Coventry United Officially Formed. (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

http://ccfctv.co.uk/2013/06/19/coventry-united-football-club-formed/

Four businessmen who are Coventry City fans have formed Coventry United Football Club. in protest at Sisu Capital’s running of Coventry City Football Club.

They have however outlined their continued support for Coventry City, but admit that could change if Sisu continue with their plans to take the club out of the city.

Chairman Jason Kay said it was not intended to become a replacement but could if the Sky Blues were moved out of the city.

He told the Coventry Observer: “Are we disgruntled with Coventry City? Yes.

“Will we watch them outside of Coventry? Absolutely not.

“A lot of supporters don’t want to go outside of Coventry and I wanted to do something about it. I thought I’d spend my money on a club within the city.”

Mr Kay, managing director of Electric Wharf-based IT firm Currant Ltd, has sponsored City matches in the past as well as strikers Cody McDonald and Marlon King.

And he said United could eventually be similar to that of AFC Wimbledon, which launched after the original club was moved from London to Milton Keynes.

He has already bought the rights to AFCCoventry.com – in case the club decides to go down that route.

“It wasn’t our objective but the more we talk to people the more they would like it to be.

“I want people to support all teams that play in Coventry, including CCFC.

“I’ll be back to the Ricoh if they get it sorted with ACL and United will become my second team.

“But if they stick to their guns and leave the city, that’s when it becomes an issue.

“So I’d be hesitant to say it could be the next AFC Wimbledon because it all lies with the club.”

Coventry United will play their home games at Westwood Heath Sports Ground in the Midland Combination Division Two which is nine divisions below League One where City currently ply their trade.

Among the players is striker Brian Ndlovu, brother of former star Peter, and management have already set their sights on promotion.

United will play in red shirts with sponsor Graham Plumbers’ Merchant adding a touch of green – meaning they will play in the city’s civic colours – but the club have not ruled out a future switch to the famous Sky Blue.

So the question is...will you support them if CCFC are taken out of the city? On the survey at the bottom of the article I said yes.

Evo1883

i answered no ,mainly because i feel it has no assosiation with the current CCFC ,united sounds awful ,therefore they are just another cov sphinx really ,also most people voting yes wouldnt go really ,they are saying it out of current anger towards ccfc
BUT good luck to them and i hope they do well

Gray

i may go and watch one of the local teams play (if Cov are not at the Ricoh). Just to see some football each week. Wont be actually supporting them though (there may be some egging them on though)

Monkeyface

Haven't made it particularly attractive to anybody thinking of not following the Sky Blues have they... Red shirts and called united. May as well go the whole hog and call the Coventry Villa or Coventry Foxes! I won't be travelling outside of Coventry for home games, the egg chasers can have my money.

pusbccfc

Might watch a few. Used to watch the Masseys play when Cov didn't have a fixture.

tbh444

If there ever became a need for a phoenix club it would be a job for a democratic fans group (such as the trust). No problem if some people want to form new club but they really shouldn't be trying to link themselves to CCFC or AFC Wimbledon.

skybluesham

i'd never go and watch them if they get promoted each year and end up in league 2. Coventry CITY football club is where my heart belongs no matter where there play and whatever league there in! I

mark82

I would rather set up a fan owned club than go and watch their play thing.

Not to say I wouldn't watch them this year though until we could set up a fan owned club.

Johnnythespider

Hmmmm, united, play in red, is the manager a jock with a bulbous red nose by any chance.

Grendel

Oh dear Coventry Phoenix looks dead before it has even started.

ajsccfc

I don't believe 73% mean it. They're angry about this mooted groundshare sure, but when it comes to watching a brand new team play several levels lower than they're used to seeing based purely on them having Coventry in the name? I don't see it, it's just talk like the 'RIP, that's it for me' trope.

RichieGunns

Fair play but the badge looks too EDL. Also cannot understand what the red is all about.

Um whats not to understand?

The article is pretty clear on why they're playing in read and green.

It's Coventries civic colours and colours that CCFC played in back when they were first formed.

So quite obvious why they're using red really...

mark82

Um whats not to understand?

The article is pretty clear on why they're playing in read and green.

It's Coventries civic colours and colours that CCFC played in back when they were first formed.

So quite obvious why they're using red really...

When the guy was on here the other week I don't think they had put that much thought into it. They were red because they didn't want to be a copy of Coventry. It was mentioned on here about red & green being Coventry colours and they seem to have picked up on it. What I like less is that the other week they were making it clear they were not going to be a Phoenix club but now they are saying they have bought the rights to afccoventry.com.

And the biggest issue of all - why does everyone think Phoenix/Breakaway clubs have to be AFC Something!

Grendel

Not really people have voted 73% yes

And the majority probay don't and never have watched CCFC so will vote yes and never watch them

I would bet the resident Coventry fan hating troll dadgad as an example voted yes. He's never been to the Ricoh.

Nick

Administrator
When the guy was on here the other week I don't think they had put that much thought into it. They were red because they didn't want to be a copy of Coventry. It was mentioned on here about red & green being Coventry colours and they seem to have picked up on it. What I like less is that the other week they were making it clear they were not going to be a Phoenix club but now they are saying they have bought the rights to afccoventry.com.

And the biggest issue of all - why does everyone think Phoenix/Breakaway clubs have to be AFC Something!

By buying the rights it means he bought a domain name, that's all.

Spionkop

Oh for crying out loud, so much petty moaning. The name, the shirt, the supposed attitude of the owners. They are just a few blokes offering something truly Coventry. A lot on here truly live up to the stereotype of miserable Coventry.
This new club is simply another alternative - to run alongside our beloved CCFC. Stop being so damn picky with everything - that's aimed at most on the thread - no one in particular.
If the City play at another ground I will go and watch them and I hope a few others will as well.

jesus-wept

And the majority probay don't and never have watched CCFC so will vote yes and never watch them

I would bet the resident Coventry fan hating troll dadgad as an example voted yes. He's never been to the Ricoh.
I am sure i read on here you get free tickets, no better than dadgad really

Users who are viewing this thread