Crazy Money $96 million contract (1 Viewer)

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Crazy Money in American Football

The Denver Broncos have announced that they have signed four-time NFL Most Valuable Player winner Peyton Manning.

Details of Manning's contract have not been revealed but it is thought that the former Indianapolis Colts quarterback has agreed a five-year deal worth $96 million.

http://www1.skysports.com/american-football/news/12118/7613830/Denver-confirm-Manning-capture

$369,000 per week or at todays exchange rate £233,094 per week.

Maybe he could be persuaded to buy the city with his spare change?

egastap

These 'sports' in the US......American Football, Basketball, Baseball and to a lesser extent Ice Hockey....are played by very few teams in their respective major leagues. Am. Football only play 13 or 14 games a season. Where do they find the money from to pay their superstars that kind of money.....well it's TV rights, that's where it is. Mark my words, the same thing will happen in the UK....you'll be left with one division, the Prem......the rest will revert to amateur over the next 20 -25 years. You notice how the American owners of UK teams have already bounced the idea of no-one being relegated, and therefore no-one being promoted from/to the Prem. That was the first step in creating the one league that will create a mini America type scenario. The more Yanks that buy in to the UK game, the more likely this will happen.

As I said.....mark my words!

egastap

And because each team gets 100,000+ Fans in their stadiums per game.
Yeah, but do the maths Chris.......100,000 for 13 games (of which 6 or 7 are 'home' games) times, say $80 per seat, is $8,000,000 per game or (using 7 home games) is $56 million a season......... The rest, young man, is TV. Mr. Manning is getting 20 million of that 56 million....doesn't leave much for the other 'exteremely' well paid players in the team who average about $8 million a season does it? ( and there's 36 players in a match day squad with the lowest getting about $2 million per season). As I said, do the maths.

egastap

Changing sports to Ice Hockey for a minute.....Alexander Ovechkin (Washington Capitals) ......$124 million for 13 years (9.6 million a year) Any idea how many bums are in the seats at an NHL arena? 18-22,000 !! Now fortunately for Ice Hockey they play a lot more games per season. But these 'sports' are full of overpaid prima donnas. If it wasn't for TV and advertising it would be quite different in terms of salaries. That's my point.

That's why we need to get financial control of football before it goes to the dogs.

egastap

They're definitely real.
Agreed they're real, but my point was that for a country which is what, 20 times bigger than the UK has only 20 major teams, give or take, in each of their major leagues. The UK has what, 94 teams in the top four divisions, most of them living way too close to the wire.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Mark my words, the same thing will happen in the UK....you'll be left with one division, the Prem......the rest will revert to amateur over the next 20 -25 years.

That was the first step in creating the one league that will create a mini America type scenario. The more Yanks that buy in to the UK game, the more likely this will happen.

As I said.....mark my words!

I agree to a small degree, however I think the future will be a breakaway European League with teams from at least Spain, Italy, Germany, England & France. Bearing in mind these big money European countries are closer together than most of the USA, so makes it very logistical.

ajsccfc

Agreed they're real, but my point was that for a country which is what, 20 times bigger than the UK has only 20 major teams, give or take, in each of their major leagues. The UK has what, 94 teams in the top four divisions, most of them living way too close to the wire.

I'm sure if we were to have set the Premier League from scratch now that'd be the model that would follow, but even in an age where they're laughably suggesting a 39th game played in Malawi or whatever, we're too set in our ways to close up shop. The most we get are the Old Firm looking at joining the fun twice a year.

telferstekkers

in all fairness NHL teams play 160 league games a season, when you think of the amount of travelling time that takes up as well theyre pretty much on the road for the whole season,
and the likes of Ovetchkin, Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard keep up the intensity all season!

Personally i feel that Ice Hockey players should be the highest earners in american sport!

egastap

Switching gears to baseball....Alex Rodrigues (A-Rod) is the top paid player. Look at his contract details: "Even with a limited endorsement portfolio, Rodriguez remains baseball’s top-earning player with combined on and off the field income expected to hit $32 million in 2012. Credit the 10-year, $275 million contract extension he signed with the Yankees in 2007. The deal pays him $30 million this year, including a $1 million bonus paid in January.
A-Rod’s 2012 income will soar by another $6 million if he hits 31 home runs. His contract includes a $30 million marketing agreement with the Yankees that gets triggered in five installments worth $6 million, each based on career home run thresholds".
Is that absolutely crazy or what?

scroobiustom

That A-Rod deal is mental! Beckham's deal when he first signed for LA Galaxy equated to something like £300 p/hour over 5 years or something, but that deal, Jesus!

Darth Robins

In this case it's kinda balanced by the lack of transfer fees, you can't sell a player for $100m and the fact that the teams have a salary cap (and floor), plus revenue sharing which puts them all on a mostly even footing. Also in this case the Broncos have signed probably the best QB ever to have played the game, it's like getting Messi on a free transfer.

mark82

That A-Rod deal is mental! Beckham's deal when he first signed for LA Galaxy equated to something like £300 p/hour over 5 years or something, but that deal, Jesus!

The A-Rod deal would probably work out at less an hour. Games are longer and play about 5 games per week.

Users who are viewing this thread