Coventry town centre (non football related) (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

even the thread says "non football related"

:D

The Reverend Skyblue

Coventry is no worse or better than any city in this country. Admittedly there is nicer shopping areas. Even Leamington and Solihull offers better shops.
Coventry is changing, but at a slow pace. The two shopping developments are incredibly important, especially the one close to the station as around there is shabby. Considering the station is where most people arrive from, it's not a good start.

Birmingham is worse. Although the shopping areas are superb, they are too busy.

Stoke-on-trent is worse than Coventry too.

I did like Norwich and York on previous visits. The centres are excellent for shopping and leisure.

I love Norwich,brilliant shopping and has so much character.It has the lanes an area of cobbled alleyways full of small independent shops plus two indoor new precincts. I have lived here for 18 months and go to Norwich a lot and always enjoy the outings and the people are friendly,we'll the ones I have met.

One last point why is this thread not in the off topic thread,as I feel a little gay talking about shopping in a supposed manly thread

runner

There's a lot worse than Coventry, Barnsley a few weeks back, very hospitable, but truly awful place ... mind you a night out of beer and food in wetherspoons, 4 pints and a pie for a £10, it's better value for money than Cov !

H

Huckerby

I love Norwich,brilliant shopping and has so much character.It has the lanes an area of cobbled alleyways full of small independent shops plus two indoor new precincts. I have lived here for 18 months and go to Norwich a lot and always enjoy the outings and the people are friendly,we'll the ones I have met.

One last point why is this thread not in the off topic thread,as I feel a little gay talking about shopping in a supposed manly thread

Not quite sure what it has to do with sexuality....but yeah my bad for posting in the wrong forum i guess

theferret

Sorry mate but disagree with that i'm afraid. Part of the area I cover for work is Warwickshire and a lot of the people I come across are stuck up their own arseholes who think that people from Cov are shit on their shoe, wouldn't want to be associated with them at all. I'm quite happy with Cov to be honest, it's got bags of history and if people don't like the concrete jungle then there are other nicer things to look at. When people ask me where i'm from I say Coventry and don't feel the need to add Warwickshire on the end. Milton Keynes, now that place is middle of the road. Besides, there is not many other places who can boast they have a cathedral to spare! The only downside to Coventry for me is that it couldn't be any further from the fooking sea, which is a pain in the arse when I want to go surfing (yes Longboy, I'll even mention it on here!)

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. What some people think about Coventry is irrelevant. I know people from rural Leicestershire who think Leicester itself is a hole, but Leicester is still the regional centre and is better off for it. And besides, I know a lot of people from Warwickshire towns who do identify with Coventry and, for example, see the football team as Warwickshire's team much in the same way the people of Leicestershire would automatically identify with Leicester City.

Coventry is part of an economic sub-region that stretches from Nuneaton in the north to Warwick in the south (and it is good that this has been recognised with the NUCKLE rail link), and all the towns within that region depend on Coventry and the prosperity it generates (just look at the traffic into Coventry on all routes on any given morning as people commute to work).

Coventry needs to make more of its place as the regional centre (because economically it is), but Coventry does lose out to its satellite towns in so many ways, and that decentralisation continues (losing our law courts to Leamington is another recent example of that). It is vital, absolutely vital, that if Coventry is to thrive and prosper it must make more of its place as the beating heart of this sub-region, especially as we continue to edge away from Birmingham and the hugely damaging association with the 'West Midlands'.

Grendel

Despite all this Nottingham is listed as one of the poorest Cities in England along with Leicester whilst Coventry doesn't make the list !

Most people associate cities with its centre. I've lived in Nottingham and it has significant areas of deprivation but has a large and thriving centre which hosts numerous retail outlets and a thriving nightlife.

Leicester and Birmingham councils have worked tirelessly to improve its centres and they are streets ahead of Coventry's. By contrast Coventry has see little attempt by its council at serious redevelopment. It took years to even attract a coffee chain here. There are no exclusive outlets or superior large stores. I had the misfortune to go the other week and meandered down to the arcade area and up to the canopy area where hmv once sat. Jesus, its a hell hole of pound shops, pawn brokers and general tat.

Solihull was a drab 60's precinct before touchwood.

You need inspiration, bravery and vision from your council. When iron lung Mucas croaked that Coventry is sleeping giant you wouldn't know wether to laugh or cry.

The city centre is an embarrassment and a disgrace.

RedSalmon

Most people associate cities with its centre. I've lived in Nottingham and it has significant areas of deprivation but has a large and thriving centre which hosts numerous retail outlets and a thriving nightlife.

Leicester and Birmingham councils have worked tirelessly to improve its centres and they are streets ahead of Coventry's. By contrast Coventry has see little attempt by its council at serious redevelopment. It took years to even attract a coffee chain here. There are no exclusive outlets or superior large stores. I had the misfortune to go the other week and meandered down to the arcade area and up to the canopy area where hmv once sat. Jesus, its a hell hole of pound shops, pawn brokers and general tat.

Solihull was a drab 60's precinct before touchwood.

You need inspiration, bravery and vision from your council. When iron lung Mucas croaked that Coventry is sleeping giant you wouldn't know wether to laugh or cry.

The city centre is an embarrassment and a disgrace.

Agree with a lot of this. Solihull (Touchwood) is light years ahead of anything in Coventry. Somehow Leamington has mamnaged to maintain a charm and individuality that attracts shoppers.

How has Coventry fallen so far behind?

wingy

Agree with a lot of this. Solihull (Touchwood) is light years ahead of anything in Coventry. Somehow Leamington has mamnaged to maintain a charm and individuality that attracts shoppers.

How has Coventry fallen so far behind?

Losing half the traditional architecture can't help,which suggests they messed up the re-build with Corbussiere Style replacements ,they may look great in a spacious sunny Climate ,but in the grey of an urban City such as ours or Sheffields,just leave the Impression you're In Prison.

edgy

Sell the Ricoh and plough the proceeds into the city centre?

On topic, the only reason I ever visit the city centre is for Ikea. The rest of it is shite and nothing that you can't find in surrounding towns.

ccfcway

On topic, the only reason I ever visit the city centre is for Ikea. The rest of it is shite and nothing that you can't find in surrounding towns.

On topic on a thread that's not football related on a football forum :D

RedSalmon

Losing half the traditional architecture can't help,which suggests they messed up the re-build with Corbussiere Style replacements ,they may look great in a spacious sunny Climate ,but in the grey of an urban City such as ours or Sheffields,just leave the Impression you're In Prison.

Agree about losing half the architecture. My late father aways said that the council did more damage to Coventry than the German Air Force ever managed to do.
Apologies to anyone who lost relatives during the Coventry air raids.

H

Huckerby

On topic on a thread that's not football related on a football forum :D

does that upset you mate? happens to be a place where there are a lot of coventrians...doesn't all have to be about SISU and the council which is where every single thread ends up anyway

There are plans to take the roof off Cathedral Lanes and turn it in to an Arcadian (Birmingham) style food. drink units...and opening the view again to the cathedral - with the front units having outside areas onto Broadgate.

asb

There are plans to take the roof off Cathedral Lanes and turn it in to an Arcadian (Birmingham) style food. drink units...and opening the view again to the cathedral - with the front units having outside areas onto Broadgate.

Never liked Cathedral Lanes. I remember the view before it was built and much preferred seeing the Cathedral rather then just more shops. Putting it there was like boarding up one of the few treasures of the city centre.

Ashdown1

Sell the Ricoh and plough the proceeds into the city centre?

I suggest you go on a more cultural tour, rather than just for shopping. There is a wealth of beautiful old buildings including the Guild Hall, Trinity Church etc. Have a pint in any of the Whitefriars, Inspire or The old Windmill and you get a real feel for what was once around or visit the Motor museum and the Herbert art gallery, both of which are free entry. Cov has some cracking little parts you just have to look beyond your nose.

Moff

The only downside to Coventry for me is that it couldn't be any further from the fooking sea, which is a pain in the arse when I want to go surfing (yes Longboy, I'll even mention it on here!)

Amen to that. I love my home city, even though I sadly live down the road near Rugby which has a shocking town centre, but just wish we were nearer to the sea.

Moff

Agree about losing half the architecture. My late father aways said that the council did more damage to Coventry than the German Air Force ever managed to do.
Apologies to anyone who lost relatives during the Coventry air raids.

Sadly its true, the Luftwaffe did a lot of damage but what was left was pretty much bulldozed by the Council to create their iconic new vision...made of concrete.
I did a study on it years ago for Uni, and it was truly sad waht we lost but at the time it was visionary...its just so sad seeing how that was so sadly wrong.

In support of the City Centre I took my kids around the old Cathedral, Bailey Lane, and all the local roads around the Cathedral at Christmas, and then down to the excavated St Marys Cathedral site, and they loved it. Coventry has some brilliant sites and some fantastic history, it just seems to need to be marketed and advertised better.

ajsccfc

They should make the most of the places that Moff and Ashdown mention, and the idea posted earlier about opening Cathedral Lanes up more would be a positive step. I like how Broadgate is more of an open space again compared to it previously being a busy road and an ugly canopy, but the Cathedral Lanes building still sits there in the way.

Hobo

Even in the early sixties Coventry had more timber frame buildings than York and Chester. I believe a lot of the components are still in storage. Spon Street contains some of the rebuilt examples. Originally their was going to be a larger Medieval Qtr built around Spon Street.

Coventry seems to miss out on a lot of funding to Birmingham.

Davs

does that upset you mate? happens to be a place where there are a lot of coventrians...doesn't all have to be about SISU and the council which is where every single thread ends up anyway

What's Nottingham like to live in?

I am moving there in June, and the only info I can get is from my Mum who left when she was 20. She's 87 now.

Her total help is "You must go to goose fair"

Samo

Amen to that. I love my home city, even though I sadly live down the road near Rugby which has a shocking town centre, but just wish we were nearer to the sea.

The UK is a very small country, you're never far from the sea! I guess what you surfer types are syaing is... It's a bit of a trek to Cornwall!

J

Jack Griffin

Cathedral Lanes is an appalling eyesore, OK its better than the temporary shops that were there many years ago, but obscures the cathedral.

The original architects vision for a clear view from the bottom of the precinct to the old cathedral spire got fucked up many moons ago by allowing shops and stupid elevators to be built in the way..
precinctview1945.jpg

D

Deleted member 4439

Cathedral Lanes is an appalling eyesore, OK its better than the temporary shops that were there many years ago, but obscures the cathedral.

The original architects vision for a clear view from the bottom of the precinct to the old cathedral spire got fucked up many moons ago by allowing shops and stupid elevators to be built in the way..

How can it be that Cathedral Lanes was built without public support? (Probably an obvious answer that would invite libel).

As for that elevator, there are no words.

However, good to see that successive Labour councils have kept with the original vision by ensuring that no buildings are obscured by trees.

Btw, is that an artist's impression of a young Jimmy Saville in the foreground on the right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty Trombone

How can it be that Cathedral Lanes was built without public support? (Probably an obvious answer that would invite libel).

As for that elevator, there are no words.

However, good to see that successive Labour councils have kept with the original vision by ensuring that no buildings are obscured by trees.

Btw, is that an artist's impression of a young Jimmy Saville in the foreground on the right?

Which successive Labour Councils?

Party in control Years
Labour 1973 - 1978
Conservative 1978 - 1979
Labour 1979 - 2003
No overall control 2003 - 2006
Conservative 2006 - 2008
No overall control 2008 - 2010
Labour 2010–present

D

Deleted member 4439

Which successive Labour Councils?

Party in control Years
Labour 1973 - 1978
Conservative 1978 - 1979
Labour 1979 - 2003
No overall control 2003 - 2006
Conservative 2006 - 2008
No overall control 2008 - 2010
Labour 2010–present

I stand corrected: successive labour councils over the 30 years up to the turn of the century, excepting the year when fascism was in vogue.

Rusty Trombone

I stand corrected: successive labour councils over the 30 years up to the turn of the century, excepting the year when fascism was in vogue.

Haha, and what a good year it was, Coventry at its best. If I had £1 for every time I heard about the glory year of 78/79. Presumably you are happy with every Council decision taken in the years 2003 to 2010?

D

Deleted member 4439

Presumably you are happy with every Council decision taken in the years 2003 to 2010?

I think by the time we'd got to the millemium everyone had given up and moved to either Kenilworth, Leamington or Solihull, so it's irrelevant really.

RedSalmon

precinctview1945.jpg

Could not agree more. An unobscured view along the pecinct to the Cathedral would be magnificent. Who on earth ever thought it would be a good idea to obscure the view of the Cathedral by sticking a tacky bulding like Cathedral Lanes in the way? Someone should be held responsible for that calamity of a decission!!!

Seem to remember that the elavetor/escalator that goes from the precinct was something to do with Virgin moving into the shop below. I could be wrong, but seem to recall them insisting that for them to open the store where they did they wanted the old water feature/fountain that was there removed and an escalator put in its place. Now look what we are left with!!

I think the whole precinct would look much better if all the stalls selling food etc were removed, and the whole area opened up for shoppers.

D

Deleted member 4439

Who on earth ever thought it would be a good idea to obscure the view of the Cathedral by sticking a tacky bulding like Cathedral Lanes in the way?

Presumably, the architects/building contractors and key individuals in the council when lunching out of a brown bag.

Users who are viewing this thread