Match Thread Coventry City v Manchester United - FA Cup Semi-Final (12 Viewers)

SkyBlueSoul

5 days away now, might as well start a proper match thread. Formations etc., all the usual.

Bosworth Blue

Sadly I think it’s time to bring Wilson back in😬

O’hare has to start and I’m very very grateful Palmer got himself suspended after his shambolic display last week.

We have a big problem with the Barnsley trio that will need to be addressed in the summer.

Torp and Tavares belong with the u23s.

No preference in regards to back 4 or back 3 but the 11 picks itself.

Coventry 1-6 Manchester United

Last edited:

CBS16

Cmon City! Just praying we turn up. Sheaf and Eccles in particular will need to have the game of their lives.
Team selection is quite an awkward one to pick, especially with lati being so crap it's hard to not want MVE right back, which leaves us with only Tavares who I can't see getting a start for this one. He'll probably stick with Latibeaudiere, other option is to put Eccles right back and start Torp sheaf and Ohare together.

Collins
Lati Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Sheaf Eccles
MVE Ohare Haji
Simms

Is the obvious line up, can see Robins springing a surprise tho especially after the Birmingham shit show (still angry about that performance!)

Final score prediction: Cov 1 Man United 3

Otis

I do think after a couple of poor games from Collins, Wilson will certainly come under consideration.

Not quite sure what MR will go with. He may well surprise us.

We can win for sure, but it would need a top notch performance from us and a substandard performance from Man U.

Or, some huge slices of luck/wonder goals/own goals/or a sending off.

I am leaning towards 3-1 to them, with a valiant effort from ourselves

Man Utd 3 - 1 City

Kitching (OG 31') - Maguire (OG 89')
Kitching (OG 64')
Thomas (OG 72')

SkyBlueSoul

Difficult to call for me. As loathe as I am to put Lati at RB again, having that and MvE in front of him means we can double up on Garnacho (it feels ridiculous typing that) but also use MvE's pace on the break. Need to get at Kambwala if he's playing. The team basically picks itself, unless MR/AV spring a surprise and go 3ATB or something.

Solid performance but run out of steam and a 4-1 loss, couple of late goals for them making it look worse than it was.

Collins
Eccles Sheaf
MvE O'Hare Wright
Simms

Skyblueweeman

Difficult to call for me. As loathe as I am to put Lati at RB again, having that and MvE in front of him means we can double up on Garnacho (it feels ridiculous typing that) but also use MvE's pace on the break. Need to get at Kambwala if he's playing. The team basically picks itself, unless MR/AV spring a surprise and go 3ATB or something.

Solid performance but run out of steam and a 4-1 loss, couple of late goals for them making it look worse than it was.

Collins
Eccles Sheaf
MvE O'Hare Wright
Simms

Agree with the team above but I'm so genuinely convinced we'll sneak it.

We've got some poor performances out of the way and Utd are beatable. Is it likely, no. Is it doable, most definitely yes. It'll only take them to have one of their off days - which are more regular now and some luck and you just never know.

I think a lot will depend on Sheaf and Eccles. They're our key players, breaking up play, protecting the back 3/5 and starting attacks. Sheaf channeled his inner Xavi vs Wolves. Another one of those and a good performance from Eccles and it'll help massively.

One things for sure...this team can spring positive results when we've needed them (bar Luton, obvs) and I'm confident that we can add Sunday to the list of amazing wins under MR.

Bertola

As for team, I'd get MVE back to RB. Lati looks like he needs a break, and Milan's pace will be required to mark Rashford if he starts on the left.

I'd go 4-3-1-2 I think:

Collins (reluctanctly)

Milan
Bobby
Kitching
Bidwell

Sheaf
Eccles
Torp

O'Hare

Wright
Simms

Simms and Wright would need to work the channels and help provide width along with the full backs, but it could work. The other option is stay 4-3-3 and put Godden back in, with Simms on the right.... but not sure thats wise with how Godden has looked recently

Captain_Slackbladder

As for team, I'd get MVE back to RB. Lati looks like he needs a break, and Milan's pace will be required to mark Rashford if he starts on the left.

I'd go 4-3-1-2 I think:

Collins (reluctanctly)

Milan
Bobby
Kitching
Bidwell

Sheaf
Eccles
Torp

O'Hare

Wright
Simms

Simms and Wright would need to work the channels and help provide width along with the full backs, but it could work. The other option is stay 4-3-3 and put Godden back in, with Simms on the right.... but not sure thats wise with how Godden has looked recently
I would play Kelly over Torp

SkyBlueSoul

Agree with the team above but I'm so genuinely convinced we'll sneak it.

We've got some poor performances out of the way and Utd are beatable. Is it likely, no. Is it doable, most definitely yes. It'll only take them to have one of their off days - which are more regular now and some luck and you just never know.

I think a lot will depend on Sheaf and Eccles. They're our key players, breaking up play, protecting the back 3/5 and starting attacks. Sheaf channeled his inner Xavi vs Wolves. Another one of those and a good performance from Eccles and it'll help massively.

One things for sure...this team can spring positive results when we've needed them (bar Luton, obvs) and I'm confident that we can add Sunday to the list of amazing wins under MR.
It's definitely doable, I think I'm partly insulating myself against defeat because I didn't against Luton and it was horrible lol

I think as much as we're likely to raise our game, players like Rashford, Garnacho and Fernandes will too because it's Wembley etc. I don't think we'll get blown away, I just think there'll be a couple of moments where the top Prem quality comes out. Trying not to come across as pessimistic, I'm really excited and think it'll be a great occasion and first half at least we'll be right in it.

SkyBlueSoul

Some useful info from the Wembley site

Stadium access

The fixture between Coventry City and Manchester United kicks-off at 15:30
General admission to the stadium will be available from 13:30.
Doors for hospitality will open one hour earlier at 12:30.

Fan Zones

On Sunday, the Coventry City fan zone is located on the West Concourse area of the stadium and the Manchester United fan zone is on the East side of the stadium.

The fan zones will be open from 11.00 and stop serving alcohol one hour before kick-off.

Supporters will need to present a valid stadium ticket to enter the area which has a limited capacity. The stadium’s bag policy also applies to anyone visiting the fan zone.

SkyBlueSoul

If United play Rashford left wing, MVE has to play right back, Lati will get destroyed by his pace.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I think he'll play both and be 5ATB out of possession so we can double up on the wingers, but MvE pushes up into RW and Lati to RB when we've got the ball.

Collins

MVE
BT
Kitching
Binks
Bidwell

Eccles
Sheaf

O'Hare

Wright
Simms

Just got this massive feeling Binks will start and I have no idea why.

1-1, 2-1 city in ET lets have it!

Otis

Collins

MVE
BT
Kitching
Binks
Bidwell

Eccles
Sheaf

O'Hare

Wright
Simms

et GIF

AOM

Someone on the CWR phone-in last night was saying that Man Utd have only lost a few games this season against teams that were playing a back 3, but lost 16 against teams that play a back 4.
I'm going to assume it's true, but thought it was interesting

rexo87

Collins

MVE
BT
Kitching
Binks
Bidwell

Eccles
Sheaf

O'Hare

Wright
Simms

I’ve got a feeling this could be the side. Ohare will need to be a bit deeper almost making a flat 3 in midfield. Then we can go a bit more direct into the channels for Simms and Wright. Hopefully the latter shows a bit more interest than last Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David O'Day

That's
Someone on the CWR phone-in last night was saying that Man Utd have only lost a few games this season against teams that were playing a back 3, but lost 16 against teams that play a back 4.
I'm going to assume it's true, but thought it was interesting
if true likely to be mainly because in the PL there are very few teams that play 3 at the back, Brentford and Brighton sometimes and Wolves are the only 3 I can think of.

skybluecam

Sadly I think it’s time to bring Wilson back in😬

O’hare has to start and I’m very very grateful Palmer got himself suspended after his shambolic display last week.

We have a big problem with the Barnsley trio that will need to be addressed in the summer.

Torp and Tavares belong with the u23s.

No preference in regards to back 4 or back 3 but the 11 picks itself.

Coventry 1-6 Manchester United

1. No. Collins is better at everything.

2. Stupid comment.

3. No we don't, they should all be starting next season.

4. Torp doesn't. Just isn't used to the pace of the game yet.

5. Has to be a back 4.

6. Nah.

Users who are viewing this thread