Match Thread Coventry City - Carlisle United Match Thread - Tuesday 12th Sep (3 Viewers)

higgs

How did stokes do tonight?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

skyblue025

Just got back home. First half was dog toffee bar the 2 Beacon shots and a great save by Burge.

Second half was 100% better and we should of had a lot more than 2 goals. Defence looks solid and we created a fair few chances tonight.

No way was there 6k in the stadium tonight. I'm thinking around 4-4.5k tops.

I've always thought wank puffin was a good put down on par with spunk trumpet.

singers_pore

There does seem to be a consistent pattern where we do better in the second half. I think teams start to lose heart when they see that we are technically a bit better than them. Hopefully that will rub off on our players and increase their confidence so that we don't have to wait a full 45 minutes to gain dominance over the opposition.

Otis

How did stokes do tonight?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
He started off poorly. A few loose passes here and there. Much improved in the second half though. Hopefully he will get back to where he was when he was impressive just about every week.

Adge

Willis for me is an average player at best but last night was the best game I've seen him have in a Coventry shirt. Headed everything that came his way-don't think he missed one all night. Davies,Grimmer,Beavon had decent games aswell.

Hobo

Andreu is a blow, brought a bit of flair and creativity to the side and looked like he would score goals.

Good result and another clean sheet will bring confidence.

Great_Expectations

Absolutely gutted about Andreu, I definitely think he would have given us that edge this season with his creativity and vision.

Re last nights performance, the second half was a complete change from the first, we seemed to up the tempo and tried to play some football.

Davies was fantastic at the back, I think he only missed one header (which is an especially impressive feat when playing in L2!) and Jones was our biggest threat again. Kelly (and the team overall) looks better when he is allowed to push on a little, meaning the gap isn't so big between defence and attack, plus we have players arriving late to the attack. It's a shame he can't shoot.

My one concern is the reliance on Jones for a spark, if he were to get injured or leave we may be in a bit of trouble, but hopefully we have a youngster in the wings (pun not intended) who could fill in if required. Plus Jones wasn't up to much last season, which shows how a) he's improved and b) the difference between defenders in L1 and L2.

Very early days, so I'm by no means writing him off, but I'm not sure on Biamou yet, and I'm a little surprised he's ahead of Ponticelli considering the latter has been scoring goals. I accept Biamou is young, raw and stepping up so I'm sure he will come good, but I'd like to see the in form player get a 20 minute slot next game.

I'm feeling more positive after the second half and it does seem a tactic that we are solid in the first and then attack more in the second. I'm very much looking forward to an away day on Saturday - 9 points in a week is on.

Garryb80

Absolutely gutted about Andreu, I definitely think he would have given us that edge this season with his creativity and vision.

Re last nights performance, the second half was a complete change from the first, we seemed to up the tempo and tried to play some football.

Davies was fantastic at the back, I think he only missed one header (which is an especially impressive feat when playing in L2!) and Jones was our biggest threat again. Kelly (and the team overall) looks better when he is allowed to push on a little, meaning the gap isn't so big between defence and attack, plus we have players arriving late to the attack. It's a shame he can't shoot.

My one concern is the reliance on Jones for a spark, if he were to get injured or leave we may be in a bit of trouble, but hopefully we have a youngster in the wings (pun not intended) who could fill in if required. Plus Jones wasn't up to much last season, which shows how a) he's improved and b) the difference between defenders in L1 and L2.

Very early days, so I'm by no means writing him off, but I'm not sure on Biamou yet, and I'm a little surprised he's ahead of Ponticelli considering the latter has been scoring goals. I accept Biamou is young, raw and stepping up so I'm sure he will come good, but I'd like to see the in form player get a 20 minute slot next game.

I'm feeling more positive after the second half and it does seem a tactic that we are solid in the first and then attack more in the second. I'm very much looking forward to an away day on Saturday - 9 points in a week is on.
How can biamou be in form if he doesnt play? He was good last night and deserves a chance. I dont doubt ponticelli could score goals but its not a guarantee.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think Jones is benefitted from the increased game time, coaching and the faith Robins has in him. L2 isn't as high a standard, but, it's allowed him to develop where I think he'd be a star player in L1 for us. He's been with us since a 17yrs old, we probably expected too much of him early on. Bringing me nicely on to my next point...

I do think Cov fans as a whole are pinning their hopes on Ponticelli too much. He's scoring goals for the U18s and U23s but that isn't the same as 1st team football. MR picked up on this and as he's training with the senior squad, MR said he was 'behind' in some training drills but 'getting better'. Obviously, he's 18 he's probably not going to be at that level yet. With a full strength squad, he needs to remain in the U23s, for now...

That said, with all the injuries we've got at the minute, I think he will get his chance sooner rather than later.

eastwoodsdustman

I thought Biamou did very well last night and didn't let their back 4 settle at all. He made a difference and I can see him pushing before long to start. As for Ponticelli, like others have said, he's young and still a bit raw. He wasn't in the academy system for a long time and played Coventry minor league football until a couple of years ago. He needs time and coaching to help him progress. Pushing him into the first team too early could well set him back if we're not too careful.

Nick

Administrator
I thought Biamou did very well last night and didn't let their back 4 settle at all. He made a difference and I can see him pushing before long to start. As for Ponticelli, like others have said, he's young and still a bit raw. He wasn't in the academy system for a long time and played Coventry minor league football until a couple of years ago. He needs time and coaching to help him progress. Pushing him into the first team too early could well set him back if we're not too careful.

That's the thing, people forget he hasn't been a footballer for that long so is still adjusting. He will get his chance when he is ready.

fernandopartridge

I thought he looked a handful too, hopefully he improves as he gets up to speed with full time football

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

torchomatic

7 points from 9. Can't complain about that. I just hope the injuries won't stop us in our tracks just as we seem to be building up some momentum. However, I thought Biamou played well when he came on last night. Much, much improved since the start of the season. To be fair though, he has made the step up, which is not easy for all players.

Johnnythespider

Just one memory from last night, sorry if it's already mentioned but what was their goalkeeper doing when he went full John Cena on Kelly-evans. Was it a sending off offence. I thought he should have seen red.

Sky Blue Kid

Exactly what happened to Bigi.

better days

7 points from 9. Can't complain about that. I just hope the injuries won't stop us in our tracks just as we seem to be building up some momentum. However, I thought Biamou played well when he came on last night. Much, much improved since the start of the season. To be fair though, he has made the step up, which is not easy for all players.
Actually the injuries might present opportunities for one or two of our talented youngsters
Our problem last year was too many kids together which meant we didn't have the power or experience to close down and manage games once we were ahead
With the experienced, tough buggers we have now some of the likes of DKE, Maycock, Stevenson and Pontichelli could excel
They are all a year older and stronger now too
The extra 'legs' these youngsters give when they come on late in games could be interesting

Mucca Mad Boys

Exactly what happened to Bigi.

I think him going to Newcastle stunted his development. Went from 1st team player, playing week in, week out in the championship, to not playing at all...

(... I think the same will happen to George Thomas.)

Also, even if Ponticelli is the real deal, I think we've got a good enough squad for promotion this year without him. Get him some game time in L2 then unleash him in L1 (if we get promoted). Otherwise, we can be victims of his success if he does well and a higher league team sign him...

mechaishida

Thought this game was tonight, ffs. Ah well, it's always pleasant to miss a game completely and find out you won...

Bring on those boat-rowing bastards on Saturday, this momentum could be the start of an encouraging run. PUSB.

chiefdave

Just one memory from last night, sorry if it's already mentioned but what was their goalkeeper doing when he went full John Cena on Kelly-evans. Was it a sending off offence. I thought he should have seen red.
That was weird, he was virtually twice the height of Kelly-Evans but felt the need to do that. How the ref didn't give us anything for that is beyond me. Just as well we were winning, would not have been happy if that had happened at 0-0.

dongonzalos

I think him going to Newcastle stunted his development. Went from 1st team player, playing week in, week out in the championship, to not playing at all...

(... I think the same will happen to George Thomas.)

Also, even if Ponticelli is the real deal, I think we've got a good enough squad for promotion this year without him. Get him some game time in L2 then unleash him in L1 (if we get promoted). Otherwise, we can be victims of his success if he does well and a higher league team sign him...

It's the getting him some league time bit that concerns me.
When he was banging them in, in the U18's.
People said he needs to do it in the U21's before he should get a sniff.
Now he is banging then in, in the U23's.
We have a period of time where our strikers have scored is it one or two goals from open play. Yet he doesn't get 10 minutes off the bench not even when we were playing against 10 men desperate for a goal.
If he isn't going to get 10 minutes in that scenario he would be better off like Kwarme and getting away for a month to play.

Mucca Mad Boys

It's the getting him some league time bit that concerns me.
When he was banging them in, in the U18's.
People said he needs to do it in the U21's before he should get a sniff.
Now he is banging then in, in the U23's.
We have a period of time where our strikers have scored is it one or two goals from open play. Yet he doesn't get 10 minutes off the bench not even when we were playing against 10 men desperate for a goal.
If he isn't going to get 10 minutes in that scenario he would be better off like Kwarme and getting away for a month to play.

The more pertinent point being that in Robins' opinion, he's not up to stratch with the rest of the squad. He's a development player, thus, his development is the most important thing to us. Besides, younger players rarely maintain form for a whole season straight, so I'd rather him burst onto the scene later on in the season. Look at Stevenson, Murphy and Armstrong to name a few recent examples.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread