Coventry United Ladies (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Its sad to hear that about the ladies team, especially as we don't have a ccfc ladies anymore. You've got to wonder why they turned pro if they had no chance of being able to fund it.

On a side note, shouldn't Cov United be challenging to get into the fight into the football league by now? I'm sure that was the prediction of those pushing the phoenix club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Think it will be a while before they even overtake Bedworth United.

Brighton Sky Blue

Its sad to hear that about the ladies team, especially as we don't have a ccfc ladies anymore. You've got to wonder why they turned pro if they had no chance of being able to fund it.

On a side note, shouldn't Cov United be challenging to get into the fight into the football league by now? I'm sure that was the prediction of those pushing the phoenix club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Maybe they’ll be rebranded as ‘Wasps Football’

Nick

Administrator
Surely the kids teams can still carry on like any other community type club? Subs, volunteers etc?

shepardo01

Surely the kids teams can still carry on like any other community type club? Subs, volunteers etc?
Yes, all junior clubs should be self sufficient, paying subs etc covers cost of refs/training etc etc....
Haven't read article, but no junior section should be in danger due to a senior section disappearing. Boys or girls.

duffer

A bit more here. Hope it comes off for the players' sake, but I worry that long term it's still dependent on external funding rather than self-sustaining...

Nick

Administrator
Jeez, so he is going to throw 250k in for what?

That's a stupid amount of money.

Terry Gibson's perm

He must have a lot of money burning a hole in his pocket, I can’t see how you can ever do well out of buying a women’s team they are just don’t get the fans.

Grendel

He must have a lot of money burning a hole in his pocket, I can’t see how you can ever do well out of buying a women’s team they are just don’t get the fans.

His company is a sponsor at Wolves. He is an energy broker from what I can see - bit odd really

duffer

So after no more than 30 minutes research, I've got a bad feeling about this.

I had a quick look through Mr Taylor's records on Companies House and I can't find anything that suggests any of his businesses would have these kinds of funds available.

I can however see that he took out a loan for 50k to keep things running through Covid. This doesn't feel like the kind of chap who could afford to suddenly chuck 250k at Cov United Ladies.

I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but at CCFC we've been here before with dreamers and chancers.

Nick

Administrator
So after no more than 30 minutes research, I've got a bad feeling about this.

I had a quick look through Mr Taylor's records on Companies House and I can't find anything that suggests any of his businesses would have these kinds of funds available.

I can however see that he took out a loan for 50k to keep things running through Covid. This doesn't feel like the kind of chap who could afford to suddenly chuck 250k at Cov United Ladies.

I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but at CCFC we've been here before with dreamers and chancers.

Get him on cwr sharpish.

chiefdave

Are the players full time professionals? If so, player wages could easily be over 300k a year alone.
Looks like they play 22 games a season, so that's 11 home games plus sponsorship to cover the cost of running the team.

Can't find attendance figures but it seems as though that league celebrates a crowd of 500 as a huge achievement and looking from the match photos on line I would be surprised if their attendances are in 3 figures. How much are tickets? How can you have wage costs that high given how much the total ticketing revenue is?

Just don't see how the numbers stack up.

Skybluesince82

Being in the women’s championship it’s part of the FA licence that you have to have a certain number of players on contract (not all), but the real cost comes with the back room staff.

You have to have a full time general manager, admin, media/ marketing, physio/ sports therapist, goalkeeper coach, head coach, assistant, doctor on match days to name a few. They’ll all be paid, plus facilities of a certain standard which also don’t come cheap.

The requirements that the FA put on clubs to play in the championship or WSL are great from a professionalism perspective, but there simply isn’t the income that makes it self-sustaining. Ticket sales 500 per game (maximum, and that’s probably being generous), sponsorship wouldn’t attract much income and there’s a token grant from the FA. The whole structure of women’s football is unfortunately build on very shaky foundations.

Frostie

Being in the women’s championship it’s part of the FA licence that you have to have a certain number of players on contract (not all), but the real cost comes with the back room staff.

You have to have a full time general manager, admin, media/ marketing, physio/ sports therapist, goalkeeper coach, head coach, assistant, doctor on match days to name a few. They’ll all be paid, plus facilities of a certain standard which also don’t come cheap.

The requirements that the FA put on clubs to play in the championship or WSL are great from a professionalism perspective, but there simply isn’t the income that makes it self-sustaining. Ticket sales 500 per game (maximum, and that’s probably being generous), sponsorship wouldn’t attract much income and there’s a token grant from the FA. The whole structure of women’s football is unfortunately build on very shaky foundations.

Is it true that the majority of the women's teams are subsidised by their male counterparts just to keep them ticking over?

David O'Day

Is it true that the majority of the women's teams are subsidised by their male counterparts just to keep them ticking over?
Yes, on that BBC show about Sullivans son at West Ham WFC they talk about this.

Kneeza

Are the players full time professionals? If so, player wages could easily be over 300k a year alone.
Playing at a rented BPA in front of a few hundred fans? Ludicrous.
Owners of the ground, Cov Rugby struggle there at the moment with 2k+ in plus lots of hospitality etc.
Again, ludicrous.

Skybluesince82

Yes it is. That’s why the likes of Notts County, Lincoln City, Doncaster Belles - all who had strong women’s teams in the 90s, are no longer in existence.
It’s all about subsidy from men’s teams. in the last few years you’ve have Man Utd, Spurs, Aston Villa, Leicester all promoted from the championship after throwing money at it. It’s the only way they can survive in the long-term. What would be interesting is whether investment would be cut if any of those men’s teams were ever relegated from the PL and finances became much tighter.

duffer

Just in the spirit of full disclosure, I did a bit more research last night, and I can see that one of the companies associated with the proposed new benefactor had a six digit turnover in its last accounts.

However, it still doesn't look like the kind of business that could just throw 250k at a club; that would wipe out most if not all of the disclosed net profit.

Again, I hope I'm reading it wrong. Whether it's sustainable in the long term or not, I wouldn't want to see anyone suddenly out of a job.

There are some big questions around how the current owners have managed all this, that's for sure!

Bugsy

CJ_covblaze

Users who are viewing this thread