Coventry United - is it time to get behind them? (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

You haven't seen us play for years but have been a supporter all of your life?

I always thought that a supporter goes to games and supports their club and a fan follows how they are doing. I may have learned something new today.

Eh? Surely fan/supporter is the same thing. There are some on here live in the States or Australia and have never seen us play but they can legitimately call themselves just as much a fan/supporter as the rest of us, can't they?

Then again you've used the term Super Supporter for those who attend Sixfields so you obvipusly like to pigeonhole people.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RoboCCFC90

For anyone who is interested Cov United won 2-1 away from home today, one particular Tweet was ended with a distasteful "PUCU"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccfc92

Eh? Surely fan/supporter is the same thing. There are some on here live in the States or Australia and have never seen us play but they can legitimately call themselves just as much a fan/supporter as the rest of us, can't they?

Then again you've used the term Super Supporter for those who attend Sixfields so you obvipusly like to pigeonhole people.

so those that live in china, and never have been to Manchester, but support Man U are "fans/supporters" in your opinion?

RoboCCFC90

I totally agree..

Play Up Sky Blues

Or how about for those Dutch posters, spelen tot hemelblauw!

Or for the fans who follow City in Azerbaijan, göy blues qədər oynamaq!

Maybe for German supporters of the Club, spielen bis Himmelblau!

And not forgetting the Chinese supporters of our great Club, 玩了藍色的天空!!

covmark

I look out for scores in every game on a matchday, am I therefore a fan of every club?

If you want to be a fan of every club that's up to you my friend. It's a ridiculous argument, why should people give a shite, all this labelling of people is pretty pathetic.

RoboCCFC90

If you want to be a fan of every club that's up to you my friend. It's a ridiculous argument, why should people give a shite, all this labelling of people is pretty pathetic.

all dieses Gerede von treuen Anhängern ist wirklich ein Unsinn, wenn Sie ein Fan von einem Verein sind, sind Sie also ein Fan, haben wir nicht alle über diese eine Million Mal gewesen?

ccfc92

I agree, but what I can't agree with is this "oh, I support (premier league team)"

I was in a queue back from Paris last night, and chatted football with one guy in the queue who lived in London, but was foreign and supported Arsenal. So I asked have you been to the emirates, and he said no, not once. maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the support there?

RoboCCFC90

I agree, but what I can't agree with is this "oh, I support (premier league team)"

I was in a queue back from Paris last night, and chatted football with one guy in the queue who lived in London, but was foreign and supported Arsenal. So I asked have you been to the emirates, and he said no, not once. maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the support there?

Could he have been French? I could understand his appeal of supporting Arsenal if that was the case..

RoboCCFC90

Agreed, but no. Let's just say between you and me, he could have been from Foleshill ;)

Oh so that narrows the choice down to about 25 different nationalities :(

covmark

It's a fair point, believe me I work with plenty of plastic fans, it just makes it all the sweeter when they lose :)
All the Liverpool fans that have suddenly come out of the woodwork is highly amusing also.

covmark

all dieses Gerede von treuen Anhängern ist wirklich ein Unsinn, wenn Sie ein Fan von einem Verein sind, sind Sie also ein Fan, haben wir nicht alle über diese eine Million Mal gewesen?

Totally agree :)

ccfc92

It's a fair point, believe me I work with plenty of plastic fans, it just makes it all the sweeter when they lose :)
All the Liverpool fans that have suddenly come out of the woodwork is highly amusing also.

Likewise, I have someone at work who's proper "Landan Cockney" and supports Liverpool :facepalm::confused: on another note, Liverpool deserve the title this season :)

covmark

Likewise, I have someone at work who's proper "Landan Cockney" and supports Liverpool :facepalm::confused: on another note, Liverpool deserve the title this season :)

Agreed, and with plenty of English talent. I love having false hope for an upcoming world cup.

Astute

Super supporter? :D Go on Torch show everyone where I said that. Have used super fan a couple of times when the ones that go have come out with shite.

So I am wrong to think that a supporter is someone who supports a club in some way and not just say they follow a club? Maybe I don't know the meaning of the word support. And fan is just something that keeps you cool when you are hot.

Sterling Archer

Makes our support over the last 20-30 year slightly embarrassing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I agree with this. I'm not mentioning any posters on here (as I only know some of you lot by your pseudonyms on this here forum) but know plenty of Coventry fans that have seen the recent off the field shenanigans as a convenient excuse for their apathy towards "their" club.

After the last decade we've had though (purely to do with on the field matters) is it any surprise? Conversely, even in good spells in the Prem were we really getting an acceptable 'avg attendance : city population' ratio?

Astute

I agree with this. I'm not mentioning any posters on here (as I only know some of you lot by your pseudonyms on this here forum) but know plenty of Coventry fans that have seen the recent off the field shenanigans as a convenient excuse for their apathy towards "their" club.

After the last decade we've had though (purely to do with on the field matters) is it any surprise? Conversely, even in good spells in the Prem were we really getting an acceptable 'avg attendance : city population' ratio?

I hope that you include the few that have always stuck up for SISU but don't go to Northampton.

Why not name names? Only fair after making a comment like that.

mds

Fan/supporter whatever, i have payed my dues to this club home and away to hundreds of games over the decades, you know im sure some of the younger folks on here that go regulrly will get to a point where they have to prioritise, maybe finances are tight or whatever the reason one day may come when you cant or dont go long term, you will have your reasons, when you stop paying to watch does that suddenly only make you a fan and not a supporter? Im honest about it, hey shit happens, if im now only a fan in some folks eyes I wont sweat it.

At the end of the day there is no way i would call myself a fan, supporter or whatever and then say I wish my team to lose, it doesnt make sense to me whatsover, so the wish is granted we lose from now to end of the season, yep another relegation, that is what is being wished for, i guess that is the real supporter for you, you know ive been to a few games but hate the owners and wish we would lose, absolute bollox!

Sterling Archer

I hope that you include the few that have always stuck up for SISU but don't go to Northampton.

Why not name names? Only fair after making a comment like that.

Ermmmm, because I don't think it's fair for me to name real life names on an Internet forum where they probably don't even post on here.

I also think it would be really strange if I were to do so.

shy_tall_knight

Coventry united - no, united name plus play in red. Sphinx are a more established club, play in sky blue, have a youth team and full club structure. The 5 seasons required to get them promoted into the league is surely an option rather than going from court case to court case

Skyblueweeman

Ha ha ha...just checked into this thread for the first time....I love the 'What makes you a Fan/Support' or 'I'm a better supporter than you' debates.

I love them....classic forum debate.

***sits back, opens a tub of popcorn, puts feet up, looks on with intrigue***

Skyblueweeman

I had a Twitter exchange with whoever runs the Cov Utd Twitter page last night. They're up to 1,000 followers now...for a club of such 'small' stature, that's pretty good going.

torchomatic

If people are going to support someone else, why not Sphinx? They were here first, weren't they? United are obviously a protest team milking it for all their worth.

J

Jack Griffin

The reason Cov Utd are the horse to back is because they were formed to rise up the leagues, the historical local teams like Copeswood & Sphinx are what they are & are going nowhere in particular because they haven't got a group of ambitious local businessmen funding them.

Also didn’t SISU try to exploit a business opportunities when they took over CCFC.. what is the difference between that and with Cov Utd, it is all business.

It remains to be seen how much backing the Cov Utd owners will put in.. at present they're only in tier 12 of the FL and it doesn't cost them a lot, to take the team all the way to the Conference will need a proper ground and attendances of 1500 at least, all of which means serious investment & commitment.

Last edited by a moderator:

fernandopartridge

The reason Cov Utd are the horse to back is because they were formed to rise up the leagues, the historical local teams like Copeswood & Sphinx are what they are & are going nowhere in particular because they haven't got a group of ambitious local businessmen funding them.

Also didn’t SISU try to exploit a business opportunities when they took over CCFC.. what is the difference between that and with Cov Utd, it is all business.

It remains to be seen how much backing the Cov Utd owners will put in.. at present they're only in tier 12 of the FL and it doesn't cost them a lot, to take the team all the way to the Conference will need a proper ground and attendances of 1500 at least, all of which means serious investment & commitment.

Nothing like grass roots football, getting away from this silly idea that football is primarily the pursuit of profit.

Users who are viewing this thread