Match Thread Coventry City vs Middlesbrough Play off Semi final 1st leg Match Thread -Sunday 14th May (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

I do think I'd tell Norton Cuffy to attack the defence every time, He is an outlet, unpredictable, but is dangerous. Fair enough if we're trying to maintain possession, but if we're trying to ruffle their defence, he needs to be more positive with it. Forward!!!

shmmeee

It's actually how I'm trying to keeping myself calm, I keep telling myself that to be where we are from where we were even just a few months ago is a fantastic achievement, whatever happens from here on.

I think it’s old City mindset of “what if this is our only chance?”, I’m just confident Robins and Viveash can continue to evolve the squad and we’ll be a solid top six side next season regardless.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Felt like a game both managers really didn't want to lose and the result was a fair one. We seemed to let them dictate the tempo for large periods but we were disciplined and kept our shape well.

Wilson made a couple of fine saves to keep us in it early on, and as we grew into the game the WB's got forward a little bit more and put a few balls in that no-one got on the end of.

Strikers were isolated as Hamer was playing really deep despite Kelly and Eccles playing alongside him and was largely resorting to trying to play killer passes over 50 yards.

Godden was totally anonymous. I rarely say stuff like this, but when a long ball gets played up to challenge for in the air, he bottles it every time. He makes a token jump that no-one in their right mind could think had a chance of actually competing with the ball. If he's not going to make a genuine attempt I'd rather he owned it and stood off looking to pick up the second ball.

JAM See

Been drinking all day so apologies if this has been posted before but this has got '87 written all over it...

..Turn up for the ritual slaughter by the bookies' favourites and run out 3-2 winners after extra time.

skyblu3sk

Cuffy reminds me of a foal finding its feet for the first time when he runs with the ball. Sometimes that comes off for him Sometimes not. It was similar with gyok at one point, the defence had no idea what he was doing as he didn't he's slightly more predictable over the last part of the season.
world meet GIF

kingfield park skyblues

Watched the match again with my tick list, never saw godden do a header, shoot, hold the ball up, run with the ball. Tackle, intercept. What does he do.
Bidwell is no cuffy, too stationary. But did play better than he normally does.
Robins used dabo to replace maatsen on the left, to give Todd evens right wing back , but will not use dabo for bidwell.why

Balli001

Watched the match again with my tick list, never saw godden do a header, shoot, hold the ball up, run with the ball. Tackle, intercept. What does he do.
Bidwell is no cuffy, too stationary. But did play better than he normally does.
Robins used dabo to replace maatsen on the left, to give Todd evens right wing back , but will not use dabo for bidwell.why
Because bidwell is fine and dabo is dreadful

Astute

It's nicely balanced. Guessed Middlesbrough would sit back a bit. Didn't guess they would stifle us so much 🙄 😄

Time for the outfox. Middlesbrough don't play the high balls in. But after 3 games and only 1 goal can see our area being hit with high balls. Our side Sheaf for Godden if fit enough?

It feels so good knowing we have a genuine chance.

Great_Expectations

We were very cautious, reserved and certainly seemed to sit back yesterday, but I think it was all intentional. While not actively slowing the play down, we didn’t rush into things at all (other than Vik occasionally who wasn’t following the plan!). We also let them have the ball a lot, at times they were at walking pace or stood still and we didn’t press. It was strange to see, but so uniform that it must be a tactic as opposed to nerves or other reasons.

So MR is either conserving energy, seeing what Boro have when they have time/possession, letting them expend themselves or a combination of all.

Either way I expect a different performance on Wednesday and wouldn’t be surprised to see the box.

I think we’ll sit deep ish for the first 20 or so, then we’ll start to play or at least effectively counter. I’d be keen to see us press at times and while offensively very good, they look vulnerable at the back.

Otis

We were very cautious, reserved and certainly seemed to sit back yesterday, but I think it was all intentional. While not actively slowing the play down, we didn’t rush into things at all (other than Vik occasionally who wasn’t following the plan!). We also let them have the ball a lot, at times they were at walking pace or stood still and we didn’t press. It was strange to see, but so uniform that it must be a tactic as opposed to nerves or other reasons.

So MR is either conserving energy, seeing what Boro have when they have time/possession, letting them expend themselves or a combination of all.

Either way I expect a different performance on Wednesday and wouldn’t be surprised to see the box.

I think we’ll sit deep ish for the first 20 or so, then we’ll start to play or at least effectively counter. I’d be keen to see us press at times and while offensively very good, they look vulnerable at the back.
We wouldn't be conserving energy.

I think MR knew that Middlesboro would probably come straight at us in the hope of bagging that first goal early on, therefore putting us on the back foot, hushing up the crowd and believing they could then go on and win the game.

I think Robins was just cautious at first and believed it was important that we didn't go a goal down and that we would get stronger as the match wore on, which proved to be a case in point.

We only started to press later on in that first half didn't we. It was a risky tactic, but it worked. I think it was vital we came out of this game without a defeat and now it's down to a one match shootout.

I think we still have a very good chance.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Will people really be upset if we don’t go up?
YES having got this close want to get the prize.Although you hope you will push on next season things could change .Ask Huddersfield and MK dons.We will lose Vic and Gus and you've got to hope there replacements are good enough and fit in quickly plus other incoming players.Lets get the job done Wednesday

Robinshio

This time on Thursday the talk will be about Wembley tickets
Apart from not getting a goal, i dont think MR is too disappointed

not lost away since 1st week of Feb
not lost to Boro in 3 games

I think we will wake up on Thursday feeling fine

Flying Fokker

Cuffy reminds me of a foal finding its feet for the first time when he runs with the ball. Sometimes that comes off for him Sometimes not. It was similar with gyok at one point, the defence had no idea what he was doing as he didn't he's slightly more predictable over the last part of the season.
world meet GIF
Humphhh a foal, you say, ain’t life great?
The guy is playing to Robin’s book, creating a physical threat purely by speed and frame, and he’s likened to a foal? Better than a pit pony, I suppose?

Grendel

jordan210

You won’t be saying that when he comes on last minute Wednesday and takes the greatest pen you’ve ever seen to send us to Wembley.

Thats what im hoping for. When he has played he has looked ok. So surprised he hast been given a chance over the season

Kris_Boro

Well i thought that was tense!!

Firstly, i cannot believe we kept a clean sheet, i cant recall the last time we did or the last time that our defence was better than our attack. It was a poor game and the longer it went on the more likely a 0-0 was going to be played out.

I would have snapped your hands off for a draw before kick off as i did fear the worst. It is nicely in the balance and i really can see it going either way (please not extra time and penalties)

We desperately need Howson and Ramsey back - whilst Mowatt probably had one of his better games we are much slower with him and Hackney.

Still bricking it and im expected to get work done today, tomorrow and Wednesday. No chance, too busy considering every formation, tactic and watching motivational you tube clips from games in our history to convince me we will do it.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

both teams were massively cautious - I’d imagine as we’re pretty solidly defensively that played into Carrick’s mindset. Didn’t want to go to the second leg chasing.

Robins played the same as it would be difficult chasing the game at your place.

our hopes will rest on whether Hamer is fit. I’m confident but if he’s injured we can forget it

Matt smith

Firstly, i cannot believe we kept a clean sheet, i cant recall the last time we did or the last time that our defence was better than our attack. It was a poor game and the longer it went on the more likely a 0-0 was going to be played out.

I would have snapped your hands off for a draw before kick off as i did fear the worst. It is nicely in the balance and i really can see it going either way (please not extra time and penalties)

We desperately need Howson and Ramsey back - whilst Mowatt probably had one of his better games we are much slower with him and Hackney.

Still bricking it and im expected to get work done today, tomorrow and Wednesday. No chance, too busy considering every formation, tactic and watching motivational you tube clips from games in our history to convince me we will do it.
Good luck mate!!

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think it'll be interesting to see if they do come back into the fold. Carrick's comments suggest they're not ready but undoubtedly he's not going to reveal his cards before the game.

I also felt Mowatt and Hackney slowed things down for you. Which was frustrating from our POV as if we'd actioned our usual pressing game early on I think we could've caused them a number of issues. Will certainly be a different game from yesterday if either or both come back in on Wednesday as unfortunately it'll likely add more dynamism to your midfield - which personally I think we've struggled to contain at times in the past two fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread