Match Thread Coventry v Rangers (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

To be fair I was listening to Steven pressley on SSN earlier and he was saying rangers and celtic can't compete financially with some Championship clubs.

I know he's a blurt but I agree with him

Celtic turned over more than Leeds in 2018 - 2019.
If you take out European football and the fee for Kieran Tierney they were probably just slightly ahead and made a profit.

The question is, if Celtic and Rangers were in the Championship would their owners (or new owners) be prepared to underwrite a serious shot at getting to the EPL?

RingoCCFC

Celtic turned over more than Leeds in 2018 - 2019.
If you take out European football and the fee for Kieran Tierney they were probably just slightly ahead and made a profit.

The question is, if Celtic and Rangers were in the Championship would their owners (or new owners) be prepared to underwrite a serious shot at getting to the EPL?

I truthfully think they’d both struggle to get promoted, when you consider the competition in the championship... like they have a few competitive teams that are on par with Wycombes at best and the rest are league two standard at best. It’s pretty easy to play and get results in a league where there’s how many teams but only 3-4 of them are partly challenging!

They get the fans don’t get me wrong because I feel that they’re the biggest clubs in their league. It’s easy to support teams that don’t have major downfalls, if they were in our division for a few years and results didn’t come and they dropped a League I’m sure they’d not retain all their ‘glory supporters’. Especially with the guarantee of European footballs removed!

Magwitch

You are corrrct people underestimate the worldwide support for Rangers and Celtic unfortunately a lot religious based.

wingy

If they were put in the Championship they would storm it. Not because of the team they have now, but the prospect of getting in the PL would entice huge investment into them that would dwarf anything our Championship clubs could muster. They would be at a huge advantage.
I don't necessarily buy into this
Look at LU.

Legia Sky Blue

I don't necessarily buy into this
Look at LU.

Rangers and Celtic are much bigger than Leeds - they are financially hampered by playing in the Scottish League. In England only Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U can rival them in terms of history and support base - how long do you think those clubs would take to get out of the Championship if they were placed there, but with say Rangers current squad of players?

matesx

I truthfully think they’d both struggle to get promoted, when you consider the competition in the championship... like they have a few competitive teams that are on par with Wycombes at best and the rest are league two standard at best. It’s pretty easy to play and get results in a league where there’s how many teams but only 3-4 of them are partly challenging!

They get the fans don’t get me wrong because I feel that they’re the biggest clubs in their league. It’s easy to support teams that don’t have major downfalls, if they were in our division for a few years and results didn’t come and they dropped a League I’m sure they’d not retain all their ‘glory supporters’. Especially with the guarantee of European footballs removed!

No disrespect but you really don't understand the size of Celtic and Rangers.

Glory supporters? that made me laugh. Their support is enormous.

Rangers still pulled 50,000 in Scottish division 2.

They play in a poor league against the likes of Ross County and still pull 50,000-60,000 to watch routine wins.

wingy

You think it would take Arsenal, Liverpool & Man Utd 5-10 years to get out of the Championship?
Clearly not and I'm talking solely about two team's merging from Scotland .

They would have to adjust to playing each team twice .
They may find a salary cap .
Money alone is no guarantee.
Huge player turnover would happen IMO

Possibly management change etc

If there wasn't instant results I think all of the above would be exacerbated,, leading to more illogical change , which makes me think a minimum of 5 year's would likely be required

Anyway nothing is set in stone that's my logic for my opinion .

RingoCCFC

They play in a poor league against the likes of Ross County and still pull 50,000-60,000 to watch routine wins.

No you’re right I’m autistic? I think I understand the size of them I’m more than capable enough! 😂

Every club has glory supporters you dafty! Otherwise we’d have 30,000+ week in week out based on attendances of cup games and off performances? Rangers pulled that in their second division as they knew they were going to go back!!

You’re comparing a guy loosing a drag race in a BMW M5 to a guy in a GTR! Then having a second race against a Fiat Punto... of course 50,000 backed rangers were going to piss that league sooner or later and get back to where they were as despite not always being factually true... statistically more money gets more results when comparing a millionaire to a guy on JSA!

If Celtic or Rangers were in the championship where they didn’t win the league every season or easily guarantee themselves a trip to Europe but instead had threats imposed of playing in League One after playing harder sides in the championship... then dropped down and finding out their revenue now solely based on tickets sale gate revenue, no televised big payments, Europe payments... they’d find themselves as a Sunderland! No matter if you have 60,000 fans it’s pocket change as they certainly wouldn’t be able to charge 370 quid as their lowest season ticket anymore! Sunderland are rare for doing that and as a result don’t have the same turn out due to dropping leagues! In a similar circumstance if they charged the average of 240 x 50,000 let’s say even though they’re average is 49,000 and not all of them season ticket holders and not all adults and with their seniors... 12,000,000 plus standard league income? They’d see a turn in tide! (Hence why Sunderland aren’t the same club despite a higher turn out their revenue isn’t David vs Goliath in reality to say Portsmouth or Peterborough)

Don’t even know why I have to explain or justify this as it’d never happen! But Rangers and Celtic have that fan base because of their success and history of success! Put them 100 years back and limited success in a more competitive league and I can tell you that town 1/4 of the size of Birmingham wouldn’t have both clubs getting that following if that were the case!

When using a brain and trying to evaluate things outside the bubble of what they are and trying to analyze things from an alternate perspective it’s easy to someone that one bad turn of luck even if they were brought in with that fan base they could find the tide turning.

I’ve never said they were dogshit or all their fans fake, but to think they don’t have glory supporters just because they get 50,000 in division two isn’t logical thinking, glory supporting isn’t just defined to one season otherwise Man Utd wouldn’t have fans still! 🤷🏻‍♂️😂 People follow historical glory... alike our nation... now small fry that India could invade and pilleage with our defunded military but people respect our now dated success and thus respect us accordingly for our prior military achievements!

Nice theoretical analogy their though! (No offence intended of course sweet cheeks! 😄)

fernandopartridge

Agreed, said on here many times before but the pair of them are in the top 5 biggest British clubs

Brighton Sky Blue

No you’re right I’m autistic? I think I understand the size of them I’m more than capable enough! 😂

Every club has glory supporters you dafty! Otherwise we’d have 30,000+ week in week out based on attendances of cup games and off performances? Rangers pulled that in their second division as they knew they were going to go back!!

You’re comparing a guy loosing a drag race in a BMW M5 to a guy in a GTR! Then having a second race against a Fiat Punto... of course 50,000 backed rangers were going to piss that league sooner or later and get back to where they were as despite not always being factually true... statistically more money gets more results when comparing a millionaire to a guy on JSA!

If Celtic or Rangers were in the championship where they didn’t win the league every season or easily guarantee themselves a trip to Europe but instead had threats imposed of playing in League One after playing harder sides in the championship... then dropped down and finding out their revenue now solely based on tickets sale gate revenue, no televised big payments, Europe payments... they’d find themselves as a Sunderland! No matter if you have 60,000 fans it’s pocket change as they certainly wouldn’t be able to charge 370 quid as their lowest season ticket anymore! Sunderland are rare for doing that and as a result don’t have the same turn out due to dropping leagues! In a similar circumstance if they charged the average of 240 x 50,000 let’s say even though they’re average is 49,000 and not all of them season ticket holders and not all adults and with their seniors... 12,000,000 plus standard league income? They’d see a turn in tide! (Hence why Sunderland aren’t the same club despite a higher turn out their revenue isn’t David vs Goliath in reality to say Portsmouth or Peterborough)

Don’t even know why I have to explain or justify this as it’d never happen! But Rangers and Celtic have that fan base because of their success and history of success! Put them 100 years back and limited success in a more competitive league and I can tell you that town 1/4 of the size of Birmingham wouldn’t have both clubs getting that following if that were the case!

When using a brain and trying to evaluate things outside the bubble of what they are and trying to analyze things from an alternate perspective it’s easy to someone that one bad turn of luck even if they were brought in with that fan base they could find the tide turning.

I’ve never said they were dogshit or all their fans fake, but to think they don’t have glory supporters just because they get 50,000 in division two isn’t logical thinking, glory supporting isn’t just defined to one season otherwise Man Utd wouldn’t have fans still! 🤷🏻‍♂️😂 People follow historical glory... alike our nation... now small fry that India could invade and pilleage with our defunded military but people respect our now dated success and thus respect us accordingly for our prior military achievements!

Nice theoretical analogy their though! (No offence intended of course sweet cheeks! 😄)

To be fair Glasgow is a huge city that is football mad, even if it divided between 2 clubs it would at least be competitive in the top flight. Think it’s easy to forget that before TV money and tycoons came along the best Scottish clubs and players were a match for their English counterparts. If you gave them the same resources that were dished out to Bournemouth and Burnley it wouldn’t be a contest.

David O'Day

To be fair Glasgow is a huge city that is football mad, even if it divided between 2 clubs it would at least be competitive in the top flight. Think it’s easy to forget that before TV money and tycoons came along the best Scottish clubs and players were a match for their English counterparts. If you gave them the same resources that were dished out to Bournemouth and Burnley it wouldn’t be a contest.

Take into account the commercial ability of celtic and to a lesser degree "them ums" as well.

Celtic with PL TV would be massive

Nonleagueherewecome

As if this is still being discussed 😴 who gives a shit 😝
The thread before the game was even worse! What the hell is wrong with City fans? Why do we give a shit about either Celtic or Rangers? Is everyone on here secretly Scottish? Who cares about the standard of the SPL? All we need to know is that:

a) Stephen Jennings was rated in the top 3 SPL players the season before he joined us, so that makes it roughly L1-L2 standard.
b) Rangers and Celtic are both shite and Brechin are the only team worth following.

The whole topic is like Man U fans in the 80's: lots of talk cos there's lots of fans, but nothing of substance and certainly no decent football.

Nonleagueherewecome

matesx

The thread before the game was even worse! What the hell is wrong with City fans? Why do we give a shit about either Celtic or Rangers? Is everyone on here secretly Scottish? Who cares about the standard of the SPL? All we need to know is that:

a) Stephen Jennings was rated in the top 3 SPL players the season before he joined us, so that makes it roughly L1-L2 standard.
b) Rangers and Celtic are both shite and Brechin are the only team worth following.

The whole topic is like Man U fans in the 80's: lots of talk cos there's lots of fans, but nothing of substance and certainly no decent football.

Im Scottish ... No secret. Glaswegian at that.

Nonleagueherewecome

Im Scottish ... No secret. Glaswegian at that.
Gotta be with that avatar!

Rangers and Celtic have plenty of forums, though.

Liquid Gold

I think Celtic would be a huge force after a few years. Rangers would slightly diminish as they wouldn’t have the pull of being the ‘British club’ when playing English teams. Think they’d end into like an Everton at most. Celtic would have Incredible marketing potential as the ‘Irish team’ in the epl for North American fans.

This is from someone bought up on rangers too. I don’t give a shit now.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I think Celtic would be a huge force after a few years. Rangers would slightly diminish as they wouldn’t have the pull of being the ‘British club’ when playing English teams. Think they’d end into like an Everton at most. Celtic would have Incredible marketing potential as the ‘Irish team’ in the epl for North American fans.

This is from someone bought up on rangers too. I don’t give a shit now.
I concur. Celtic would have a massive worldwide reach. Rangers would have a ‘not my team but I hate the catholic’s’ reach. Not putting my own views here, just what I would imagine would happen. Personally couldn’t care less about either. Scottish football has no interest for me.

covcity4life

At the risk of sounding like Grenners £50 to a charity of our choice on the SPL?
Nah im not a rangers fan just want them to win league to end Celtics run thats all. I preferred Celtic in 90s when rangers seemed to win all the time

I'm well aware Celtic are favourites still

David O'Day

Nah im not a rangers fan just want them to win league to end Celtics run thats all. I preferred Celtic in 90s when rangers seemed to win all the time

I'm well aware Celtic are favourites still

Nah you're one of them.

I can tell by the spelling.

Users who are viewing this thread