Coventry City of Culture 2021 (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The city should be stripped of hosting this as the football club has been kicked out...

As fans we should of done more to get this into the press & limelight.

You do realise culture goes way beyond a football team don't you? Would you have expected Hull to be stripped of it because the owner wanted to change the name to Hull Tigers? Or if a local theatre shut down?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There can be no doubt that the likes of the Botanist ,Cosy Culb ect are a vast improvement , but they don't have many customers as , the Culture of the citizens of Coventry is not to use the city centre , Cathedral Lanes has only swopped places with Sky dome, Mortimer's, Orange house ect, yes a upgrade but to be vibrant you need them all . Quids inn even the Cambell or what ever its called now is no where near as busy as the premier place for all the students in coventry , Take out all the student stuff from the video and where are the places for the citizens of Coventry to go , where's the night clubs or club for the 30/40 year olds to go , only 5 or 6 pubs in the city center with a population of nearly 300000, show live sport and of them, only a couple would you want to take a friend. go to cov train station on a Friday and Saturday night and see how many people are going over to brum for a night out, and now go on a Saturday morning to see how many are going to brum for football , its heart breaking if you have set the bar so low for a night out in your own city, with such a big population

CL hasn't swapped places with the SkyDome at all - it's going for a very different market.

It's about way more than having a night out.

Grendel

You do realise culture goes way beyond a football team don't you? Would you have expected Hull to be stripped of it because the owner wanted to change the name to Hull Tigers? Or if a local theatre shut down?

Shutting a theatre down is hardly the same.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Shutting a theatre down is hardly the same.

It was just used as an example. Could be a museum/gallery or whatever But over the course of a year there are theatres that would have more patrons overall than the football team (admittedly over more performances) so I think it is worthwhile as a comparison.

But as your reply suggests no-one would think this worthy of 'stripping' a city of its City of Culture status. So why due to a football team? We didn't even get stripped of City of Sport which is far more relevant.

Philosorapter

The thought of Ann Lucas apologising for a year is kind of appealing.

Covkid1968#

Or longer until people actually give a shit about it
We all need to give a shit.... otherwise this great City will continue its downward spiral... it’s an opportunity.... give it a chance... give it some backing TGP

Brylowes

Or longer until people actually give a shit about it
There is no doubt the political climate of the last forty years, has left large swathes of Towns & City’s ‘such as Coventry In a very downbeat and Neglected state, they are no longer needed to serve the purpose for which
they were created.
The requirement for Centers of ‘predominantly working class people‘ to provide the Labour force needed to fuel an economy reliant on industry, manufacturing and mineral resources ‘has passend, but the population remains.

Everyone must surely by now realise, that the ‘powers that be’ aren't remotely interested in addressing this
Situation ‘So therefore it’s down to the local population itself ‘to do all it can to improve its own lot.

Things like this “Capital of Culture” are rare opportunities that should be both encouraged and grasped with
both hands IMHO

clint van damme

There is no doubt the political climate of the last forty years, has left large swathes of Towns & City’s ‘such as Coventry In a very downbeat and Neglected state, they are no longer needed to serve the purpose for which
they were created.
The requirement for Centers of ‘predominantly working class people‘ to provide the Labour force needed to fuel an economy reliant on industry, manufacturing and mineral resources ‘has passend, but the population remains.

Everyone must surely by now realise, that the ‘powers that be’ aren't remotely interested in addressing this
Situation ‘So therefore it’s down to the local population itself ‘to do all it can to improve its own lot.

Things like this “Capital of Culture” are rare opportunities that should be both encouraged and grasped with
both hands IMHO

I agree. No fan of the council, and their attempt to airbrush the sky blues from the city's history leaves a sour taste but it's time to look at the bigger picture.

Sods law that COVID comes along and potentially throws a spanner in the works of both this and Citys promotion bid. Typical Cov!

pipkin73

Cov win the FA Cup but don't qualify for Europe due to ban on english clubs.
Cov get relegated but a great big new TV deal for Championship clubs, ITV collapse and we get sod all and increase debt.
Cov in form and pulling ahead to get promoted back to Championship, COVID hits and (might stop us).
Seems like we are just cursed.
Tell you what, the next time we go up or down i'm buying insurance.

Brylowes

Cov win the FA Cup but don't qualify for Europe due to ban on english clubs.
Cov get relegated but a great big new TV deal for Championship clubs, ITV collapse and we get sod all and increase debt.
Cov in form and pulling ahead to get promoted back to Championship, COVID hits and (might stop us).
Seems like we are just cursed.
Tell you what, the next time we go up or down i'm buying insurance.
Well if you do buy insurance ‘and then something does happen :emoji_thinking: It’s just
Gonna add to your list of disappointments, trust me.

Nick

Administrator
I don't get it, who's going to go and do a big shop in the city centre? How do you get your trolley back to your car?

Otis

To be totally fair, Iceland were doing a big giveaway and offers for the first customers.

I don't think there would be such a queue otherwise.

Grendel

To be totally fair, Iceland were doing a big giveaway and offers for the first customers.

I don't think there would be such a queue otherwise.

I had to pay a cheque in the other week - I know you champion the place but christ it’s a dump

Grendel

Did you go via the Pink Parrot? I didn't know cheques were still a thing.

Inland revenue for businesses they certainly are - which I’m sure is a tactic in itself and the other problem is out of town banks no longer exist

Otis

I had to pay a cheque in the other week - I know you champion the place but christ it’s a dump
Well, I love it and I think it's now a city on the up at long last.

Give me Coventry over Maidstone any day of the week.

Even the people in Maidstone don't like Maidstone. 😂

Nick

Administrator
Inland revenue for businesses they certainly are - which I’m sure is a tactic in itself and the other problem is out of town banks no longer exist

Guessing they hope you can't be bothered...

Reminds me of the scam from Lock Stock (I think), refund people with a cheque from a company with the name about arse ticklers and see how many pay it in.

Terry Gibson's perm

Me and my mum used to. Walk back to Hillfields from Sainsburys in town, my mum carrying about 8 bags and me whinging.

My grandma did her shop there as well as it was the easiest to get a bus to.

Nick

Administrator
Me and my mum used to. Walk back to Hillfields from Sainsburys in town, my mum carrying about 8 bags and me whinging.

She has more minerals than me, I'd have given up by the time I got near the colly and eaten it all.

Grendel

skyblue1991

Guessing they hope you can't be bothered...

Reminds me of the scam from Lock Stock (I think), refund people with a cheque from a company with the name about arse ticklers and see how many pay it in.
To confirm it was called Arse Tickler's Faggot Fan Club. Weren't a bad idea if time wasn't against them!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread