Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Turtle Bay named as the latest restaurant to open at Cathedral Lanes.

Heard it's quite nice.
Happened to go to the one in Leamington last week. It's... alright actually. I'm not old(!) but was compared to most of the clientele!
The main issue I had was that the area was all a bit sterile because it was all chains. It's all... safe and a bit dull. Could have been anywhere, and the Leamington I know / knew has little independent places that keep its charm.

God, I wish some time somebody would be brave enough to throw open an area for independent places. Coventry's effectively mimicking Leamington and Birmingham. It may stop the drain of people to those places at weekends, but it won't attract new people. It's all so depressing when everywhere's the same.

Otis

Happened to go to the one in Leamington last week. It's... alright actually. I'm not old(!) but was compared to most of the clientele!
The main issue I had was that the area was all a bit sterile because it was all chains. It's all... safe and a bit dull. Could have been anywhere, and the Leamington I know / knew has little independent places that keep its charm.

God, I wish some time somebody would be brave enough to throw open an area for independent places. Coventry's effectively mimicking Leamington and Birmingham. It may stop the drain of people to those places at weekends, but it won't attract new people. It's all so depressing when everywhere's the same.
I agree. Think these restaurants are good for Coventry, but do wish we could have more independents.

Basement Brown's is nice though and that's just here and Leamington.

Plenty of cafes that are independent, but not many restaurants.

NorthernWisdom

Plenty of cafes that are independent, but not many restaurants.
There are some (still haven't gone to the Lebanese one, although they have a branch in Warwick so maybe they aren't that independent after all!) but they get lost in the clamour. Personally I'd have made Spon Street the restaurant quarter, and kicked out the kebab houses!

Maybe I'm just old! tbf I guess when *I* was at uni, I didn't hunt out little independents. Well, bar the pubs, anyway.

Basement Brown's confused me with the ordering and collection system ;)

Otis

There are some (still haven't gone to the Lebanese one, although they have a branch in Warwick so maybe they aren't that independent after all!) but they get lost in the clamour. Personally I'd have made Spon Street the restaurant quarter, and kicked out the kebab houses!

Maybe I'm just old! tbf I guess when *I* was at uni, I didn't hunt out little independents. Well, bar the pubs, anyway.

Basement Brown's confused me with the ordering and collection system ;)
Ha, yeah. Took two attempts for me.

Totally agree on Spon St and that way that would stop the chains moving in because many of them are protected buildings and they wouldn't be able to fiddle with them much at all.

I remember about 10 years ago saying that the council should make Spon Street a restaurant quarter.

LastGarrison

Turtle Bay named as the latest restaurant to open at Cathedral Lanes.

Heard it's quite nice. Will give a good selection of differing cuisines there once they're all open. Zizzi, Cosy Club, Wagamama, Los Iguanas, Pierre Bistrot, Turtle Bay, the Botanist.

The German Doner place opened today in the Burges too.

Might give it a try tomorrow if the rest of the family are up for it.
Turtle Bay is a very welcome addition and is actually somewhere you can just got for a drink in as well.

Great selection up there now and I was in The Botanist in Brum the other week and was impressed so hopefully our one follows suit!!

Is the German place in the Burges? For some reason I had it being in the old Co-Op!

Let us know what it’s like if you do go.

Otis

Turtle Bay is a very welcome addition and is actually somewhere you can just got for a drink in as well.

Great selection up there now and I was in The Botanist in Brum the other week and was impressed so hopefully our one follows suit!!

Is the German place in the Burges? For some reason I had it being in the old Co-Op!

Let us know what it’s like if you do go.
Yeah, the Burges.

The old Co-op is going to house SteakHouse and a new cafe bar.

Think the Botanist caused quite a stir on here when announced, what with its eating from a trowel or plant pot! ;)

shmmeee

Ha, yeah. Took two attempts for me.

Totally agree on Spon St and that way that would stop the chains moving in because many of them are protected buildings and they wouldn't be able to fiddle with them much at all.

I remember about 10 years ago saying that the council should make Spon Street a restaurant quarter.

To be fair I think one of the council's mistakes in the past has been to try and artificially create "quarters" rather than signal boost what occurs naturally.

Captain Dart

upload_2018-9-14_20-40-16.png
New water park coming along.

pusbccfc

Will be a very good asset to the city.

wingy

Well my stand out building gives me a semi every time I see it
The Computing and Engineering Faculty on CU campus just off Far Gosford street as you walk up into town
On the left next to the equally extraordinary Library building
Stands its ground beautifully and compete with any other modern renowned building in Europe
Could look at it for eons and lifts my mood .

Otis

Well my stand out building gives me a semi every time I see it
The Computing and Engineering Faculty on CU campus just off Far Gosford street as you walk up into town
On the left next to the equally extraordinary Library building
Stands its ground beautifully and compete with any other modern renowned building in Europe
Could look at it for eons and lifts my mood .
Yeah, lovely.

Otis

Looks like MOD Pizza is the latest restaurant to come to Cathedral Lanes.

Can't see anything at all in the local press, but there is a planning application sign on the door of the vacant outlet next to Zizzi.

Seattle based in the US and only have locations in the UK in London, Nottingham, Leeds and Gateshead at the mo.

Apparently they cook pizzas at about 800° so your pizza is ready in about 2 -2 1/2 mins.

Evening Standard are quoted as saying it's the best pizza you'll ever have. So, will have to wait and see on that one.

Think we have enough pizza places already, but it's nice to see this is not one of the big chains (for now at least) moving in.

Nick

Administrator

Can't see anything at all in the local press, but there is a planning application sign on the door of the vacant outlet next to Zizzi.

Seattle based in the US and only have locations in the UK in London, Nottingham, Leeds and Gateshead at the mo.

Apparently they cook pizzas at about 800° so your pizza is ready in about 2 -2 1/2 mins.

Evening Standard are quoted as saying it's the best pizza you'll ever have. So, will have to wait and see on that one.

Think we have enough pizza places already, but it's nice to see this is not one of the big chains (for now at least) moving in.
Are you after a job? :)

NorthernWisdom

Sure Basement Browns are delighted with this (also they're one of the few local independent places around there, so wouldn't want to see them crushed by The Man)

pusbccfc

This would be a huge opening for us.

They've had quick expansion and will continue to grow.

The one in Leicester Square is reasonably priced so I'd imagine the one in Coventry would be popular.

Otis

Sure Basement Browns are delighted with this (also they're one of the few local independent places around there, so wouldn't want to see them crushed by The Man)
Yeah, agree. I love pizza so much, but was a little disappointed at this news.

Basement Browns is my favourite city centre restaurant and my family go there on average twice a month.

Don't see we need yet another pizza place and at the very least it could have been set somewhere else (maybe close to the train station, where a 2 min pizza would go down a storm).

fernandopartridge

Yeah, agree. I love pizza so much, but was a little disappointed at this news.

Basement Browns is my favourite city centre restaurant and my family go there on average twice a month.

Don't see we need yet another pizza place and at the very least it could have been set somewhere else (maybe close to the train station, where a 2 min pizza would go down a storm).
Only Coventry people would complain about choice. There is no reason why the two can't do exist.

Otis

Only Coventry people would complain about choice. There is no reason why the two can't do exist.
Not really complaining about choice, complaining about 4 pizza places within about 100 yards of each other.

Very happy about MOD Pizza being here, but can't see why it can't be elsewhere. Plenty enough free units.

Grendel

Not really complaining about choice, complaining about 4 pizza places within about 100 yards of each other.

Very happy about MOD Pizza being here, but can't see why it can't be elsewhere. Plenty enough free units.

I assume because there is a ready made customer base looking for a pizza!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I had a pizza from one of those vans (between where BHS was & Poundland now) the other week was pretty decent to be fair for about £4.

Users who are viewing this thread