Coventry United - is it time to get behind them? (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

You need to get a grip sweetheart - and some balls.

It might be in your nature to bend over and take it from faceless men in suits - but it isn't in mine.

He remarked, whilst lacking the 'balls' to stick with a team and being seduced by the suits behind a new one.

@richh87

He remarked, whilst lacking the 'balls' to stick with a team and being seduced by the suits behind a new one.

Oh I ssseeee. So in your eyes the ones with the most balls are probably the ones with Sixfields season tickets - sticking by the team no matter what (whilst lining SISU's pockets and funding the Northampton nightmare).

Wonderful.

Listen - if the JR goes the Council's way and rids us of SISU then fantastic. I only asked a question at the start of the thread - even added that Coventry United seem to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I want CCFC back in Coventry right away. My fear is that numerous JR appeals drag this out for years and kill the fan base off and CCFC off completely.

Surely forming a new CCFC would be preferable to that.

Let's see how the JR goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skybluelee

Not for me.

A proper pheonix side incorporating as much of CCFCs heritage as possible (club colours, badge, songs) - absolutely.

A team playing in red called United - I couldn't be less interested.

ajsccfc

Oh I ssseeee. So in your eyes the ones with the most balls are probably the ones with Sixfields season tickets - sticking by the team no matter what (whilst lining SISU's pockets and funding the Northampton nightmare).

Wonderful.

If you're going to put (wrong) words in my mouth, at least have the conviction to leave out 'probably', come on.

Incidentally, I don't have a sliding scale on who has the most balls because both that and talk of being bent over or spineless or whatever the current buzzwords are is meaningless, especially when you've got one eye on the exit.

RoboCCFC90

I did see 60 minutes of a Cov United game back in December but that was after I had attended a City U18 fixture, they seemed to play alright on the day, but I don't think I could ever support them, my undivided and loyal support will always remain to Coventry City FC.

hill83

It might be in your nature to bend over and take it from faceless men in suits - but it isn't in mine.

Ironic. 'Sweetheart'

Grendel

Love it when you come in here with your words of wisdom.

As for your delightful image of bending o we and taking it from men in suits - I think you'll find many on here enjoy the experience - as long as its a council suit member or an ACL employee.

Sba180

Would be sphinx for me. Why dont we start packing sphinx drive on matchday, try and get them into the league?

Otis

Not for me.

A proper pheonix side incorporating as much of CCFCs heritage as possible (club colours, badge, songs) - absolutely.

A team playing in red called United - I couldn't be less interested.

Don't you think they missed a bit of a trick here perhaps. Had they formed the club with the intent that City may not return for many years and they were there to be the alternative and played in City colours and had a name much more in alignment with the common City man's thinking and wishes, they'd be maybe getting a fair bit more support from Sky Blue fans right now.

Coventry United will always be no go for so many people on a number of levels.

NorthernWisdom

Don't you think they missed a bit of a trick here perhaps. Had they formed the club with the intent that City may not return for many years and they were there to be the alternative and played in City colours and had a name much more in alignment with the common City man's thinking and wishes, they'd be maybe getting a fair bit more support form Sky Blue fans right now.

Coventry United will always be no go for so many people on a number of levels.

Nope.

Italways smacks on trying to piggy back on others' misery, and that ain't for me.

Otis

Nope.

Italways smacks on trying to piggy back on others' misery, and that ain't for me.

Not for everyone NW and probably not for me, but I don't really get their point. Not sure exactlhy what they are trying to be. It's like they are set up as the alternative but then at the same time they're not.

NorthernWisdom

Not for everyone NW and probably not for me, but I don't really get their point. Not sure exactlhy what they are trying to be. It's like they are set up as the alternative but then at the same time they're not.

Indeed, and that smacks of abject cynicism.

Nowt wrong with setting up a football club if you fancy it, but just do it on your own merits. Nowt wrong with people going to watch a football club if they fancy it.

But there's too much trying to link it to CCFC which I find a bit... crass tbh.

Covkid1968#

Personally happy to give them support....as I support every club representing my city....

Hobo

Of course we should get behind them and Coventry Sphinx......they have never been rivals have they? Bedworth, Nuneaton, Rugby, Leamington...wish them all success.

mds

They are local teams, would only want them to do well, but the original question time to get behind Utd, no!
CCFC or none for me!

Sterling Archer

It's kind of baffling how it almost seems like a small minority of posters are willing the club to die in order to support a new Phoenix club.

I find it very odd and unsettling.

I hate the "smooshiness" of what I'm about to say but you support your club through thick and thin and don't jump ship at the first sign of a better offer.

Owners, managers, players, kits, tea ladies etc, they all come and go but fans stay throughout their entire lifetime.

If Coventry City (and it won't happen, those who think otherwise love the drama and the division it creates on here) did cease to exist, then that's football support done for me, I'd merely take a passing interest as a football enthusiast.

skybluetony176

It's kind of baffling how it almost seems like a minority of posters are willing the club to die in order to support a new Phoenix club.

I find it very odd and unsettling.

I hate the "smooshiness" of what I'm about to say but you support your club through thick and thin and don't jump ship at the first sign of a better offer.

Owners, managers, players, kits, tea ladies etc, they all come and go but fans stay throughout their entire lifetime.

If Coventry City (and it won't happen, those who think otherwise love the drama and the division it creates on here) did cease to exist, then that's football support done for me, I'd merely take a passing interest as a football enthusiast.

I don't think they're willing the club to die. It's more like they believe it's already as good as dead.

I'll support ccfc till the end. What I do when/if it does die? I won't know for sure until this happens.

ecky

They play in Red.

I will shoot my testicles off before I am supporting someone in Red.

If I were to support a team based in Coventry it would be sphinx. Or an AFC Coventry. (IF CCFC ceased to exist or moved permanently)

I take it your a good shot?

torchomatic

I don't think they're willing the club to die. It's more like they believe it's already as good as dead.

I'll support ccfc till the end. What I do when/if it does die? I won't know for sure until this happens.

Disagree. I certainly do think some people on here are most definitely "willing" just that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Otis

I think 'as good as dead' is an wildly overly exaggerated statment to be honest.

Slowly dying would be a lot more accurate. Would say the club is anything but dead at the moment. We have fans ready to come back to the club at a moment's notice, still have a competitive team and a really good manager and while the Ricoh remains here and the fans want the club home, there is always hope.

lordsummerisle

Oi! - I have nothing to do with Coventry United. Everyone knows I've been posting here for years.

I'm heavily anti SISU - and yes, I would like nothing more than to kick them in the nuts and see reforming a supporter owned CCFC where nobody can do this to us again as a solution.

The best way would be for SISU to piss off and the supporters to acquire a share of the club thereafter.

One thing is obvious - without supporters SISU have no leverage. Especially if we'd moved on.

Hard to take from one if the biggest Sisu supporters before his reinvention.

shmmeee

Hard to take from one if the biggest Sisu supporters before his reinvention.

Can we not do this? It's silly in politics and it's even sillier here. We want people to change their mind upon receiving new information. That's a good thing, not a stick to beat people with.

On topic: I'll chip in as I guess I'm one of those who people think want to see the club "die".

If you mean the liquidation of the company holding the GS, then that happened last summer. The "club" is not a legal construct, it's a collection of people with a shared interest. Personally I want a club around for a long time, I want to be taking my grandkids to see the team I grew up with. Sisu selling up and leaving the ridiculous debt intact will only stave off the "death" of the legal construct for a few years. Maybe we'll get promoted, but with the debt to service we'll never be competitive and eventually will die a slow death as we drop down the leagues.

I'd much rather the club is liquidated, we make the case to the FA/FL that it's their poor management of the situation that lead to it's demise by allowing the GS transfer, take a fairly large hit (say a relegation and -20 points) and move on as a fan owned club (ideally) or with new owners starting from scratch (more likely).

To be clear, I don't support AFC/Sphinx/United or any phoenix club while the move is still temporary and I hold out hope that we will return to Cov. But at some point, if we're not back in Coventry then they club has indeed "died" and to be honest I'd probably just give up football altogether.

lordsummerisle

Can we not do this? It's silly in politics and it's even sillier here. We want people to change their mind upon receiving new information. That's a good thing, not a stick to beat people with.

The thing is, he's one of those, and there were quite a few of them, who were so evangelical about Sisu that if you didn't support SISU you must be a Leicester fan, now it's if you support the club you must support Sisu, so always pimping going to support somebody else.

Everything being 100% good one minute, then 100% bad for Sisu the next isn't "changing their mind upon receiving new information".

It's still being closed to receiving any information, or even considering it if it opposes the view they now hold.

It's the mentality of the evangelical ex-smoker.

shmmeee

The thing is, he's one of those, and there were quite a few of them, who were so evangelical about Sisu that if you didn't support SISU you must be a Leicester fan, now it's if you support the club you must support Sisu, so always pimping going to support somebody else.

Everything being 100% good one minute, then 100% bad for Sisu the next isn't "changing their mind upon receiving new information".

It's still being closed to receiving any information, or even considering it if it opposes the view they now hold.

Maybe I'm bias as a view changer, but I think a lot of people did a 180 in their views when Sisu showed their disregard for the fans over the last 12 months.

ajsccfc

Changing your mind or having near enough any view is fine, it's the whole 'if you don't agree with me you're the problem and it's your fault' kind of thing infesting this place that drags it down.

shmmeee

Changing your mind or having near enough any view is fine, it's the whole 'if you don't agree with me you're the problem and it's your fault' kind of thing infesting this place that drags it down.

Not sure I've ever seen that to be honest, outside of the Sixfields boycott, which is understandable as it requires collective action to be useful.

lordsummerisle

That's what i have a problem with, and often it's the same people who have argued that from both sides of the fence.

@richh87

On topic: I'll chip in as I guess I'm one of those who people think want to see the club "die".

If you mean the liquidation of the company holding the GS, then that happened last summer. The "club" is not a legal construct, it's a collection of people with a shared interest. Personally I want a club around for a long time, I want to be taking my grandkids to see the team I grew up with. Sisu selling up and leaving the ridiculous debt intact will only stave off the "death" of the legal construct for a few years. Maybe we'll get promoted, but with the debt to service we'll never be competitive and eventually will die a slow death as we drop down the leagues.

I'd much rather the club is liquidated, we make the case to the FA/FL that it's their poor management of the situation that lead to it's demise by allowing the GS transfer, take a fairly large hit (say a relegation and -20 points) and move on as a fan owned club (ideally) or with new owners starting from scratch (more likely).

To be clear, I don't support AFC/Sphinx/United or any phoenix club while the move is still temporary and I hold out hope that we will return to Cov. But at some point, if we're not back in Coventry then they club has indeed "died" and to be honest I'd probably just give up football altogether.

Great post

@richh87

That's utter bullshit - back it up with quotes.

As the vast majority did, I welcomed being rescued when half an hour from liquidation - and was willing to give SISU my support as our new owners (of whom we knew nothing about).

That's normal. What you did (and do with absolutely everything) is to give nobody your support for fear of one day being wrong.

There is no shame in changing opinion as new information becomes available.

lordsummerisle

That's utter bullshit - back it up with quotes.

As the vast majority did, I welcomed being rescued when half an hour from liquidation - and was willing to give SISU my support as our new owners (of whom we knew nothing about).

That's normal. What you did (and do with absolutely everything) is to give nobody your support for fear of one day being wrong.

There is no shame in changing opinion as new information becomes available.

Do you really want me to dig up quotes? What was your name before you became an Italian General again?

We did know things about Sisu, some of us posted those things, some chose to ignore them or say that they were exactly the sort of hard-hiotting businesspeople we needed to run the club.

Anyway, if you did know nothing about them, why would you give them their full support?

Make any big donations to that mob yesterday did you?

Whilst I never liked, trusted, or agreed with many, if not most of the decisions made by Sisu/Ranson I never stopped supporting the team.

Anyway, fuck off and go and support Coventry United or whoever, sure they will welcome youir wholehearted support until you don't like something they do, then you can fuck off to another team

Users who are viewing this thread