Coventry University (1 Viewer)

hemelsky

Hi,
my daughter is beginning to look at Unis for Sept 2013 and is thinking about Cov University (studying history). Anyone know much about the Uni?
I am secretly hoping she will pick it cos I could then justify parental visits on a Saturday

CovKingChris

Facebook User
The majority of people in my year who are going to Uni in September didn't even consider Cov. Take what you want from that but it should be based on purely you daughters opinion of the Uni.

TheRoyalScam

Nottingham has a very highly rated History department, according to undergraduate Scam Jnr.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hi,
my daughter is beginning to look at Unis for Sept 2013 and is thinking about Cov University (studying history). Anyone know much about the Uni?
I am secretly hoping she will pick it cos I could then justify parental visits on a Saturday

What kind of grades is she looking at?

RedSalmon

It does depend on the subject being studied. She needs to check out what kind of reputation Coventry University has for teaching history. Opinions will differ, but it will make a big difference when she comes to getting a job in the future. Employers take these things into account.

Get her to have a look at the city of Coventry and see what she thinks of it, after all she will have to live here. First year will be in halls, which is nice, but the second and third years will be wherever she can get a house to share. Some times that can be a bit desperate.

I have had a lot of contact with students attending Coventry University over the years, and it has to be said that the city it self is a lot more student friendly than it was ten years ago. Ten years ago most students would openly comment that Coventry was a 'dump'. These days the comments are a lot more positive.

Stevec189

They describe themselves as a City Centre University with a campus feel which when you see how much of the city centre they own is probably true. Don't know how good the history department is but very strong in design and engineering of all kinds. Best of luck to her Hemelsky. Suggest you look at the fixture list so open day visits can co incide with away games?! PUSB

CovClaire

Have worked at the University for 23 years (not as an Academic) and also studied part-time for my BA Hons in Business Information Technology. I guess you could therefore say I'm a bit biased.

The University has improved greatly over the past few years which is reflected by the rise in places in the league tables (nice to see something in Cov going UP a league table) and also by results from the National Student Survey. In terms of facilities for students, these are excellent, especially since the opening of the new Students' Union building (The Hub) which puts Coventry SU as one of the best in the country.

I don't know much about our History stats but could get these for you. As said previously, have a look at the University's website and come to one of the Open Days.

Last edited:

Covstu

I have done my degree and my Cipd at cov uni and had great experiences on both occasions - all 6 years of it! There has been a lot of investment in the u I particularly the library. It has a great reputation for engineering and design too. Totally recommend it. Oh and it has a great football team!

Disorganised1

My daughter did a degree in History and Politics at Cov, and is now teaching at a secondary school in the city. They have some excellent tutors, don't know if Tudor is still part-timing there, but if he is then even more to the good.

hemelsky

Thanks guys - some helpful comments which are appreciated. The pile of prospectus' is already looking to engulf our lounge and the potential Open Day visits are quite daunting.
PUSB

Hugh Jarse

Get her to have a look at the city of Coventry and see what she thinks of it, after all she will have to live here.

That's that then! One look at the shithole that is Coventry City centre and she'll be running for the hills.

Users who are viewing this thread