Speed of sound
Time delay = 405 meters ÷ 343 meters/second ≈ 1.18 seconds

This means that if fans on one end of the stadium start chanting, it will take about 1.18 seconds for the fans on the other end to hear it.

Synchronization solution:
One possible solution is to use a smartphone app that synchronizes using the stadium's Wi-Fi or cellular network. The app could:
1. Determine each phone's location within the stadium using GPS or other location services.
2. Calculate the distance from each phone to a central point, such as the center of the pitch.
3. Adjust the timing of the chant or song playback on each phone based on its distance from the central point, taking into account the speed of sound delay.

For example, phones farther away from the central point would start playing the chant slightly earlier than phones closer to the center. This way, the chants would reach the center of the stadium at the same time, creating a synchronized effect.

Challenges:
- Ensuring all fans have the app and can access the stadium's network
- Accurately determining each phone's location within the stadium
- Accounting for variations in sound speed due to temperature and humidity

In theory, synchronizing chants using technology is possible, but it would require significant coordination and development. Alternatively, you could use visual cues, like large screens or synchronized light displays, to help fans stay in time with each other.”
Crikey, not only is it unfeasibly long but none of it rhymes.
Just for the record, what tune should we be attempting it to?

Ashdown

Good shout; think we underuse this one. If we're flagging a bit, just rinse this, keep it going.

and it's the only 'chant' that would still sound good if you had two groups going out of sync!
Around us last May all the obvious and pissed part timers could shriek was Sky Blue Army , not a great atmosphere. So many spent a lot of the game coming and going from the concourse, first to drink, then to have yet another piss. There was one bloke who kept walking up and down our row asking if anyone had seen his fucking wife, like we knew what she looked like anyway🙄

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

🤔

AI to the rescue:

“ This is an interesting problem! The main challenge, as you mentioned, is the delay caused by the speed of sound. Let's explore the math and see if we can find a solution.

Given:
- Wembley Stadium dimensions: Approximately 315 meters long and 256 meters wide
- Speed of sound: About 343 meters per second at 20°C (68°F)

Step 1: Calculate the maximum distance between fans in the stadium.
Using the Pythagorean theorem, the diagonal length of the stadium is:
Diagonal = √(length² + width²)
Diagonal = √(315² + 256²) ≈ 405 meters

Step 2: Calculate the time delay due to the speed of sound.
Time delay = Distance ÷ Speed of sound
Time delay = 405 meters ÷ 343 meters/second ≈ 1.18 seconds

This means that if fans on one end of the stadium start chanting, it will take about 1.18 seconds for the fans on the other end to hear it.

Synchronization solution:
One possible solution is to use a smartphone app that synchronizes using the stadium's Wi-Fi or cellular network. The app could:
1. Determine each phone's location within the stadium using GPS or other location services.
2. Calculate the distance from each phone to a central point, such as the center of the pitch.
3. Adjust the timing of the chant or song playback on each phone based on its distance from the central point, taking into account the speed of sound delay.

For example, phones farther away from the central point would start playing the chant slightly earlier than phones closer to the center. This way, the chants would reach the center of the stadium at the same time, creating a synchronized effect.

Challenges:
- Ensuring all fans have the app and can access the stadium's network
- Accurately determining each phone's location within the stadium
- Accounting for variations in sound speed due to temperature and humidity

In theory, synchronizing chants using technology is possible, but it would require significant coordination and development. Alternatively, you could use visual cues, like large screens or synchronized light displays, to help fans stay in time with each other.”

Gustavo Dudamel Orchestra GIF by medici.tv

Liquid Gold

Didn’t Luton fans also have a load of flags? Be interested to know how it gave them the edge…
Cos Luton didn't spend years taking the piss out of their plastic flag twats who nicked their ground.

Just one of my stupid superstitions felt like it was bad luck for us.

SBT

Think it was the checkertrade final before the game in the concourse, twist and shout was really loud, that went into the stadium. I think the atmosphere was better for that game than the POF
The concourse inside Wembley is probably the most underrated pre-match option of the lot

Hobo

I do think it devalues of competition, id much rather be going to Anfield for the semi than Wembley.

Season ticket holders would still get a ticket wherever it was.

"Season tickets holders would still get a ticket wherever it was" - would depend on the teams playing. Fans need to remove their myopic self interest spectacles at times and look at the bigger footballing landscape.

Personally I hate Wembley. Stadium is okay, but where it is situated and getting on and off the site is a nightmare.

But wherever it is held, Singers Corner or mates you normally go with would be dispersed around the ground just like at Wembley.

Not sure why you think Anfield is so special? I have been there on numerous occasions following Coventry and found the atmosphere quit flat.

mmttww

There was one bloke who kept walking up and down our row asking if anyone had seen his fucking wife, like we knew what she looked like anyway🙄

#couplegoals right there. Bet she wasn't even at Wembley and he'd spent all game shout-speaking to a random woman.

SBT

Personally I hate Wembley. Stadium is okay, but where it is situated and getting on and off the site is a nightmare.
Hard to think of a major stadium that’s easier to get to via public transport than Wembley. Have never had trouble getting out either (although supposedly it’s worse for gigs).

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We could only use chants that work in a round. Has anyone got anything good to the tune of “Row row row your boat” or “Three blind mice”?
Row row row your boat
Everytime we score
Our back hurts, our arms are sore
And our hands are raw.

CovInEssex

It's easy, whole end renditions of PUSB on 5, 75 & 87 min.

In our coventry homes on 20, 50 & 70 mins.

If everyone can remember these we'll forever be known as one of the loudest set of fans at (new) Wembley.

The rest can be filler.

Macca

I have to say in that whole horrific 120 mins of agonising nervousness, cohesive singing was somewhat down my concern list. And while I’m at it if I never heard Twist and Shout again it would be too soon

Other that full of the joys of spring

pusbccfc

Let's be honest, it will be a day out for most. No one expects us to win. There isn't anything like the pressure of the last two trips. I think it will be a class atmosphere.

skybluecam

Wembley isn't great for atmosphere but the issue is really the size of our fanbase.

The main atmosphere at our games is probably generated by a core of 3,000 ish who'll sing all match, then maybe another 5,000 or so that will join in with some and boost it to a kind of critical mass that encourages others to join.

Even if we have 10,000 fans who are actively contributing to a good atmosphere, when you disperse them among 34,000 seats it becomes impossible to generate anything. Coordination to sit in a certain place would help but isn't realistic as most will have other considerations that decide seating.

EalingSB

Argentina fans had no problem making a fantastic noise at the Wembley Finalissima v Italy. Agree with the poster above about the England v Germany R16 game at EURO too. Get the hardcore in the blocks behind the goal and hopefully it gets going from there.

Essexrobbie

Always a problem at Wembley unfortunately, but what we did at Southend for a playoff final was specifically asked those who wanted to make a noise take up the lower tier sections directly behind the goal. It worked as it generated a fantastic atmosphere and encouraged the noise to spread out in unison rather than sporadic attempts in different sections.

MTK

Around us last May all the obvious and pissed part timers could shriek was Sky Blue Army , not a great atmosphere. So many spent a lot of the game coming and going from the concourse, first to drink, then to have yet another piss. There was one bloke who kept walking up and down our row asking if anyone had seen his fucking wife, like we knew what she looked like anyway🙄
Had a similar experience last May. One bloke going up and down constantly and getting aggy with a steward who (well done to him) kept really cool and stopped it escalating. Some people ended up watching all that more than the match. More people there were too drunk it seemed to me. The JPT or the L1 PO final had the best atmosphere, or maybe both were good. I remember one rendition of In our Coventry homes that gave me goosebumps. Maybe there was so much at stake last May, nerves kept people quiet, and the lack of real noise from the Luton end didn't get the we can do better than that competition going.

San Francisco

Had a similar experience last May. One bloke going up and down constantly and getting aggy with a steward who (well done to him) kept really cool and stopped it escalating. Some people ended up watching all that more than the match. More people there were too drunk it seemed to me. The JPT or the L1 PO final had the best atmosphere, or maybe both were good. I remember one rendition of In our Coventry homes that gave me goosebumps. Maybe there was so much at stake last May, nerves kept people quiet, and the lack of real noise from the Luton end didn't get the we can do better than that competition going.

I think we just have too many day-trippers and part-timers in general. Hopefully a couple seasons around the top of the Championship and eventual promotion will get us a regular and much larger more passionate full-time fanbase.
Fingers crossed the way tickets get sold for the semi-final mean more proper fans can make it. Would love to hear a 34k strong SBA in full song and teach those plastics how to really support a football team.

Hobo

Hard to think of a major stadium that’s easier to get to via public transport than Wembley. Have never had trouble getting out either (although supposedly it’s worse for gigs).
Have you ever been by coach? The road system and infrastructure around it is incompatible.

ptr

The criticism of the atmosphere at Wembley is a bit odd I think. Nervy game in which we didn’t settle at all. People were very tense as it meant so much. Just imagine what it would have been like if we were winning…or even if we won…imagine the noise after.

Was a brilliant day out and it will be again. The atmosphere in the build up was second to none. Green man…March to the arch all that! Superb.

hamertime

"Season tickets holders would still get a ticket wherever it was" - would depend on the teams playing. Fans need to remove their myopic self interest spectacles at times and look at the bigger footballing landscape.

But wherever it is held, Singers Corner or mates you normally go with would be dispersed around the ground just like at Wembley.

Not sure why you think Anfield is so special? I have been there on numerous occasions following Coventry and found the atmosphere quit flat.
season-ticket holders would get a ticket as I am not going to play it at Bournemouth are they. Anfield is a superb stadium and a superb city to play football at. The atmosphere there at times is probably the best in the country.

W
It will be after 5pm. Can’t be before that due to blackout, so likely to be 17:30 ish.
17.15 on Saturday

skybluericoh

You’re frankly insane to attempt it by coach and I’ve no idea why anyone would try.
Did you not see the trains last time? I’ve done coaches the last three times 87 did the train, not ours, but one broke down on the way. 2nd time drove to a friends house in London and got the tube. But couldn’t have a pint.

Users who are viewing this thread