Coventry, Warwickshire? (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Nope. Never been in warwickshire in my lifetime, the boundary changes were part of the 1972 local government act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

olderskyblue

It was in Warwickshire first for me, then the boundary changes took it out... In my rebellious youth, I didn't accept West Midlands, and still used Warwickshire on letters etc. I live in Warwickshire now, so not an issue anymore. :)

Colonel Mustard

I see Coventry as being part of Warwickshire. I'm sure arguments could be made for shared history and culture and whatnot, but I see it as being a straightforward geographic issue. The city is surrounded by the Warwickshire towns.

warwickshire.jpg

Coventry's absence in that picture is a bit conspicuous! And it just feels that way too. Anyone who has driven around the area knows how Walsgrave can take you off to Rugby and how Earlsdon can take you off to Kenilworth. It is is the central hub of the area.

blueflint

i was born in 1947 in coventry warwickshire it will always be that for me

Otis

Warwickshire for me.

West Midands as far as I am concerned is a safari park.

Johnnythespider

Warwickshire, the west Midlands just doesn't sound right to me, and now there are noises from Birmingham about dragging Coventry into some Greater Birmingham region. I would welcome a return to Warwickshire.

Otis

Warwickshire, the west Midlands just doesn't sound right to me, and now there are noises from Birmingham about dragging Coventry into some Greater Birmingham region. I would welcome a return to Warwickshire.

Greater Than Birmingham perhaps.

RegTheDonk

Its been West Midlands for most of my adult life, so haven't given it much thought. I can understand however some of our older posters might object ....I do feel less connected to the "Birmingham Bears" in the T20...that somehow doesn't seem right at all.

Covstu

i would like to think we are Warwickshire but in reality we are WM. It looks like we are deliberately removed from Warwickshire back in 72 and as the map of Warwickshire shows we sit vertually in the middle which seems bizarre.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was also born in Coventry, WARWICKSHIRE. I still put Warwickshire on addresses when posting letters to Coventry. They still reach their destination! Makes me feel better, anyway! ;)

skybluetony176

Nope. Never been in warwickshire in my lifetime, the boundary changes were part of the 1972 local government act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Do you think in 15-20years time the children of Coventry will be saying something similar about CCFC?

"I don't support them because they've never been in Coventry in my lifetime"

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Scary, but a possibility, skybluetony176!

Grendel

Do you think in 15-20years time the children of Coventry will be saying something similar about CCFC?

"I don't support them because they've never been in Coventry in my lifetime"

Depends how succesful they are. Manchester and Chelsea have never been in Coventry to my knowledge.

skybluetony176

Depends how succesful they are. Manchester and Chelsea have never been in Coventry to my knowledge.

Only for away games. Something else we might be able to say about CCFC in years to come when they're playing sphinx away under sisu's guidance. Do you think we'll be at the bottom of the cycle by then?

L

limoncello

There's something quaint about living in a shire. 'West Midlands' sounds a bit too brutal.

Grendel

How is it of topic. Coventry isn't in Warwickshire according to some. So using the same logic a CCFC in Warwickshire can't represent Coventry.
That's perfectly on topic

No its just you peddling the same tired shit as usual. We are bored with you Tony.

rondog1973

Coventry, County of the City of Coventry.

For the majority of the city's history, this has been its status.

Brighton Sky Blue

I hope the Birmingham Bears lose every T20 they play-best of luck to the Warwickshire Bears in the two other formats though, for as long as they continue to represent the classical Warwickshire which Coventry is bang in the middle of. The West Midlands has almost become a byword for Greater Birmingham and it does a huge insult to the other culturally and historically distinct parts of the region.

Users who are viewing this thread