Coventry City captain Carl Baker wants to finish his career at the Sky Blues (1 Viewer)

hill83

Thought he already had to be honest.

ari-gold-gtfo-o.gif

pusbccfc

In all fairness he's got the most assists by some distance and is third leading scorer in the current squad.

stupot07

In all fairness he's got the most assists by some distance and is third leading scorer in the current squad.

He's only got 2 more assists than moussa, I wouldn't say that's by some distance and he's also a penalty taker, but on paper I can see what you mean. However he's been largely poor this season, and been part of a defensively poor midfield that's been part of one of the worst defensive units in the football league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Don't think you can fault his commitment to the club. When he has the shirt on, he tries, sometimes it comes off, others it doesn't. Especially this season he's looked very inconsistent at times.

But selfish on the ball, but I think that's partly because of the winning mentality he tries to instill into the team.

One of the few players that will have a crack at goal rather than trying to walk it in.

Last season was definitely his best for us. Next season will be the decider as to whether we tie him down for longer or not.

Plus, his kids are little sky blues now too, which is great to see (considering their not local lads).

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I quite like Baker. The times I've watched him, he always puts in a good effort.

bringbackrattles

Give Baker his due he is a trier and always gives his all.He does blow hot and cold but so do many others.
He will have a good game followed by a few iffy ones,but I'd like him to stay and we are League One which is Bakers level now in his career.

SkyBlueSid

Give Baker his due he is a trier and always gives his all.He does blow hot and cold but so do many others.
He will have a good game followed by a few iffy ones,but I'd like him to stay and we are League One which is Bakers level now in his career.

This is about right. At 31 his chance of a big pay-day has gone. He is playing for an average League One club and most others would be unlikely to offer him more than a year. So if City were to offer him 2 years on current salary he will have done well. No guarantee they will, though, given the situation, which is probably why he is saying this in the press. There are a few 'ifs' though. Will Pressley fancy him for another contract, and will the club be willing to pay up? I'd say it's 50/50 whether he stays or not.

stupot07

This is about right. At 31 his chance of a big pay-day has gone. He is playing for an average League One club and most others would be unlikely to offer him more than a year. So if City were to offer him 2 years on current salary he will have done well. No guarantee they will, though, given the situation, which is probably why he is saying this in the press. There are a few 'ifs' though. Will Pressley fancy him for another contract, and will the club be willing to pay up? I'd say it's 50/50 whether he stays or not.

They certainly won't (and shouldn't) be matching his current contract reportedly £8k per week. It's whether he's willing to take a big pay cut to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SkyBlueSid

They certainly won't (and shouldn't) be matching his current contract reportedly £8k per week. It's whether he's willing to take a big pay cut to stay.

I'm sure they won't be offering anywhere near £8k. But neither would anyone else, of course, so it all depends on who is willing to pay the most over a contract. At 31 the biggest factor is length of contract and he is probably desperate to get 2 years. Any new club may only offer a year with an option of 2, at best.

stupot07

Baker isn't on 8k/week.

He 'reportedly' is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Leon-Clarke-Joe-Murphy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Which caused a bit of a stir on here.

And the follow up.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/sky-blues-boss-no-plans-5584256

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/34985-Baker-Clarke-amp-Murphy-Told-To-Go

It may be bollocks but it's we've got to go on.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

He 'reportedly' is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Leon-Clarke-Joe-Murphy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Which caused a bit of a stir on here.

And the follow up.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/sky-blues-boss-no-plans-5584256

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/34985-Baker-Clarke-amp-Murphy-Told-To-Go

It may be bollocks but it's we've got to go on.

Remember seeing this article and thinking it was bollocks. But I guess like you said, we don't have much else to go on. I highly doubt Baker and Murph are on 8k, probably closer to half that IMO.

Hobo

Footballers always say the right thing when a contract is due or when results are poor.

A shame a few more don't actually back up what they say out on the pitch.

Yes he gives us lots of assists, he is in one of the best positions to deliver that. He has some sparkling moments, but consistency is an issue and league 1 or lower is his level.

SkyBlueSid

Fair play to him, at least he shows some loyalty.

Loyalty is a very rare commodity in football apart from supporters. Footballers are simply employees of the company and they will always seek the best deal they can. Whether that is with a current employer or elsewhere is immaterial. It isall about money.

I don't blame them for it as it is a relatively short career that can end with one bad tackle. But let's not delude ourselves that players or managers have some sort of affinity for anything but the best deal they can get.

Baker is 31 and looking for as much security as he can get, so another couple of years would be ideal for him. I'm sure he is angling for a new deal at City but if he has to go elsewhere, I have no doubt he would. At his age they won't be queueing round the block though.

Hobo

Surely it would be loyalty if he had been since he was 21.

Monners

Be happy to keep him. He likes playing for the club, is pretty decent with the fans. Of course he is looking for job security - aren't we all!

Nick

Administrator
It really depends on the situation, he will need a pay cut won't he (depending on what he is now).

James Smith

On the few occasions I've seen him play he does at least look like he is trying and if he is/was on 8k a week I should hope so too. Does this mean that he's hanging up his boots if he isn't offered another contract with us?

Always gives 100% even though the pass or cross that he intends doesn't always (often) come off! Be happy to keep him but not playing every game. Goal at Rotherham will always be remembered but also performances such as at Port Vale!

Users who are viewing this thread