Coventry City in the top flight (1 Viewer)

In your opinion, without getting into a debate about SISU/Sixfields , do you think you will see Coventry back playing in the top tier during your lifetime?

I do not think I will see them in the top tier however I doubt Wigan, swansea and cardiff fans in recent years thought they would be playing top tier football.

SkyBlueScottie

To initially survive the club needs to be able to live within its means and produce players from the Academy. Pressley is currently changing the ethos around the club and that can only be a good thing but for the perception of the club to change he needs to remain in charge for a long while. To get back to the premiership is now a different ball game. Aside from Swansea all of the others have had investment to get them up there. That level of investment is rising each year. I reckon our best hope would be to sneak in via the play offs.

italiahorse

In your opinion, without getting into a debate about SISU/Sixfields , do you think you will see Coventry back playing in the top tier during your lifetime?

I do not think I will see them in the top tier however I doubt Wigan, swansea and cardiff fans in recent years thought they would be playing top tier football.

Southampton and Norwich have been here recently, so no reason it could not be done,
We need a ground to do it and that relies on getting back to the Ricoh.
5 years out in Northampton gathering debt and then potential poor crowds unable to pay it back, then NO.

A friend of mine may just about make it if it's this year.
Planning for their ashes to be put in the plot at the Ricoh, but hey, who cares.

stupot07

Southampton and Norwich have been here recently, so no reason it could not be done,
We need a ground to do it and that relies on getting back to the Ricoh.
5 years out in Northampton gathering debt and then potential poor crowds unable to pay it back, then NO.

A friend of mine may just about make it if it's this year.
Planning for their ashes to be put in the plot at the Ricoh, but hey, who cares.

People keep mentioning Southampton they got promoted from the Championship with a wage bill that was approx 3x our entire turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

The Gentleman

To initially survive the club needs to be able to live within its means and produce players from the Academy. Pressley is currently changing the ethos around the club and that can only be a good thing but for the perception of the club to change he needs to remain in charge for a long while. To get back to the premiership is now a different ball game. Aside from Swansea all of the others have had investment to get them up there. That level of investment is rising each year. I reckon our best hope would be to sneak in via the play offs.

Sorry but to be able to sneak in through the playoffs we have to be able to reach there first. Even the shining light of Man U with their ethos of youth and their academy had massive investment in the team too. The problem with just using the academy is that anything good that we produce will ultimately be sold on and therefore keeping us in the position we currently find ourselves in. Can you tell me again what level of investment we have had recently in free's and loans, cuts in playing staff, removing us from our home and therefore reducing the amount of ticket money we receive and the one person who built the academy leaving us for pastures new, because i'm racking my brains and I am struggling...........

letsallsingtogether

Sadly No. will be lucky to stay in the Championship if we ever get promotion.

Spionkop

My dad is 87. Travelled over a hundred miles for each home game for years. I swear I saw a tear in his eye when he finally realised in August he might never see his team again. I'd told him all summer over the phone what Sisu were planning - he told me they'd never do it. When it became clear what they'd done....I've never seen him emotional like that in my life.
All those years from the late 1950s I've spent with him, on trains, buses, the backs of vans, in our cars, to Plymouth, Bury, you name it. All gone. And this will be the same story all over the city and surrounds.
That's what Sisu have done.
At the moment we have more chance of going out of the league. Pressley and the better players won't put up with this for long.
Cyrus - would you like to play in front of 15,000 in the Championship and triple your wages?
Callum - would you like to play in front of 25,000 in the Premier League and earn ten times what you're earning now?
Elvis - you get the picture.....
No chance with Sisu. Not in a million years.

hill83

Impossible to (edit: For me) answer. We could be liquidated in 2 months or we could go on a 50 game winning streak.
Might as well ask do you reckon you'll get a brain tumour before you are 50.

Last edited:

Astute

When we were in Div 1 I would never had believed we would drop as low as Div 3. Now we are in Div 3 it is hard to see a way back to where we were. But once SISUE either stop their stupid games with our club or just go we should be able to get back to the championship. Our income should give us the advantage over the vast majority of clubs in this division. Then all that is needed is one good season.

RedSalmon

I have already come to accept that CCFC will never again play in the top flight within my life time.

Very upsetting.

hill83

My dad is 87. Travelled over a hundred miles for each home game for years. I swear I saw a tear in his eye when he finally realised in August he might never see his team again. I'd told him all summer over the phone what Sisu were planning - he told me they'd never do it. When it became clear what they'd done....I've never seen him emotional like that in my life.
All those years from the late 1950s I've spent with him, on trains, buses, the backs of vans, in our cars, to Plymouth, Bury, you name it. All gone. And this will be the same story all over the city and surrounds.
At the moment we have more chance of going out of the league. Pressley and the better players won't put up with this for long.
Cyrus - would you like to play in front of 15,000 in the Championship and triple your wages?
Callum - would you like to play in front of 25,000 in the Premier League and earn ten times what you're earning now?

My dad refuses to even talk about the club anymore as it gets him too angry. So the pair of us are dangerously close to having nothing to talk about.
I miss going to games with him.

skybluebal

When we were in Div 1 I would never had believed we would drop as low as Div 3. Now we are in Div 3 it is hard to see a way back to where we were. But once SISUE either stop their stupid games with our club or just go we should be able to get back to the championship. Our income should give us the advantage over the vast majority of clubs in this division. Then all that is needed is one good season.

Thats nice and clear - the FL can dress it up anyway they want by calling it League 1 - we are in the Division 3 !

As to income - I agree, we have a strong fan base that should provide good income compared with other clubs who have been stuck in and around this division for the time they have. The longer the club owners continue with keeping us in Northampton, the worse the situation will become for them and for us. Being pig-headed (all parties) means everyone loses, best that everyone comes out with something that can be built on otherwise there will be no way back as generations will be lost to other clubs.

SkyblueBazza

People keep mentioning Southampton they got promoted from the Championship with a wage bill that was approx 3x our entire turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

...& pre-FFP so the good old spend spend spend policy was available to clubs too.

SkyblueBazza

Heart-breaking & gut-wrenching stuff.
All in the pursuit of making easy money. Money is God to these types, people are nothing to them.
I am just pleased to be of the NOPM stance, which even though it might be futile in the long term...I feel I am doing my bit.

ajsccfc

It's unlikely but I believe it'll happen some day, because you've got to otherwise what's the point?

Specs WT-R75

For it to happen the club needs to be paired with a stadium so that the whole package can be sold to someone with money to burn... so yes it is possible... and you know what, if sisu managed to get the Ricoh I think the club would be ripe for takeover given the group of players, manager etc that we currently have... but it would need to happen quick otherwise we won't have that group of players and manager...

My 2cs.

Astute

For it to happen the club needs to be paired with a stadium so that the whole package can be sold to someone with money to burn... so yes it is possible... and you know what, if sisu managed to get the Ricoh I think the club would be ripe for takeover given the group of players, manager etc that we currently have... but it would need to happen quick otherwise we won't have that group of players and manager...

My 2cs.

And SISUE would have to not be greedy for this to happen. Can't see it myself.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Certainly can't see it happening in my lifetime anyway. I think I've been lucky to have reached my 60's - my dad died at 54, my older brother died at 50 - so I always think I'm on borrowed time! I'm just grateful that I've seen the heady days of CCFC all through the old First Division and early Premiership years.
As for reaching the play-offs, I keep on stating on these pages, that City have never finished higher than 6th since 1969 / 1970 season, which must be the worst record of any club in any league. Having said that, I never thought I'd ever see us winning the FA Cup either! (Eat your heart out Eric Idle!)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Didn't this down-turn in form start just after Elvis was awarded Manager of the Month? :thinking about:

RoboCCFC90

I am only 23 so the chances of it happening compared to some of the Old Folk* on here is probably better**.

*This is meant as light hearted humour about 50% of the posters on this forum will see it as that I assume.
**Touch wood

wingy

Nah the Japanese are developing the next one ,should go 2-3 times as fast ,however the Yanks will scupper it by banning It overflying their territory.:(

skybluetony176

i just prey we get to next season while SISU are in charge. i know you didn't want it to be another SISU debate but it aint ever going to happen while they are in charge and it certainly aint going to happen with a 12K capacity stadium or a 23K. i think i'm right in saying that Hull & Fulham have the 2 smallest grounds in the premiership with just over 25K and both are fighting to stay there, especially Fulham.

SISU's ambition just doesn't meet the requirements required for a club to reach the top flight, its about time people who apologise for them or don't want to get involved in the politics consider this.

I'm not saying we as fans automatically deserve a place in the top flight because of past achievements but we deserve the opportunity to dream of achieving that and SISU are not offering that opportunity.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Certainly can't see it happening in my lifetime anyway. I think I've been lucky to have reached my 60's - my dad died at 54, my older brother died at 50 - so I always think I'm on borrowed time! I'm just grateful that I've seen the heady days of CCFC all through the old First Division and early Premiership years.
As for reaching the play-offs, I keep on stating on these pages, that City have never finished higher than 6th since 1969 / 1970 season, which must be the worst record of any club in any league. Having said that, I never thought I'd ever see us winning the FA Cup either! (Eat your heart out Eric Idle!)

Houch on that basis- I'll get my Happy New Year in quickly..!!...:eek:

Edit.....and at least another 25 of 'em.:wave:

Users who are viewing this thread