Coventry City Ladies. (1 Viewer)

italiahorse

Not really irrelevant is it? A team representing Coventry who have in the past played their bigger games at the Ricoh have now been told they can't play there anymore. I haven't heard the interview but if that is correct then I think questions need to be asked of ACL.

So your interest in the ladies team solely relates to an issue they 'might' have with ACL ?

chiefdave

So your interest in the ladies team solely relates to an issue they 'might' have with ACL ?

No and at no point have I, or anyone else, said that. What I have said is that if what is stated on this thread is correct and ACL refused to allow Coventry City Ladies to play any further matches at the Ricoh, which as far as I know is new information, they have questions to answer.

Whilst it is a somewhat separate issue to the rebranding of the side as it is new information that was revealed at the same time it is clearly relevant to the thread.

stupot07

Must. Not. Criticise. Wasps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

How much funding are cov United putting on to sustain CCFCL?

I can't imagine it costs a huge amount to run the ladies side. Are any of their players full time and salaried? If they aren't then the costs are surely in line with the likes of Sphinx. Would have thought if they made it known they needed backing and started a fundraising drive they wouldn't need to resort to a total rebranding.

Its not like this has come after months or years of them saying they have financial difficulties or are in danger or ceasing to exist.

trondegilsoltvedt97

I'm sure there was a bucket collection at a game last season and a page in each programme I bought with Ladies reports etc. Suppose that will all stop now!

chiefdave

I'm sure there was a bucket collection at a game last season and a page in each programme I bought with Ladies reports etc. Suppose that will all stop now!

Would also expect it will bring an end to the promotion the trust did on behalf of the ladies team.

What happens if and when we get new owners if they are big supporters of womens football and start a new womens side under the Coventry City banner with the full backing of the club? I suspect in most peoples eyes they would be the primary womens side in the city.

LJC_CCFC

Now if everyone could continue to pump their negative energy into this thread and away from the club, TM and the players that would great.

Nick

Administrator
Is this where people start to act like they really care about the women's team as a chance to have a SISU rant?

Macca

I agree with Nick. I ve never taken the slightest bit of interest in them before and not going to start crying about it now.
I already know that SISU are a bunch of James

Terry Gibson's perm

Don't care either way but wouldn't want any of our precious funds diverted to pay for their stuff.

The Lurker

Is this where people start to act like they really care about the women's team as a chance to have a SISU rant?

Bit like wasps rugby. No-one cared about Cov rugby in general before the move. But so long some on here have an excuse to council bash. Same thing don't you think?

Grendel

There is another ladies team in the premiere league and that one had to manage to fund longer trips as its a southern division team - until next season when it swaps with Coventry United.

skybluetony176

No and at no point have I, or anyone else, said that. What I have said is that if what is stated on this thread is correct and ACL refused to allow Coventry City Ladies to play any further matches at the Ricoh, which as far as I know is new information, they have questions to answer.

Whilst it is a somewhat separate issue to the rebranding of the side as it is new information that was revealed at the same time it is clearly relevant to the thread.

I think they should let the ladies play there.

If only so you can moan about the state of the pitch come February because too many teams are playing on it.

Grendel

Given all the people so interested in the team i thought one would have explained by now why this has been done

The northern league, where they were last season, is where they prefer for geography to play. By opting Bedworth as their ground they were the southernmost team in that league.

The other team from Coventry have moved north of Bedworth and swapped leagues next season.

So the team wanted a partnership with someone to help fund the extra travelling. Coventry United fit the bill I assume. They were banned from playing at the Ricoh and so had nowhere in Coventry to play. The article doesn't say if they have managed to get a ground in Coventry but that and the funding was what they were after.

lifeskyblue

I think it's a real shame. Top clubs are increasingly seeing value in developing a strong ladies team alongside the men. And after the women's World Cup the profile of women's football will continue to develop. Coventry City are now giving up on this area of the game. Will junior and U19 boys/men etc follow. Good luck to CULFC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shakeitup

Would also expect it will bring an end to the promotion the trust did on behalf of the ladies team.

What happens if and when we get new owners if they are big supporters of womens football and start a new womens side under the Coventry City banner with the full backing of the club? I suspect in most peoples eyes they would be the primary womens side in the city.

Not necessarily. Glasgow City Ladies FC are far bigger than any other team in Glasgow, or Scotland for that matter. Having done well in the Champions League to boot.

If the ladies team in Coventry can get good infrastructure to train, develop and then maintain the best talent, I am sure they could do well.

Your point about changing team name, colours and badge would certainly hold more weight with mens' football. Let's not kid ourselves. Football in the UK is very tribal. With the evolution of the majority of mens' teams coming from factories or industry, it has created a sense of connection to communities, colours etc. that isn't the same anywhere else in the world. (Other countries may have passionate fans, lots of symbolism etc. but the development of the game and the social class it represents is very different!) This point is not valid for the ladies' game or for the majority of people who will go to support them.

As others have said, it was probably make this change or cease to exist!

Good luck to 'em I say!

Wheelfass

Besides the debate about Coventry City FC or Sisu V the Women's football team, Im just wondering about how the move could benifit Coventry United.
Women's football is getting some good press at the moment because the World Cup has raised the profile of their game. More and more people are getting interested and are tuning in to watch their games and in return I'm sure they're being entertained. If Coventry United are serious about their ambitions then having a successful ladies team playing under their banner and in their name and colours would make for some good publicity. I think it's a shrewd and clever move by them and one that CCFC could end up regretting for not taking a bit more interest in themselves.

Terry Gibson's perm

Besides the debate about Coventry City FC or Sisu V the Women's football team, Im just wondering about how the move could benifit Coventry United.
Women's football is getting some good press at the moment because the World Cup has raised the profile of their game. More and more people are getting interested and are tuning in to watch their games and in return I'm sure they're being entertained. If Coventry United are serious about their ambitions then having a successful ladies team playing under their banner and in their name and colours would make for some good publicity. I think it's a shrewd and clever move by them and one that CCFC could end up regretting for not taking a bit more interest in themselves.

the profile has Ben raised post World Cup but I think it will drop away again, it's a bit like during the Olympics everybody loves the curling but nobody watches it after and a little bit like Wimbeldon you won't get a court anywhere for the next few weeks then in September they are all empty again.

people have enjoyed it because it is what has been available to watch the real stuff starts again soon

stupot07

really? .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

matesx

Hardly anyone gives a toss abour womens foitball.
Sorry but its true.

LJC_CCFC

Certainly won't be detrimental to their quest will it.

I can categorically say it will have no positive effect either. Coventry United are a nonentity anyway, why create a 'phoenix club' or a club of that ilk when the original team still exists.

If anything the sponsorship from Coventry United makes the Ladies team look even more tinpot than it already is. Add to this the fact that there is a lot of realistic talk about women's teams becoming compulsory for more football clubs. With this all the Ladies side are doing is leaving themselves open to be replaced if such a ruling is brought in.

Wheelfass

And in English please.
Sorry....
A short sited and inconcidered response.
This isn't a yard stick to what our once mighty club can be measured against but it's something that is worth those with a modicum of grey matter should think about. Don't you think it's a positive move to expand what we have rather than to give it away to what could be a rival?

LJC_CCFC

Sorry....
A short sited and inconcidered response.
This isn't a yard stick to what our once mighty club can be measured against but it's something that is worth those with a modicum of grey matter should think about. Don't you think it's a positive move to expand what we have rather than to give it away to what could be a rival?

If it were, say one of our youth sides, the training ground or Sky Blue Sam I might agree with you. I never really felt that the ladies team and CCFC were that connected baring the name and what little sponsor was offered before this move. When you say 'rival', they're a long long way off that and realistically will never get to football league level, let alone the lower echelons of the Non-League ladder. At the end of the day the majority - let's say 95% of fans - don't give a toss about the ladies side and I really don't see what positives it could bring to CCFC. It would be an association with CCFC that would be the only positive, and that would be for the Ladies team, not us. Perhaps a small minority of people that support Cov ladies will be outraged with the disassociation and will start turning up to watch Sunday League standard instead of CCFC.

Wheelfass

If it were, say one of our youth sides, the training ground or Sky Blue Sam I might agree with you. I never really felt that the ladies team and CCFC were that connected baring the name and what little sponsor was offered before this move. When you say 'rival', they're a long long way off that and realistically will never get to football league level, let alone the lower echelons of the Non-League ladder. At the end of the day the majority - let's say 95% of fans - don't give a toss about the ladies side and I really don't see what positives it could bring to CCFC. It would be an association with CCFC that would be the only positive, and that would be for the Ladies team, not us. Perhaps a small minority of people that support Cov ladies will be outraged with the disassociation and will start turning up to watch Sunday League standard instead of CCFC.
I bow to your obvious superior knowledge and life experience in this matter. Coventry City Football Club (according to you) would never for one moment benefit from a strong and successful ladies team.

LJC_CCFC

I bow to your obvious superior knowledge and life experience in this matter. Coventry City Football Club (according to you) would never for one moment benefit from a strong and successful ladies team.

There are benefits from a female participation in football point of view. Tell me specifically the advantages to CCFC then?

James Smith

Or Wasps as the owners of the Ricoh lease are also now known.

Users who are viewing this thread