Match Thread Coventry City v Manchester United - FA Cup Semi-Final (3 Viewers)

SeaSeeEffCee

We were phenomenal for the final 60 minutes of the game. The best hour of football I can remember from a City side. That performance may have just lost us Sheaf in the summer, he was exceptional with the ball. Van Ewijk’s best game for us, he was probably our man of the match but I think all of the players who played that last hour can hold their heads high.

Otis

Not sure I agree. I go the other way with this decision. It's factual it's either on or off. This should be the only decisions it gets involved in.
But factual to what degree? How far do you go with it.

With handballs for possible penalties, they could go into even closer detail if they wanted to see how many millimetres an arm is away from a body, to show it's in an unnatural position. They could take 10 mins over if if they wanted to get it absolutely, factually spot-on.

You could take everything down to a microscopic level if you wanted.

That today was not factual that it was off. You can draw down to a miniscule level to try and ascertain at what point the pass is made. At what point the ball leaves the passers foot.

It's absolutely nuts.

You can't give offside for that today. Well, they shouldn't anyway. VAR should not be used in this way

Make it clear and obvious errors.

Brighton Sky Blue

We were phenomenal for the final 60 minutes of the game. The best hour of football I can remember from a City side. That performance may have just lost us Sheaf in the summer, he was exceptional with the ball. Van Ewijk’s best game for us, he was probably our man of the match but I think all of the players who played that last hour can hold their heads high.
If Sheaf is to go someone will need to pay top dollar. English and two years on his contract, if Hamer can go for £15 mill with a year to run, Sheaf should be at least 20.

HadjiChippo

They’re both very young and not had time to have the class stamped out of them yet. Rashford was really pedestrian today I thought, and should be a warning to both of them.
Not gonna lie, pissed myself laughing when he limped off injured after Sheaf cleanly won the ball.

Rashford does the same thing every game, down the left, cut inside - leave ball behind/lose it, then sulk around. Can pull a wonder goal out once every blue moon, but is an awful team player. If he was truly world class, he’d have tore us apart today.

skybluegod

But factual to what degree? How far do you go with it.

With handballs for possible penalties, they could go into even closer detail if they wanted to see how many millimetres an arm is away from a body, to show it's in an unnatural position. They could take 10 mins over if if they wanted to get it absolutely, factually spot-on.

You could take everything down to a microscopic level if you wanted.

That today was not factual that it was off. You can draw down to a miniscule level to try and ascertain at what point the pass is made. At what point the ball leaves the passers foot.

It's absolutely nuts.

You can't give offside for that today. Well, they shouldn't anyway. VAR should not be used in this way

Make it clear and obvious errors.

No because clear and obvious doesn't work. This is why we have ended up in this situation, that's what it was to begin with. Your own arguement goes against you. What's considered clear and obvious? Toleration is different.

My personal view, is offsides and ball in and out of play. They are the only two things it should get involved with. That is the view held by a number of premier league referees I have spoken to too.

SkyblueTexan

At some point, we have to hang onto our best players and refuse to sell. COH leaving this summer will further decimate our depleted midfield department. I hope DK sees how far we’ve come since he’s taken over and arms MR and AV with the budget to make next season the one where we get out of this division. We are close to being a Premier League team and have to take the next steps to get there.

chilled

The offside var is so flawed ????
Have they got equipment that is good enough to show down to miniscule decisions and that's not even getting into when did the ball leave the City players foot pictures ???
And the linesman didn't even flag !!
Gobsmacked !!!!!!

skybluegod

I genuinely couldn't be prouder of today. I really don't care about that offside/not offside. We have just gone toe to toe with the biggest club in the world, and put our name in probably most people's mouths.

I have had about 30 people message me today, some of whom I haven't spoken to in years. I don't care if united are in a bad moment. That was a monumental comeback and something to be proud of. Bring on next season.

HadjiChippo

I genuinely couldn't be prouder of today. I really don't care about that offside/not offside. We have just gone toe to toe with the biggest club in the world, and put our name in probably most people's mouths.

I have had about 30 people message me today, some of whom I haven't spoken to in years. I don't care if united are in a bad moment. That was a monumental comeback and something to be proud of. Bring on next season.
You must have nicer contacts than me haha I’ve had Birmingham and Leicester fans bantering me.

Fucking staring league one in the face and laughing at us? Makes no sense.

Otis

Clear and obvious would be something you could see instantaneously. You would look and see a player is clearly ahead of another..

Very simple really. I don't believe my argument goes against me at all. If you look at a replay and you have to study it for 4 or 5 mins, that's not a clear and obvious error.

No because clear and obvious doesn't work. This is why we have ended up in this situation, that's what it was to begin with. Your own arguement goes against you. What's considered clear and obvious? Toleration is different.

My personal view, is offsides and ball in and out of play. They are the only two things it should get involved with. That is the view held by a number of premier league referees I have spoken to too.

Garlana86

Proud of us today, weird how your expectations change so quickly, especially during one game! "Yeh Im happy to be here", "yeh I'd be happy to get a goal", "yeah I'm glad we're putting up a fight", "hang on, if we score the next we win this!".

Feels a bit bitter sweet, and undeserving for them. But that's football I guess. Our fans were immense, theirs embarrassing, Milan Motm, our stand out player for me, he was amazing in both halves.

shmmeee

Not gonna lie, pissed myself laughing when he limped off injured after Sheaf cleanly won the ball.

Rashford does the same thing every game, down the left, cut inside - leave ball behind/lose it, then sulk around. Can pull a wonder goal out once every blue moon, but is an awful team player. If he was truly world class, he’d have tore us apart today.

Generally quite liked Rashford, but fuck me ge dives all over the shop doesn’t he?

Brighton Sky Blue

Proud of us today, weird how your expectations change so quickly, especially during one game! "Yeh Im happy to be here", "yeh I'd be happy to get a goal", "yeah I'm glad we're putting up a fight", "hang on, if we score the next we win this!".

Feels a bit bitter sweet, and undeserving for them. But that's football I guess. Our fans were immense, theirs embarrassing, Milan Motm, our stand out player for me, he was amazing in both halves.
The thing is, if Torp had missed and we lost on pens then I could accept that being football. But he scored a legitimate winning goal that I can only assume has been chalked off by either a Man Utd fan or otherwise corrupt official.

That isn’t football.

Evo1883

Think we set up wrong 1st half but that second half and THAT moment will live with me forever .... unbelievable

Really feel more gutted than the playoff final at this point

mrfr

I think it’s wrong to focus on the merit of the offside decision. It’s obviously not clear but the system doesn’t require it to be, and so it is what it is - unsatisfactory, antithetical to the spirit of the game, but we weren’t cheated by the officials.

Instead I want to focus on the incredible comeback, the balls it took to come back at them 0-3 down and get them on the ropes, I want to focus on performances from players playing above their level playing players who have done and won it all in the game who thought they could stroll through the second half against lower league opposition and not get found out.

We fucking handed it to them second half, we were miles better than them on the pitch and in the stands and we should’ve convinced everyone that we have very close to enough to complete in the premier league. That’s something to be proud of and to take masses of confidence from given where we have been.

Also fuck the FA for messing with the competition, and fuck PGMOL and fuck Onana.

skybluegod

Clear and obvious would be something you could see instantaneously. You would look and see a player is clearly ahead of another..

Very simple really. I don't believe my argument goes against me at all. If you look at a replay and you have to study it for 4 or 5 mins, that's not a clear and obvious error.

What about one that takes 1 minute? Or 2 minutes? You are creating ambiguity.

I agree the current format is wrong. But we started out with exactly what you want, I have explained it a few times on here. For the first 6 weeks of VAR it didn't intervene once. Because it was 'clear and obvious' but there were then complaints and pressure to get more involved. Which is where it has spiraled. Because it's too subjective. That's what football largely is. Subjective.

chilled

Think we were set up wrong in the 1st half , showing far to much respect to them ..Happy that MR sorted it out .And we deserved to leave winners.Im proud of every one of them , and I'm sure they're happy with themselves on the coach home.im looking forward to see man city tear them a new one !

HadjiChippo

Can I just say I thought ellis simms , Ben sheaf and MVE were very good today
When we looked at our worst in the first half, MVE never faltered or looked overwhelmed and was all class, despite probably having the most work to do first half.

Simms looked every bit a premier league level striker, and was unlucky not score a couple more today (hit the bar, Dalot clearance etc.,). Whether he could be consistent at that level, who knows? But he’s definitely got the ability.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

When we looked at our worst in the first half, MVE never faltered or looked overwhelmed and was all class, despite probably having the most work to do first half.

Simms looked every bit a premier league level striker, and was unlucky not score a couple more today. Whether he could be consistent at that level, who knows? But he’s definitely got the ability.
That piece in the first half when he glided past at least three Man Utd players was pretty ridiculous

Otis

What about one that takes 1 minute? Or 2 minutes? You are creating ambiguity.

I agree the current format is wrong. But we started out with exactly what you want, I have explained it a few times on here. For the first 6 weeks of VAR it didn't intervene once. Because it was 'clear and obvious' but there were then complaints and pressure to get more involved. Which is where it has spiraled. Because it's too subjective. That's what football largely is. Subjective.
I have always said, it should be a look of 20-30 seconds max. If they can't find a definitive, clear cut answer there, they go back to the on-field decision.

I am not creating ambiguity. I am saying it simply cannot be allowed to go to such miniscule levels. It makes the game a joke.

Because if you are going to go to those levels, why not take it even further still. See the microsecond a ball leaves a foot and zoom in until you can see each individual blade of grass.

No-one can say that was a clear and obvious error today.

I would also disagree to a degree, on the other point. It used to take ages to come to a decision and all the managers complained and it then became quicker on the whole

Otis

Anyway, I am not as peed off the offside as others are and it's not what I wanted to focus on. We should be talking about the performance.

skybluegod

I have always said, it should be a look of 20-30 seconds max. If they can't find a definitive, clear cut answer there, they go back to the on-field decision.

I am not creating ambiguity. I am saying it simply cannot be allowed to go to such miniscule levels. It makes the game a joke.

Because if you are going to go to those levels, why not take it even further still. See the microsecond a ball leaves a foot and zoom in until you can see each individual blade of grass.

No-one can say that was a clear and obvious error today.

I would also disagree to a degree, on the other point. It used to take ages to come to a decision and all the managers complained and now it is a little quicker.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with with the bold? I haven't said anything about decision making and it getting longer?

I also haven't said that today was clear and obvious? Of course as a city fan I'm shouting that it's too harsh. All I'm saying is that it should be the only decisions it gets involved in. Whether the tech is good enough or not I'm not going to debate that. I don't think VAR should be used for subjective calls whatsoever. Human error is part of the game. And as a referee I think it makes the game more beautiful (even if we get dogs abuse)

nicksar

Agree with all that,Torp made such a difference when he came on,O'Hare benefited massively from his introduction...big performance from Tavares as well,I can see why the manager and coaches have faith in him.

Brighton Sky Blue

Anyway, I am not as peed off the offside as others are and it's not what I wanted to focus on. We should be talking about the performance.
My overriding thought on that is it’s a pity we didn’t play that way from the beginning. If we had then we’d have surely won with ease, that makeshift Utd defence was so brittle.

Users who are viewing this thread