Coventry City v Luton Town - Championship playoff final - 27th May 2023 - Wembley Stadium (4 Viewers)

Briles

Morning All , 2 days to go . How's everyone in the sky blue city today?

I've got calmer and calmer with each game since the final day. I'm almost certain we will win in normal time. Ask me again Saturday and I'll be a mess no doubt

Brighton Sky Blue

Just can't shake it from my head that we are winning this, which i guess will make it even more painful if we don't. I know everyone has underestimated Luton but this isn't your standard play off finalist, a parachute payment or a sugar daddy team with players than can pull you to pieces, this is a very solid well drilled outfit who know their jobs who i fully believe we can beat. We too are extremely well drilled and in Gyok and Hamer have arguably the 2 stand out players on the pitch, i'm hoping they will be the difference makers. I just cannot see us getting a better opportunity than this for many years.

It’s weird but the composure of their manager makes me more nervous

Sky_Blue_Daz

I have an official match worn Colin Hawkins shirt from the 2007/08 season was gonna wear that Saturday. Its actually a bit loose on me so in theory I have the body of an athlete

SeaSeeEffCee

Just can't shake it from my head that we are winning this, which i guess will make it even more painful if we don't. I know everyone has underestimated Luton but this isn't your standard play off finalist, a parachute payment or a sugar daddy team with players than can pull you to pieces, this is a very solid well drilled outfit who know their jobs who i fully believe we can beat. We too are extremely well drilled and in Gyok and Hamer have arguably the 2 stand out players on the pitch, i'm hoping they will be the difference makers. I just cannot see us getting a better opportunity than this for many years.
I’m the opposite. Can’t shake the idea that we’re definitely going to lose. I was feeling the same before Middlesbrough though tbf, I was so expectant of a loss in that second leg that I was feeling completely relaxed in the build up. Only when we scored that I started shitting it 😂

Grendel

If we lose I give you about 5 minutes after full time to post a ‘missed opportunity’ thread

Not really but people need to get out of a mindset this is a bonus - it’s a winner take all shoot out and we are against an opposition we could beat. No one says it’s easy but both clubs fortunes will potentially substantially change for ever

Brighton Sky Blue

Not really but people need to get out of a mindset this is a bonus - it’s a winner take all shoot out and we are against an opposition we could beat. No one says it’s easy but both clubs fortunes will potentially substantially change for ever

They will but our unexpected arrival in the final has delayed you hitting send on what I presume is an oven ready thread to say how we’ve missed a chance in a weaker division.

shmmeee

But equally it’s not the end of the world if we lose. We’ve made incredible progress and I wouldn’t expect that to stop when we should have a decent kitty from Vik and probably Gus sales.

If we lose I fully expect us to be up there next season, probably even do what Luton have done and finish 3rd.

Torquay Sky Blue

If we lose we sell Vik and Gus for shit loads and build a very strong squad, capable of going up and hanging around for a bit.
It's the ultimate negative to positive

covcity4life

But equally it’s not the end of the world if we lose. We’ve made incredible progress and I wouldn’t expect that to stop when we should have a decent kitty from Vik and probably Gus sales.

If we lose I fully expect us to be up there next season, probably even do what Luton have done and finish 3rd.
Not sure we can expect to be back up there

Colin Steins Smile

It'll be a tough one to make the play offs next season with the number of clubs with parachute payments, which generally means they'll fill the majority of the top 6 places. Potentially, Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Watford.

SeaSeeEffCee

I agree with the sentiment that this feels like it could be our best chance for a long while, which also adds to the sheer nerves felt at the moment.

We will undoubtedly get a fair amount of money for Gyokeres and Hamer in the summer, but those two have been so vital to our success and they way that we play that replacing them is going to be nigh on impossible. Take this opportunity and the entire trajectory of the club will be changed completely. Only need to look at clubs like Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth etc. to see how much the Premier League money can change things.

coop

Read in the sun that the Luton chairman is planning for the Man city players and others to go through the Shit way put says they will probably give it a lick of paint.

CovInEssex

It'll be nice to potentially hear the other side of the ground and see it full too. Exeter had about 10k didn't they?

The past visits we may as well have been there on our own

CCFC_Irish

I do not think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The key to Coventry's success isn't down to Vik or Gus, it is down to Mark Robins who has consistently improved the team year on year. He is now tied down to a contract for the next few years and even without promotion he has turned players into huge financial assets. If he and his team identified Gus and Vik with a limited budget what are they going to do with a bit of money in the bank?

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s what everybody said last season.

Assuming Everton get what they need against Bournemouth, you’d expect strong seasons from:

Leeds
Lesta
Southampton
Boro
Sunderland
Norwich
Millwall
Blackburn
Ipswich

This discounting West Brom and Swansea too. If we made the top 6 again in that context I’d be surprised and chuffed in equal measure

Skyblueweeman

It'll be a tough one to make the play offs next season with the number of clubs with parachute payments, which generally means they'll fill the majority of the top 6 places. Potentially, Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Watford.

I'm sure we say this every season though. 'Next season will be tougher', 'The clubs coming down are too strong', 'The clubs coming up are strong and will do well'.

Every season.

But every season, at least one of the clubs who comes down, doesn't do as well as everyone expects (hi Norwich).

If we don't go up, we don't have any right to be in the POs next season but I don't subscribe the the mindset that next season will be tougher based on the teams coming down. It'll be tougher as we'll no doubt lose our two best players and although MR will no doubt have cash to spend, there's no guarantee new signings will work or be as effective as Gyo/Gus.

No a dig at your post per se, more about the notion.

shmmeee

Assuming Everton get what they need against Bournemouth, you’d expect strong seasons from:

Leeds
Lesta
Southampton
Boro
Sunderland
Norwich
Millwall
Blackburn
Ipswich

This discounting West Brom and Swansea too. If we made the top 6 again in that context I’d be surprised and chuffed in equal measure

Yeah heard it all before TBH. There’s no guarantees at this level. Last season everyone was listing teams that were way better than us and they most finished below us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah heard it all before TBH. There’s no guarantees at this level. Last season everyone was listing teams that were way better than us and they most finished below us.

Sure, but we’ll see how the summer goes first. Hopefully our performance this season helps with recruitment anyway. Plus the extra boost of the 5000 people paying £500 at once.

Sky Blue Pete

Leeds
Lesta
Southampton
Boro
Sunderland
Norwich
Millwall
Blackburn
Ipswich

Plymouth and sheff wed too

Users who are viewing this thread