Match Thread Coventry City vs. Gillingham Match Thread - Saturday 24th Aug (2 Viewers)

SkyblueTexan

With the games coming thick and fast now, I wish we had 2 good players for every position. But it is what it is and I'm still very happy with how we have recruited so far. Think we have to keep the changes minimal for Gillingham and play a slower game and try to control the tempo. If Jobello cannot go and with Dabo and Kastaneer not available, this is a great opportunity for others (like McCallum, Hyam, Biamou, Baka, Eccles, Bapaga etc.) to step up and stake a claim for a starting berth or a place on the bench. Really hope Allen has recovered and can give it a go. Hopefully we can get a loan or 2 in before Saturday. Otherwise, a formation change might be needed to maximise the potential of those who are available. Gillingham's draw with Blackpool clearly indicates they will not be easy opponents, especially after such a draining encounter for us last night.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

See.
Keeper looked suspect for their 1st & 2nd goal last night sloppy goals Jobello not tracking his man he needs to be told to help Dabo & fast last season Luke Thomas done it week in week out it’s not good enough that needs sorting.McFadz & Rose did look worrying under pressure McFadz more so.
See I blamed McFadzean for their second goal - looks like he gets in Marosi’s way

clint van damme

With the games in quick succession and the extra work needed with 9 men we could tire in this game.

Biggest question is what to do with RB with Dabo suspended and Pask injured. I see McCallum being touted but I think being young and inexperienced I'm loath to playing on his unnatural side. I'd possibly swap Mason over to RB for McCallum to be brought in on the left. Even though I don't particularly want to move him either given how well he's started I think I'd prefer to have two smaller weak spots than one big one.

Wakefield is the other option, as he has been in the U23 but I don't know how well he's recovered from his injury, so I think a place on the bench for him. Or a loan which we've been rumoured to be looking at anyway so the suspension may just see that happen. I bet Hickman is absolutely kicking himself.

I can't see us changing formation to a back three, even though we've got three decent centre backs.

Midfield, especially Shipley given the way he plays, will start to tire in this game so need cover on the bench. If Allen is fit that'd be fantastic but I'm not expecting it so I wouldn't be surprised to see Eccles get a few more minutes than he has done previously.

Hopefully Jobello will be fit but if not I'm not sure what I'd do with that. Don't want to move Godden out wide but he'd be a better fit there than either Max or Baka. Again Wakefield could come into the thinking as he's a natural right sided player and also has experience at full back so could hopefully be relied upon to protect the part-time RB. As I said above can't see a change in formation to two up top either.

Will be interesting to see how we deal with those things.

Too much tinkering.
If we haven't bought anyone in by Saturday stick the young lad in at RB. Didn't do much wrong when he came on last night.

CanadianCCFC

Marosi

Mason
Hyam
McFadzean
McCallum (RB)

Kelly
Eccles
Shipley

Hiwula
Bapaga
Godden

Bench:
Wilson
Rose
Westbrooke
Jobello
Bakayoko
Biamou
Last spot pending fitness: Allen/Wakefield, if neither are fit then Williams.

ccfcricoh

Really hope we get another win, to put one over the obnoxious Mr Evans.
He was sat about 3 seats down from us at the Brizzle game...left before the Kastaneer goal, shame he's suspended now.

Hopefully Robins gets another one over on his "mate"

SkyblueTexan

Marosi

Mason
Hyam
McFadzean
McCallum (RB)

Kelly
Eccles
Shipley

Hiwula
Bapaga
Godden

Bench:
Wilson
Rose
Westbrooke
Jobello
Bakayoko
Biamou

I think a 4-4-2 formation might work on Saturday with the following lineup:
Marosi
McCallum McFadzean Rose Mason

Shipley Kelly Westbrooke Hiwula
Baka Godden

Legia Sky Blue

McCallum was excellent last night, but Saturday will be a completely different game, with different requirements. Gillingham are likely to sit back and our full backs are likely to play a more attacking game than a defensive one, and as such I think we need a more right footed player, so maybe Rose to move to full back, with Hyam coming in at centre back. Also, if Jobello is out this is the sort of game that might be a nice introduction for Bapaga, unless we bring in a loan of course.

Gint11

Option 1:

McCallum RB, Wakefield in for Jobello if unfit.

Option 2:

Rose RB Hyam CB with Baka in for Jobello

Kieranp96

Marosi

Mason
Hyam
McFadzean
McCallum (RB)

Kelly
Eccles
Shipley

Hiwula
Bapaga
Godden

Bench:
Wilson
Rose
Westbrooke
Jobello
Bakayoko
Biamou
Why drop rose? He is just as good as hyam didn't make many mistakes against Portsmouth and saved us at the death.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Why drop rose? He is just as good as hyam didn't make many mistakes against Portsmouth and saved us at the death.
I wouldn't drop Rose and think he's been superb for the majority of his time on the pitch but disagree with the 'didn't many mistakes against Portsmouth'. His goal saved him from a poor game where he was bullied throughout. All players have them, I'm not concerned by one off day. I hope Jobello is fit, if not Bapaga in. I don't want to change up the formation, it appears to be working. McCallum in for Dabo as most like-for-like change.

fernandopartridge

I wouldn't drop Rose and think he's been superb for the majority of his time on the pitch but disagree with the 'didn't many mistakes against Portsmouth'. His goal saved him from a poor game where he was bullied throughout. All players have them, I'm not concerned by one off day. I hope Jobello is fit, if not Bapaga in. I don't want to change up the formation, it appears to be working. McCallum in for Dabo as most like-for-like change.

I'd say McFadzean was worse tbh, culpable for the third and was a bit suspect for the second, didn't get out to close his man quick enough imo. He may have been worried about a player running in behind him but thought he should have gone towards the player who crossed it.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I'd say McFadzean was worse tbh, culpable for the third and was a bit suspect for the second, didn't get out to close his man quick enough imo. He may have been worried about a player running in behind him but thought he should have gone towards the player who crossed it.
Yeah I thought both looked suspect for the first time. Rose looked lucky not to give away a penalty in the first half. Having said that, not many teams will have an attacking threat as challengeing as Pompey. Like I said not concerned, but they'll need to put Tuesday night behind them and use the confidence they should have gained from the other games this season and get back to looking like a really solid defensive unit.

Kieranp96

I should of rephrased and said many deadly mistakes, first goal was dabo and marosi second marosi and mcfadzen and third goal mcfadzen but agree players have the off days hopefully the Portsmouth game got alot of the players off days out there system as they were all pretty poor compared to what they are capable off.

fernandopartridge

Yeah I thought both looked suspect for the first time. Rose looked lucky not to give away a penalty in the first half. Having said that, not many teams will have an attacking threat as challengeing as Pompey. Like I said not concerned, but they'll need to put Tuesday night behind them and use the confidence they should have gained from the other games this season and get back to looking like a really solid defensive unit.

Yep. I don't think our 'easy' start to the season has helped. Like I said earlier in this thread, the intensity caught us out a bit. It's encouraging that we defended so much better with nine men, seemed to adapt really well to it. I think the pair of them will be fine and wouldn't drop either for Saturday.

Briles

Hopefully something like this.

upload_2019-8-22_12-45-34.png

SkyblueTexan

I should of rephrased and said many deadly mistakes, first goal was dabo and marosi second marosi and mcfadzen and third goal mcfadzen but agree players have the off days hopefully the Portsmouth game got alot of the players off days out there system as they were all pretty poor compared to what they are capable off.
Agreed. Funny thing is the defence as a whole (perhaps bar Mason and maybe Rose notwithstanding the let off for the penalty that wasn't given) seemed to have their off days in the same game. Maybe the big game and hostile atmosphere with 18,000 rabid fans got to them. Hopefully it's a lesson learned and something to draw from in the future.

Manchester_sky_blue

I reckon he'll put McCallum at Right Back with Wakefield on the bench as cover.

Baka or Bapaga to come in for Jobello if he's not fit. Which probably means Biamou on the bench.

cc84cov

Marosi
McCallum Rose McFadz Mason
O’hare Kelly Shipley
Jobello Godden Hiwula

Jobello HAS to help McCallum out no more of that not tracking his man garbage.

Warwickhunt

Dont care about performance long as we beat that Fat Bastard "The Coach Driver" Manager of there's! Bloody detest him PUSB

Covstu

Does anyone get the train over? If so what’s the best way to get to the ground from new street? I drive so didn’t have a clue but assumed that some of you lot catch the train?

Magwitch

The way Jobello was limping at the end of Tuesdays game I can’t see him being fit for tomorrow which I’m sure will bring O’Hare in to contention. No sign of Allen yet either so I think midfield will be the same, Rose can play right back so I suspect he’ll move over and Hyam will come in.

ccfchoi87

Does anyone get the train over? If so what’s the best way to get to the ground from new street? I drive so didn’t have a clue but assumed that some of you lot catch the train?

Best to walk it and stop at a few pubs on the way. An Uber probably costs about a fiver. No point messing round with more busses or trains

Users who are viewing this thread