Video Coventry v Swindon (1 Viewer)

Otis

I think Grimmer is guilty of ball watching there for their goal.

Think that's his man who has the freedom to put that cross in.

Otis

That first still Bayliss has his man. As the play continues Willis makes his way back and Grimmer should go over to mark their guy on the left in space. Either that, or Willis takes him and Grimmer covers the middle.

Otis

In that first still of the second batch the one forward is running towards Davies, so Davies' man. Bayliss is on the man with the ball and Willis is coming back into position.

In that second still you have 3 City players covering just that one man.

We are 5 on 3.

Otis

It was JMD's man.

Yep, I'm sure you're right, but he isn't even in the picture there, so it is up to the remaining defending players to cover that at that point and with the numbers we have there we should be able to stop that ball from getting into the box.

skybluebeast

The big issue for me for their goal, is occurring more and more each game.. the whole game today the back four were getting themselves out of position by becoming too narrow. Stokes and Grimmer too often come inside on what I would say is the CB’s man to mark. While our wingers make half arsed attempts to get back which ultimately leaves the opposition with at least 1 if not 2 players free on the wing. Swindon kept on doing it down our left today, every time they got the ball in the first half in our half the first look up they had was to our left.

Last edited:

stupot07

The big issue for me for their goal, is occurring more and more each game.. the whole game today the back four were getting themselves out of position by becoming too narrow. Stokes and Grimmer too often come inside on what I would say is the CB’s man to mark. While our wingers make half arsed attempts to get back which ultimately leaves the opposition with at least 1 if not 2 players free on the wing. Swindon kept on doing it down our left today, every time they got the ball in the first half in our half the first look up they had was to our left.
Grimmer had tucked in because Willis was out of position, which is exactly what he should do. If grimmer had stayed in the rightback area marking the winger, the striker with the yellow boots would have been completely unmarked with a huge gap for their midfielder to slip him in 1-1 with the keeper.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ba8c3538c7cf6d20cf98c1e2b6690b73.jpg

Last edited:

Otis

Grimmer had tucked in because Willis was out of position.

Yep. He did the right thing there, but at some point either Willis should have taken their wingback, or Grimmer should have moved across and allowed Willis to come back into the centre.

They end up both standing next to each other.

Lack of communication, cos Willis tries to go back into the centre and Grimmer holds his ground and therefore both of them end up almost in the same position.

mrtrench

Does Max get the credit for both the assist (his header) and the goal?

Otis

Think we are very lucky we weren't made to take that penalty again. JMD is clearly encroaching by a country mile.

steve82

Grimmer had tucked in because Willis was out of position, which is exactly what he should do. If grimmer had stayed in the rightback area marking the winger, the striker with the yellow boots would have been completely unmarked with a huge gap for their midfielder to slip him in 1-1 with the keeper.

That's my take on it too and Grimmer was correct, Willis comes out to clear the header, doesn't make it Grimmer tucks in. Bayliss canters back following the ball and Willis wants to slot in to his position when he should of done Grimmer said job at right back instead of rejoining his position.

At the point the ball is crossed Willis is now at the role of Right back Grimmer in Willis CB role while Davies could of swung a leg.

All to easy unfortunately from the moment the header was lost.

Otis

Yep, but if you move that clip on (just a few more freeze frames) there is the opportunity for either Grimmer to go over to cover the wingback, because Willis is returning to the position he should be in, or for Grimmer to hold his position and Willis to cover the wingback.

Wind it on just a few frames and Grimmer and Willis are pretty much side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread