Coventry Pride (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Yeah. It's just that I do like events (Godiva, food festivals, free concerts etc, entertainment). The Pride festival apparently has entertainment and music, so it sounds interesting.

Go and have a look then, if you don't like it go home.

bringbackrattles

Okay, Otis. So why don't you want to attend the pride thing on your own? If you're so accepting of it, then it shouldn't be a problem for you. Just go. You never know your luck! :emoji_kissing_heart:
Houch : Yes son what is it ? Son: Well dad I've got something to tell you. Houch: Go on then get it off your chest. Son: Dad, I'm gay and I also secretly support Aston Villa.
Houch : Aston Fucking Villa ! Get out of this house now !

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Otis, your wife is Russian, is it still a massive problem for them culturally across a large part of the people?

I know how it was here years ago so I guess its understandable.

Otis

Otis, your wife is Russian, is it still a massive problem for them culturally across a large part of the people?

I know how it was here years ago so I guess its understandable.
Yes. Massive.

According to my missus there are no gay people in Russia.

There only needs to be a mention of the word lesbian in a TV show and she's demanding I change the channel, so as not to influence our daughter.

It is a massive problem over there and the LGBT community are being suppressed daily.

bringbackrattles

Yes. Massive.

There only needs to be a mention of the word lesbian in a TV show and she's demanding I change the channel, so as not to influence our daughter.

It is a massive problem over there and the LGBT community are being suppressed daily.
On the radio this morning the subject featured was about this problem. It has warned gay football fans going to Russia for the World Cup, to be extra careful etc, and not bring attention to themselves. In other words they'll get a kicking.

Nick

Administrator
Yes. Massive.

Has she watched that Frankie Boyle thing in Russia? Saw a bit of it last night, was a bit random.

Guy on it blamed homosexuality on men being addicted to sex.

Otis

Has she watched that Frankie Boyle thing in Russia? Saw a bit of it last night, was a bit random.

Guy on it blamed homosexuality on men being addicted to sex.
No, missed it.

She won't watch anything at all anti-Russian and nowt anti Putin.

skyblueinBaku

I watched it. It was quite interesting, but not overtly ant-Russian or anti-Putin. However some of Frankie Boyles comments would have upset your missus, Otis, I'm sure. My wife didn't take a lot of notice because it was about the upcoming World Cup and she has no interest in football.

Otis

Thought you were talking about Coventry Pride, and was momentarily baffled as to why it should have been anti Putin!
Would make sense to be though. Despite denials, he is clearly a homophobe, even though pics of him topless on horses seems to point to quite the opposite.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Would make sense to be though. Despite denials, he is clearly a homophobe, even though pics of him topless on horses seems to point to quite the opposite.
Isn't that classed as "bare-back riding"? ;)

Otis

Well, here's a turn up for the books.

After all that umming and ahhing as to whether I should go or not and my being unsure, my daughter is now only meeting up with two friends, both of which are a couple of years older and both being lesbians.

There were supposed to be about 12 of them meeting up in total, but the other 9 (all straight) have now said they are all too embarrassed and uncomfortable with the concept to go.

They don't want to be seen at a gay festival.

So, still hangs up about it even amongst 13 and 14 year olds.

Surprising.

theferret

My daughter (14) went yesterday with a load of friends and had a great time. I went to pick her up and town was very busy. Rainbow flags everywhere, lots of families, a real cosmopolitan vibe. I'm a natural born worrier and was a little concerned, but needn't have been.

Otis

My daughter (14) went yesterday with a load of friends and had a great time. I went to pick her up and town was very busy. Rainbow flags everywhere, lots of families, a real cosmopolitan vibe. I'm a natural born worrier and was a little concerned, but needn't have been.
Yeah, I'm a worrier too.

I knew about the one girl being a lesbian, but didn't know of the other and the other is a girl my daughter has never met before. She is just a friend of the one girl my daughter does know, so I'm a little bit worried. Worried about what exactly I'm not too sure.

Three of them going, two lesbians, one of which is a stranger and then my daughter.

theferret

Yeah, I'm a worrier too.

I knew about the one girl being a lesbian, but didn't know of the other and the other is a girl my daughter has never met before. She is just a friend of the one girl my daughter does know, so I'm a little bit worried. Worried about what exactly I'm not too sure.

Three of them going, two lesbians, one of which is a stranger and then my daughter.

I wasn't worried about that sort of thing so much, more that she would be wondering round town draped in a rainbow flag and that she might become a target and get picked on by tracksuited morons. It was fine though. Your daughter sounds pretty sensible, I'm sure she'll be fine mate.

Otis

I wasn't worried about that sort of thing so much, more that she would be wondering round town draped in a rainbow flag and that she might become a target and get picked on by tracksuited morons. It was fine though. Your daughter sounds pretty sensible, I'm sure she'll be fine mate.
Yeah. It was more the stranger thing and because they are older to be honest, not because of their sexuality.

The one girl she does know she goes to drama with, so only sees her once a week and doesn't know her too well. The other girl she obviously doesn't know at all.

It was more two girls, both two years older and ones that aren't close friends that was the issue.

Otis

4576edacb9b85c33bce80685f2e35ce9.jpg

Found it all very confusing. The banner they had on display was almost identical to this, but with a few more added on too and then some people had flags that were definitely not on that list there on this one here above.

Spoilt it for me a bit. Surely everyone is an individual and then you are looking for acceptance of your individuality.

This just seems another form of labelling people and no-one is surely going to be able memorise all these different flags and what they all mean.

My daughter is pretty clued up, but she had to keep going back to look at the banner to see what the different flags meant.

bringbackrattles

View attachment 9925

Found it all very confusing. The banner they had on display was almost identical to this, but with a few more added on too and then some people had flags that were definitely not on that list there on this one here above.

Spoilt it for me a bit. Surely everyone is an individual and then you are looking for acceptance of your individuality.

This just seems another form of labelling people and no-one is surely going to be able memorise all these different flags and what they all mean.

My daughter is pretty clued up, but she had to keep going back to look at the banner to see what the different flags meant.
And there's me thinking what flag shall I put up, England or Cov City for the World Cup !

Otis

And there's me thinking what flag shall I put up, England or Cov City for the World Cup !
What you need is the appropriate England/gender flag and the appropriate Coventry/gender flag.

Half and half flags!

So if you are a polysexual England supporter you would have pink green and light blue on one half and the St. George's red and white on the other half.

I can sell you the reference guide if you want.

wingy

View attachment 9925

Not sure I get the Leather Pride thing .
Textiles seem under represented!!

bringbackrattles

What you need is the appropriate England/gender flag and the appropriate Coventry/gender flag.

Half and half flags!

So if you are a polysexual England supporter you would have pink green and light blue on one half and the St. George's red and white on the other half.

I can sell you the reference guide if you want.
The block of flats I live in has people from all over the world. Polish, Nigerian, Jamaican, and from all over the UK. Someone said to me the other day Whitefriars the owners, have told tenants not to put England banners/flags up in case it "upsets" other tenants etc. Sod that my England flag is going up as it has done for years.

Otis

The block of flats I live in has people from all over the world. Polish, Nigerian, Jamaican, and from all over the UK. Someone said to me the other day Whitefriars the owners, have told tenants not to put England banners/flags up in case it "upsets" other tenants etc. Sod that my England flag is going up as it has done for years.
Ridiculous.

This is England. If you are English and want to stick a flag in your window for the World Cup you of course should be able to.

We have a Polish family living opposite us. If they want to stick a Polish flag up next week that's surely absolutely fine too.

bringbackrattles

Ridiculous.

This is England. If you are English and want to stick a flag in your window for the World Cup you of course should be able to.

We have a Polish family living opposite us. If they want to stick a Polish flag up next week that's surely absolutely fine too.
Exactly Otis. I get on with the Polish couple by me and if they stick the Polish flag up I'll say nice one. I don't give a toss how many flags go up in the block, we all get on okay,except for a couple of anti social tenants, and I feel councils create friction when there isn't any there. The World Cup will come and go and the flags will come down, but if they remain so what !

Otis

Hmm, not impressed.

Daughter just got back and said it was anything but family friendly and they were giving out free condoms and even tried to give one to my daughter. She is 13!

She was really embarrassed by it and just said no thanks.

She was also dragged up on to the stage and they were trying to make her sing when she didn't want to. Anyway, that is just minor, but she said it was not family friendly at all and her friend who was with her and is a lesbian told her to pretend to be gay for the day in order to try and blend in.

How is that 'everyone welcome?'

I only stayed for about 20 mins and then left my daughter with her friend.

She still enjoyed it, but was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as advertsied.

Otis

She also couldn't find a seat anywhere for hours on end and neither could her friends, so in the end they were by standers.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Hmm, not impressed.

Daughter just got back and said it was anything but family friendly and they were giving out free condoms and even tried to give one to my daughter. She is 13!

She was really embarrassed by it and just said no thanks.

She was also dragged up on to the stage and they were trying to make her sing when she didn't want to. Anyway, that is just minor, but she said it was not family friendly at all and her friend who was with her and is a lesbian told her to pretend to be gay for the day in order to try and blend in.

How is that 'everyone welcome?'

I only stayed for about 20 mins and then left my daughter with her friend.

She still enjoyed it, but was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as advertsied.

The one down here I very family friendly but it depends on how you define it? The bit about blending in just sounds immature.

You get teenagers who are sexual active at that age, my first time was when I was 13 with a 15 year old girl. I did start 'growing up' earlier than most though.

Nick

Administrator
View attachment 9925

The flag thing is far too attention seeking.

Otis

The one down here I very family friendly but it depends on how you define it? The bit about blending in just sounds immature.

You get teenagers who are sexual active at that age, my first time was when I was 13 with a 15 year old girl. I did start 'growing up' earlier than most though.
She's 16 though this friend.

Believe she said it to in some way protect my daughter.

Think it is fine to have condoms there. Big difference though to walking around, approaching people and handing them out to 13 year old girls.

My daughter was thoroughly embarrassed.

Nick

Administrator

Think it is fine to have condoms there. Big difference though to walking around, approaching people and handing them out to 13 year old girls.

When I was 13 I'd have taken them to fill up with water and throw them.

Johnnythespider

Well, here's a turn up for the books.

After all that umming and ahhing as to whether I should go or not and my being unsure, my daughter is now only meeting up with two friends, both of which are a couple of years older and both being lesbians.

There were supposed to be about 12 of them meeting up in total, but the other 9 (all straight) have now said they are all too embarrassed and uncomfortable with the concept to go.

They don't want to be seen at a gay festival.

So, still hangs up about it even amongst 13 and 14 year olds.

Surprising.
Do the 13 and 14r year olds have hang ups or have their parents?

Sick Boy

It still sounds like the friend was immature. I doubt anyone there would have had an issue with her not being gay, surely?!

Users who are viewing this thread