Match Thread Coventry City - Hull City Match Thread - Wednesday 24th Apr (7 Viewers)

djr8369

Hull players came across as a right bunch of scumbags.

Why, after scoring, did their players run away from their own fans and instead try and incite a reaction from singers corner?

When it’s a local derby, or fans had been particularly hostile to individual players I could maybe understand it, but that last night was completely unprovoked.

And then we have all the play acting. I’ve never seen so many players recover from being seriously hurt within 10 seconds. I thought I was watching a faith healing convention at one point
The manager comes across as a class act so I was surprised by the attitude of the team. As a fan you’d surely squirm at some of the antics last night.

Brighton Sky Blue

How many have been down to Collins? Quite a few I think. A good keeper can make all the difference in the world.

As a defence, if you have a top keeper between the sticks behind you, it can create such a feeling of confidence.

I saw the stats on Everton's defence. Right up there with the best in the Premier and a lot of that is down to Jordan Pickford.
Burnley invested heavily in goal this season, as did Sheff Utd in Ramsdale before and both conceded buckets anyway. I just don’t see it as a wise use of funds unless we’re swimming in money.

TomRad85

How many have been down to Collins? Quite a few I think. A good keeper can make all the difference in the world.

As a defence, if you have a top keeper between the sticks behind you, it can create such a feeling of confidence.

I saw the stats on Everton's defence. Right up there with the best in the Premier and a lot of that is down to Jordan Pickford.
Well it works both ways doesn't it, the defence is also exposing him with some truly shambolic errors.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

robbiethemole

Well it works both ways doesn't it, the defence is also exposing him with some truly shambolic errors.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Last night Thomas was as much to blame, passing it back to him, just put it out ffs. Collins then smashed it against the forward instead of trying to side foot it away. Perfect view from block 28 sadly.

SwanLane

Thomas has quite a few rough edges but he’ll come good. We were never buying the finished article. Same with Kitching although we paid a hell of a lot for him. Young, left-footed ball playing CBs are at a premium. Don’t forget Bologna will want £3-4m for Binks.

On Kitching, he looked really good once we went to a back 4 and before he got sent off v Sheffield Wednesday. Since then, his confidence has steadily dropped. At Wembley, he looked shot. Lumbering around, hiding and then playing safe or bad balls. Looks like his head’s not right. Needs a break, a good pre-season and then we can expect to see more from him again.

Boicey

The top priority is a new keeper. We’ve been fannying around too long with nervous, indecisive, weak kneed types who give the defence zero confidence.
We want a big, aggressive , confident fooker who can command the box, come off his line and shout at defenders doing stupid things.
It won’t come cheap but just so it!

Otis

The top priority is a new keeper. We’ve been fannying around too long with nervous, indecisive, weak kneed types who give the defence zero confidence.
We want a big, aggressive , confident fooker who can command the box, come off his line and shout at defenders doing stupid things.
It won’t come cheap but just so it!
We do need someone more commanding and forever shouting to defenders and organising the defence.

I agree, although maybe not top priority, it is a priority.

shepardo01

Allen and Kelly were fine, but Palmer I will agree was pretty hopeless other than the freekick.
Allen and Kelly were not "fine"
They were extremely average and as soon as they were in together, creativity from the middle of the pitch went to zero.
If we think Kelly and Allen are "fine" and we find themselves in the side at any point this or next season, we won't be looking to win games.
Agree with Palmer statement.
Kelly and Allen not what we need now if we want to progress.

Otis

Last night Thomas was as much to blame, passing it back to him, just put it out ffs. Collins then smashed it against the forward instead of trying to side foot it away. Perfect view from block 28 sadly.
Having watched the highlights three times now, I think saying Collins "smashed it" is pushing it just a very small tad. 😂

Mucca Mad Boys

Having watched the highlights three times now, I think saying Collins "smashed it" is pushing it just a very small tad. 😂
Had he smashed the result would’ve been the same - it ricochets off the forward and goes in. If the pass was any weaker the forward would’ve got there first.

Boicey

Had he smashed the result would’ve been the same - it ricochets off the forward and goes in. If the pass was any weaker the forward would’ve got there first.
The striker reacts to how much aggression the keeper is showing. If you think you’re going to get damaged by a keeper willing to do anything to protect his goal you back off.

AOM

We conceded a very poor goal against Leeds.
We've been all over the place defensively since the Wolves game.
The cup runs been great, but I honestly think it's cost us a place in the play offs.

Quite a few callers and texts on the phone in yesterday after the game saying they were happy to sacrifice the play offs for Wembley last week.
Amazing day out, but I'd definitely have swapped the semi final for the play offs

Brighton Sky Blue

Quite a few callers and texts on the phone in yesterday after the game saying they were happy to sacrifice the play offs for Wembley last week.
Amazing day out, but I'd definitely have swapped the semi final for the play offs
If VAR hadn’t ruined it then I actually would have taken Sunday in exchange for the playoffs.

shmmeee

I wouldn’t TBH I don’t think we’d have won them with Ipswich/Leeds and Soton in them, even WBA and Norwich tend to beat us. I honestly think it would just have eaten into preseason for no benefit.

Not like last season where I could see us beating any of the others in there. This years it’s basically all out bogey sides minus Preston.

Reactions: AOM

AOM

I wouldn’t TBH I don’t think we’d have won them with Ipswich/Leeds and Soton in them, even WBA and Norwich tend to beat us. I honestly think it would just have eaten into preseason for no benefit.

Not like last season where I could see us beating any of the others in there. This years it’s basically all out bogey sides minus Preston.

Yeah that's fair, The play offs do seem just a massive roll of the dice and the games since and even leading up to the Wolves game have shown how thin our squad is in terms of quality and depth. It's been a big ask.

Really need to go all out next year. Think automatics will still be just out of reach

shmmeee

Fans would go spare but I’d genuinely be tempted to call the season now and rest anyone who isn’t 100%.

djr8369

Just had a glance at Hull forum and they are complaining about their keeper and saying if it wasn’t for some sloppy mistakes in several games they’d be several points better off and comfortably in POs. A lot of similarities.

One absolutely bizarre one though said both our goals were lucky. The irony!

Brighton Sky Blue

Just had a glance at Hull forum and they are complaining about their keeper and saying if it wasn’t for some sloppy mistakes in several games they’d be several points better off and comfortably in POs. A lot of similarities.

Palmer’s goal was the only good one by a long distance

SIR ERNIE

Disagree, with Simms and Wright full of goals, I would have fancied us more going into the play offs this season than last.

David O'Day

He wasn't great when he played for us

shmmeee

Disagree, with Simms and Wright full of goals, I would have fancied us more going into the play offs this season than last.

We never beat Russell Martin teams. Never. It’s Robins Achilles heel. And that’s before you get to Ipswich WBA and Norwich. It’s like a rogues gallery of teams we struggle against.

SIR ERNIE

We never beat Russell Martin teams. Never. It’s Robins Achilles heel. And that’s before you get to Ipswich WBA and Norwich. It’s like a rogues gallery of teams we struggle against.
Historically true but this team has shown it relishes the one-off big occasion.
Leicester/Wolves/Leeds/Man Utd.
We'll never know but I would have really fancied our chances against anyone.

Deity

I love hearing Oggy after the match on BBC CWR and most of the time I think he talks great sense but occasionally he has a wild opinion.

I remember him saying he wouldn’t have signed Vik and we should have kept Biamou

last night he said he thought Palmer was again excellent and hinted that Premier Clubs might want him this summer ……

Users who are viewing this thread