Match Thread Coventry City - Rotherham United FC Match Thread - Tuesday 5th Mar (5 Viewers)

Boicey

Rotherham are bottom of the league and bottom of the form table. They are dead in the water with hardly anything to play for.
We can’t cock this one up. Can we??

skyblue_55

They have been another of our banana skins over the years & this seasons easy 3 pointer at theirs , went horribly wrong , so even with them being rock bottom, I would expect city to make hard work of this game ….. 1 - 0

bawtryneal

I had the pleasure of being invited to the Rotherham v Sheff Wed game yesterday. Absolutely dire and if we can’t beat Rotherham by at least 2-0 I will be very disappointed.
They have no attacking options and can’t defend set prices and a deflated squad.
Wednesday battled hard but very poor.
An early goal for us should see them off !!

Great_Expectations

Back to 4-3-3, with Wrigth and Palmer on the wings.

We have to win, to at least keep things interesting for a few more games. Ending the season with nothing to play for is the height of boredom.

Boicey

The crowd will probably be a bit prickly for this one. High expectations, probably a slighty flat atmosphere and with low away support. We need a few players to ‘spark’ early on.
That’s where we really miss Sakamoto who is usually a live wire.

Boicey

I’d pick

Collins
MVE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Kelly
Eccles Torp
Ohare Simms Wright
Probably our best team atm that.
Dont think he’ll play Bidwell or Kelly and he’ll probably play Palmer, Jds.
Kitching no idea what Robins thinks about him tbh. Or Collins!

Sick Boy

Probably our best team atm that.
Dont think he’ll play Bidwell or Kelly and he’ll probably play Palmer, Jds.
Kitching no idea what Robins thinks about him tbh. Or Collins!
It’s weird we spent £4m on a player to just sit on the bench. Fully expecting JDS and Wilson to start as well.

CCFCSteve

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Torp
O’Hare Palmer Wright
Simms

Don’t want to see five at the back again.

Pretty much this. If we wanted to be extra solid maybe drop Kelly in with ohare or palmer on bench if they need a rest

edit - just seen speedie already said something similar

Otis

I didn't realise they were an incredible 19 points short of safety. 😱

Gone already haven't they. Nowt to play for.

We get the first goal and their heads are surely going to drop like a lead balloon.

Grendel

I didn't realise they were an incredible 19 points short of safety. 😱

Gone already haven't they. Nowt to play for.

We get the first goal and their heads are surely going to drop like a lead balloon.

They’ve only got 4 points away from home - all draws - scored 13 and conceded 43

Marty

Must win game. No excuses, had a long weekend to recover and they're utter shite.

I'd go back to a more settled team for the run in. Go back to a back 4 and bring in Collins, Kitching, Bidwell. I'd go for Kelly and Torp in the middle, Kelly gives us a bit more bite in the midfield. Wright, O'Hare and Palmer behind Simms.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Simms works better as a solo up front with wide players running off him I’d seriously start Tavares on the Right this game and Haji on the left with Palmer in CAM. You can all laugh but we need to play to our players strengths, Haji’s strength is cutting in and hitting the line, Simms strength is link up play and being that number 9, Palmer works well with players running forward with him at different angles for him to distribute or have a pop. Having 4 up there allows Torp to pup up with more space, and Kelly sitting enables the balance, and the Full backs to push on. That gets the same amount of players forward as the 5 back but more efficiently and more to our teams strengths.
For me Kitching has to start I like Binks bit Kitch nits the backline together I think, Gotta be Bidwell - Kitching - Thomas - Lati.
MvE to come on later he needs a rest.

fernandopartridge

Simms works better as a solo up front with wide players running off him I’d seriously start Tavares on the Right this game and Haji on the left with Palmer in CAM. You can all laugh but we need to play to our players strengths, Haji’s strength is cutting in and hitting the line, Simms strength is link up play and being that number 9, Palmer works well with players running forward with him at different angles for him to distribute or have a pop. Having 4 up there allows Torp to pup up with more space, and Kelly sitting enables the balance, and the Full backs to push on. That gets the same amount of players forward as the 5 back but more efficiently and more to our teams strengths.
For me Kitching has to start I like Binks bit Kitch nits the backline together I think, Gotta be Bidwell - Kitching - Thomas - Lati.
MvE to come on later he needs a rest.
Tavares is not the answer at all

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Tavares is not the answer at all

At 2-0, I went to the loo after the goal like many and this weird thing happened…

… everyone become an expert football manager.

‘Why play 5 at the back?’
‘Why not play Tavares?’

Tavares is not good enough to be a starter at Championship level. Maybe you could play Palmer, MVE and Wright on the wings - but it’s square pegs in round holes.

Without smelling my own fart, I did say a few weeks ago that the reason 4-2-3-1 works is because of Sakamoto. Without him, we have to play 3-4-1-2.

I don’t like it, I said after Sheff Weds in the cup that 3-4-1-2 was ‘dead’ but the best team we can field until the end of the season is 3-4-1-2/the box.

For me, we need to go back to what made us successful last season. Absorb pressure and hit teams on the counter with direct football. That said, I’m not sure we can do that with this set of players.

shmmeee

At 2-0, I went to the loo after the goal like many and this weird thing happened…

… everyone become an expert football manager.

‘Why play 5 at the back?’
‘Why not play Tavares?’

Tavares is not good enough to be a starter at Championship level. Maybe you could play Palmer, MVE and Wright on the wings - but it’s square pegs in round holes.

Without smelling my own fart, I did say a few weeks ago that the reason 4-2-3-1 works is because of Sakamoto. Without him, we have to play 3-4-1-2.

I don’t like it, I said after Sheff Weds in the cup that 3-4-1-2 was ‘dead’ but the best team we can field until the end of the season is 3-4-1-2/the box.

For me, we need to go back to what made us successful last season. Absorb pressure and hit teams on the counter with direct football. That said, I’m not sure we can do that with this set of players.

We are missing the two players that made that possible. We have no one with the speed of thought and execution of Hamer for a quick counter or the strength and quality of Vik to fight on his own up front and drag us up the pitch. We are also lacking the grit and organisation of Fadz at the back along with the quality of Doyle.

If we sit back and try and soak up pressure we concede. If we play five at the back the midfield don’t get on the ball and we play U shaped passes along the back five until we lose it or lump it.

We might be able to get to a point where we can use the ball playing 532 (and it is 532 not 352 cos our WBs come deep, and we end up with 54——1), but it’s not going to happen from here in the next ten games.

We have sheaf back soon. We have lots of players who can fill in at RW, I’d use O’Hare personally, it makes no sense to put 8-9 players out of their comfort zone rather than 1.

stupot07

------------------collins
MVE--Thomas-Kitcing--Bidwell
-------------kelly--Torp
Eccles----O'Hare-------Wright
----------------Simms

Or Simms on the right and Godden up top. Only 1 player playing out of position, and Eccles has played wingback so should be able to do a job on the right.

Mucca Mad Boys

We are missing the two players that made that possible. We have no one with the speed of thought and execution of Hamer for a quick counter or the strength and quality of Vik to fight on his own up front and drag us up the pitch. We are also lacking the grit and organisation of Fadz at the back along with the quality of Doyle.

If we sit back and try and soak up pressure we concede. If we play five at the back the midfield don’t get on the ball and we play U shaped passes along the back five until we lose it or lump it.

We might be able to get to a point where we can use the ball playing 532 (and it is 532 not 352 cos our WBs come deep, and we end up with 54——1), but it’s not going to happen from here in the next ten games.

We have sheaf back soon. We have lots of players who can fill in at RW, I’d use O’Hare personally, it makes no sense to put 8-9 players out of their comfort zone rather than 1.
I agree on the points about Vik and Hamer. However, I do think putting balls in behind defences for Simms and Wright could work. My doubts are whether the team can execute those kind of counter attacking passes - we couldn’t on Friday.

COH, Palmer, MVE and Tavares are not wingers - it isn’t going to work. Sakamoto was more or less the main reason 4-2-3-1 worked.

WBA are a good team, we didn’t struggle because we changed formation.

messiahrobins

Could do with winning 4 or 5-0 here as goal difference could be absolutely crucial.

Therefore
Wilson
Latabadieure Binks Kitching Bidwell
Torp Kelly
Simms Palmer Wright
Godden

People may have forgot but away at Preston Simms arguably had one of his best games for us and he was out wide. I have left MVE and Thomas out as for me they both need a kick up the rear end and dropping them may do that.

Users who are viewing this thread