Cranie v Wood (1 Viewer)

speedie87

I'm certainly in the Wood camp here, yes Cranie is better on the ball but i'd rather have Wood at centre half. Plus i reckon he plays better with Keogh, Cranie and Keogh are often to far apart.

I also put Hussey's improvement in the last 2 games down to playing along side wood, Cranie doesn't talk enough to him imo.

PLus as last night shows he offers a goal threat.

Sutty

I rate Wood as the best centre back at the club. I also rate Keogh. And Cranie. And Cameron. And McPake when he's fit.

We've got a decent defence haven't we.

speedie87

personally i'd play Wood and one other.......

Cranie and Keogh to Rb would have been my choice at the start of the season but playing a diamond midfield requires attacking full backs and Christie is doing well in that regard, he's the best crosser we have!

I too like Mcpake but i dont rate Cameron at all i think he's a liability

Nonleagueherewecome

I think Woods game suffered terribly under Aidy. His first ball was always the hoof, and invariablly it came straight back. He missed 5-6 fantastic chances from corners last year, usually heading well over, at least 4 of which he only needed to hit the target with and it was a goal. It also always seemed to be him making mistakes that led to goals-seriously, it was most weeks; he cost us at least half a dozen goals last season. His "best" one being the one when he just stopped and waited for a whistle whilst the injured Guy Moussi limped past him against Forest. CWR played it on Saturday in the pre-match show. Possibly the single worst bit of City defending I've ever seen!

However....this year, he looks like a completely different player. But then, there's nothing new in that; every single player in the squad went up about 3 gears when AT got the job last season. Wood barely played under him. This year, it looks like the AT magic has been worked on yet another player. He looks back to the powerful, committed, aerially dominant centre-back he was under Coleman and alongside McPake during the long unbeaten run.

Cranie was superb last season under AT at centre-back, and part of that was inevitably the change in style. He's suited to the passing game, more than Wood is perhaps. But I think Cranie and Keogh as a partnership are a bit lightweight, particularly in the air. Wood (or McPake, even Cameron) do compliment either of AT's original first choice pairing better in terms of attributes. And although I do rate Cranie highly, he has been a bit error prone. I also agree that Wood adds vital leadership and communication skills to the back four.

Wood's the man in possession, and Cranie's out for a while. This is why we need a squad. I'd keep Wood in the side as long as he's playing like he has in the past few games. Once Cranie (and McPake) are fully fit, we'll be in a position to consider moving Keogh to RB, or even give Hussey a breather for a few games with Cranie at LB. Ultimately, we've rarely been in a position where they're all fit, and in a long season, we'll need them all. Especially if SISU sell a few at Xmas. If they do, the smart move would possibly be to sell Cranie as his contract's up in the summer. Lets hope it doesn't come to that though!

Wallace

I know I'll be slaughtered but Cranie started off as a midfielder. I would like to se him play as a defensive midfielder who can slip back as a sweeper.

Having

Cranie
Cligan / Deegan
Thomas or Bigi

I think would be a good midfield. As for Woods I think he has a similar character to Ward. He is by far the best central defender when he wants to be.

spwaverley4916

I rate both Wood and Cranie as they both has differing strengths. Could be that if Clingan goes but Cranie signs a new contract then Cranie could, I believe play in the defensive midfield role ??

edgy

I know I'll be slaughtered but Cranie started off as a midfielder. I would like to se him play as a defensive midfielder who can slip back as a sweeper.

Having

Cranie
Cligan / Deegan
Thomas or Bigi

I think would be a good midfield. As for Woods I think he has a similar character to Ward. He is by far the best central defender when he wants to be.

Craine was played in the defensive midfield last season and he was dreadful.

Nonleagueherewecome

I've always thought Cranie was abysmal in the midfield role. Like the Bury game.

PVA

If you had asked me before the start of the season I would have said Wood and Cranie with Keogh at RB.

However Christie has been excellent and can't be dropped right now. So unless he has a sudden drop in form, centre back looks to be a very tricky place to get a game for a lot of guys, which can only be a good thing.

junglej13

To listen to some people I think they'd be happy for Cranie to play in the hole behind the strikers and build the team around him! Wood is 10 times the player Cranie is, as is McPake in my eyes.

ccfcway

SISU could ensure that this competition for places stops...

Lets sell one or two of them in January.

:whistle:

Nonleagueherewecome

Of course, they won't have noticed that one or two of them is always injured.

Talking of competition though, I heard Aidy say this during a recent commentary stint:

"The secret to success at Watford was competition for places. At centre-back I had Clarke Carlise, Malky Mackay and Jay Demerit all battling for a place in the side, and if one of them slacked off they knew they'd lose their place".

Of course the secret was probably actually Marlon King, Tommy Smith and Darius Henderson up front..but still, it's a vital point: without competition, players don't play to their full potential all the time. A lot of Woods improvement is perhaps that he now really has to play well to keep his place.

I also think Cameron's been unlucky, but then I didn't see Barnsley. I thought he was superb against Blackpool, winning everything in the air much as Wood has. But Wood is ahead of him on present form, and adds that vital experience and leadership. Remember how Sheff Wed plummeted when Wood left them for us?

Lord_Nampil

Wood is one of the most important players in a very young squad!!! For me on sat (didnt go yesterday as im in croatia) he was very talkative and gave the back 4 a little bit of confidence! He is the only leader i think we actually have at the club!!!

Nonleagueherewecome

On leadership, all 3 of those Watford CB's have captained at some stage. Wood was Sheff W captain and McPake was Livingstone captain. That's what we've been missing, natural leaders. I'd put Deegan in that category, too.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Of course, they won't have noticed that one or two of them is always injured.

Talking of competition though, I heard Aidy say this during a recent commentary stint:

"The secret to success at Watford was competition for places. At centre-back I had Clarke Carlise, Malky Mackay and Jay Demerit all battling for a place in the side, and if one of them slacked off they knew they'd lose their place".

Of course the secret was probably actually Marlon King, Tommy Smith and Darius Henderson up front..but still, it's a vital point: without competition, players don't play to their full potential all the time. A lot of Woods improvement is perhaps that he now really has to play well to keep his place.

I also think Cameron's been unlucky, but then I didn't see Barnsley. I thought he was superb against Blackpool, winning everything in the air much as Wood has. But Wood is ahead of him on present form, and adds that vital experience and leadership. Remember how Sheff Wed plummeted when Wood left them for us?
Yea not to forget now Manchester UTD winger Ashley Young.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Personally I think Mcpake is better Wood, I have always thought Wood was slightly overated but I would still have Mcpake and Wood as the best defenders at the club in terms of defensive ability.

wingy

If wood can replicate his scoring form of 8 goals in 10-12 games ,@ the end of Shef wed season when we were battling with them to stay up ,he'll do for me.

Sutty

If wood can replicate his scoring form of 8 goals in 10-12 games ,@ the end of Shef wed season when we were battling with them to stay up ,he'll do for me.

I've heard this a couple of times but never seen evidence that it actually happened.

According to wikipedia he only scored 7 goals in his whole Sheffield Wednesday career!

wingy

Sorry lads been looking for evidence myself ,it does look like seven career goals ,must have all come in that run in i think he started the season as captain ,got unsettled by our interest ,won it back later in the season to drive them on in their battle with the drop,he definately knocked a good few in through that run in ,probably had the sky blue goggles on knowing he was coming to us.:facepalm:

rob9872

I like Christies pace at RB but that makes me think in time he could make a good wide player and push further up. That would allow Cranie and Wood to play CB and Keogh at RB. In fact that would be good on that side with Keogh and Cyrus but would probably require a more rigid formation like 4-4-2 than our diamond, but could be part of a plan B.

covcity4life

normally id say cranie straight away but i havnt been too impressed this year,wood has a 50p head and doesnt seem to know when to control a ball rather than get rid or head the ball back into oppositions control.

but i was really really impressed with wood v forest and he seemed to have continued his form vs leeds,also he scores alot more than the rest of the team bar juke lol

right now id keep wood until eithe rinjury or bad form,then its mcpakes turn lol

Users who are viewing this thread