Coventry Real Ale Pubs (1 Viewer)

1966_and_all-that

Hi all, Blackpool fan in peace.

Saturday's game will be my first time at Coventry's ground. I never made it to Highfield Road either, which was a shame. However, me, wife and dog are making a long weekend of it, staying in a cottage for 4 nights at Cubbington. We are also trying to do all of England's cathedrals so Saturday morning will start off with a tour of both (if, indeed, the old cathedral can be toured). A friend and fellow seasider will join me at that point (down for one night) and we intend to take in several of your central real ale pubs.

The 2022 CAMRA guide contains 6 CV1 pubs:
Earl of Mercia
Gatehouse Tavern
Golden Cross
Old Windmill
Town Crier
Town Wall Tavern

Also 2 CV5 pubs:
City Arms, Earlsdon
Broomfield Tavern, Spon End

And Bryatt's Brewhouse Bar, Foleshill.

It would be helpful if any of you could advise which of these are doable by foot before the match; bearing in mind that my wife will then be driving us up to the ground from the centre, via the A444. Thanks in advance

Finally, I do hope you manage to get your ground back after all of the Wasps shenanigans.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Byatt's is very close the Arena FYI

Coventry City centre is pretty compact so you could get around most of those, I personally wouldn't bother with Earl of Mercia, Flying Standard (both JDW) or the Town Crier (strange 80s built pub), the others are more interesting. You could do the Golden Cross (adjacent to the Cathedrals) and then walk across town to the Town Wall Tavern, Gatehouse and Old Windmill.

steveo1987

Hi 1966, I would highly recommend Byatts pre match, excellent choice of ales, Cider, Perry and lagers as well as a good bottled selection . We always use it as you can park for free and it's only a 15/20min walk . You will probably need to be in there for 2pm at the latest..cheers

Chip Batch

Definitely hops d’amor if you’re in town. They always have good stuff on keg and cask. Dhillons spire bar (for the location) and Twisted barrel for great beers brewed on site at Fargo if you’ve got chance to get up there. About a 15-20 minute walk from the town centre. Plenty of food choices up there too.

AOM

Broomfield and City Arms are a bit out of the way and you'd still need a 15ish minute taxi to the ground.
Byatts is really good - prefer their beer than Dhillons

The Greyhound Inn is another decent old pub, but in the opposite direction and about a 30 minute walk from the CBS Arena

1966_and_all-that

Broomfield and City Arms are a bit out of the way and you'd still need a 15ish minute taxi to the ground.
Byatts is really good - prefer their beer than Dhillons

The Greyhound Inn is another decent old pub, but in the opposite direction and about a 30 minute walk from the CBS Arena
Thanks,

Me and wife are planning to eat at the Greyhound after the match. It advertises itself as 'the most dog friendly pub in England.'

pusbccfc

Enjoy your trip to Coventry and remember if you want a cathedral, we've got one to spare.

Great_Expectations

Hops is the only proper micropub in Coventry centre. Beer Gonzo and Twisted Barrel are a go to for craft drinkers too, albeit the menu in the former can be a little too sour or strong ABV focussed.

Dhillons at the Spire is ok, but slightly disappointing choice considering it’s a brewery! Byatts beer is a nicer and their tap is only about 15 minutes from the ground.

Surprised by the number of votes for the Greyhound. It’s been my pre-match routine since we moved to the Arena and I only ever see a handful of Cov fans, if that!

GIMOC

Hi 1966, I would highly recommend Byatts pre match, excellent choice of ales, Cider, Perry and lagers as well as a good bottled selection . We always use it as you can park for free and it's only a 15/20min walk . You will probably need to be in there for 2pm at the latest..cheers

does it get busy before the game? never been before

Bugsy

Where's byatts? Do they only open match days

Lythalls Lane Industrial Estate,

Thursday4–9pm
Friday4–9pm
Saturday12–9pm
SundayClosed
MondayClosed
TuesdayClosed
WednesdayClosed

tskezz

Admittedly I've only been a couple of times but aside from its outside seating bit I don't really get the love the the Greyhound. It was just okay I thought. Certainly wouldn't be going out there if it wasn't a beer garden weather.

Robinshio

Admittedly I've only been a couple of times but aside from its outside seating bit I don't really get the love the the Greyhound. It was just okay I thought. Certainly wouldn't be going out there if it wasn't a beer garden weather.
agree - very much like a 70s pub with the same vibe and clientele (and carpets)

Legia Sky Blue

I've been there in Winter when it had a roaring fire going, and it was a real chore leaving. If you like old style pubs with good ale and decent food then it should be your thing. If you're a lager drinker and like a boozer with one arm bandits, pool table, juke box and big screen TV then it won't be for you!

Great_Expectations

Depends what you want pre match - it works for us as it’s quiet (we sometimes have kids/grandkids with us), food is always great, they have guest ales and it’s a decent walk down the tow path to the ground.

Very different pre-match routine and atmosphere to away days!

Old Warwickshire lad

agree - very much like a 70s pub with the same vibe and clientele (and carpets)
Did a nice draft bass back in the day. If I remember right. Telegraph did a piece on the landlord, shaming him for charging for water.
He then put a sign on the bar advertising, H2O £1 a pint.
He could be an awkward sod allegedly. 😇🍺

1966_and_all-that

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I think a couple in the Golden Cross, perhaps a swift one in the Town Wall then a lift up to Byatt's (Bryatts?) to finish and a walk to the ground.
Is Byatt's difficult with colours (shirt & scarf)? We're two 62 year olds with no inclination towards fisticuffs.

lordy_87

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I think a couple in the Golden Cross, perhaps a swift one in the Town Wall then a lift up to Byatt's (Bryatts?) to finish and a walk to the ground.
Is Byatt's difficult with colours (shirt & scarf)? We're two 62 year olds with no inclination towards fisticuffs.
I've been in byatts with away fans and never seen any trouble. It's not that kind of place , just don't act like a tit ! ;)

tskezz

I've been there in Winter when it had a roaring fire going, and it was a real chore leaving. If you like old style pubs with good ale and decent food then it should be your thing. If you're a lager drinker and like a boozer with one arm bandits, pool table, juke box and big screen TV then it won't be for you!
Hahaha one arm bandits. You should update your stereotypes

Users who are viewing this thread