Match Thread Coventry City - Bristol City FC Match Thread - Tuesday 30th Jan (2 Viewers)

Alkhen

Who's being a nob? There's 1% that are giving him shit, most of the rest of the criticism he has got has been constructive and well grounded, which you cannot say hasn't been deserved. He's been massively underwhelming and if it wasn't for players like Wright and Sakamoto winning us games, would have been more exposed to it. He scored a tap in. Contribute a bit more over a longer period and if the noise is still going on then I think it can be a bit more tolerated to give some back. I stand by what I said, I don't agree with shushing your own fans.
Think man... Maybe it was aimed at the 1%?!

Besides it's definitely more than 1% on here have been laying into him for months. I don't blame him at all. Hope gets a shot as starter now and he kicks on and shuts the negative lot up permanently.

ptr

Simms adds more than Godden just by being on the pitch . He occupies defenders and stretches the game. He needs more goals but currently offers way more than Godden

Yeah absolutely agree but we need way more. I’ve said it before but Simms needs a proper run of games, that’s 90 minutes without worrying that Godden is going to come on and do fuck all for the last half hour.

Imagine how demoralising it is for Simms at the moment to be back up to him. But he does needs to offer more. That’ll come with time and confidence.

Ashdown

Not the worst performance, Bristol were quite useful at times too. Suffered with the loss of Sheaf for sure. Torp looks like a class act in the making. Still frustrated at times by our two tall strikers and their lack of a physical presence. Plenty of good balls into the box not attacked. Godden offered very little again. Unbeaten record stands thankfully.

quinn1971

Can torp come in and do what sheaf does ? Guessing torp was prob going to come in for Eccles but looks like he’s got the lot,

Calista

Not read the thread, so it has probably been mentioned, but I was directly behind the line of Kitchen's shot and it had a vicious swerve on it. No real blame on the keeper for parrying it.

Alkhen

Palmer Wright Sakamoto front three next game please.

Palmer is crying out for a striker to play a through ball to.

Pleased for Simms tonight but we can’t go into Saturday carrying a striker.

Gahhh are you serious?! He scares defenders and is a quality target. How can you not see it???

The lad literally breaks his run of not scoring with a classic poachers goal and you want him out the team? Madness

Calista

Can torp come in and do what sheaf does ?
Not at this stage, although he does look promising. As an example, I noticed that he hid a bit when we had throw-ins, whereas Sheaf always shows for the ball and nonchalantly deals with it.

Edit: that's not a criticism, it's only his second game!

ptr

Gahhh are you serious?! He scares defenders and is a quality target. How can you not see it???

The lad literally breaks his run of not scoring with a classic poachers goal and you want him out the team? Madness

Read my other responses to this. Was more aimed at Godden. Simms scored tonight but you must agree we need more from him. Doesn’t help he knows he’s not first choice.

Can’t really say he’s a ‘quality’ target atm can you? Needs to hit the ground running when given a starting opportunity, something he’s not done yet. But as I’ve said, needs more than just a start, needs a proper run of games.

Alkhen

Read my other responses to this. Was more aimed at Godden. Simms scored tonight but you must agree we need more from him. Doesn’t help he knows he’s not first choice.

Can’t really say he’s a ‘quality’ target atm can you? Needs to hit the ground running when given a starting opportunity, something he’s not done yet. But as I’ve said, needs more than just a start, needs a proper run of games.

You say he needs a run of game then say you want him out the front 3 next match, how does that add up.

And yeah I genuinely think he is a good target, something none of of our other strikers can offer at all. He was quality in that run against the bigger teams in really tough circumstances. He holds the ball up well and seems to be able to pick out players around him. He should have had an assist last match if Allen hadn't fluffed his lines.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Think man... Maybe it was aimed at the 1%?!

Besides it's definitely more than 1% on here have been laying into him for months. I don't blame him at all. Hope gets a shot as starter now and he kicks on and shuts the negative lot up permanently.

His contribution this season hasn't been good. I'm surprised people are jumping to defend him so quickly in all honesty. Godden (who has admittedly also been really poor for a while) was given a lot more abuse, much of which was personal and even tagged him allegedly. He also has been a great servant to the club with loads of hugely important goals, yet he wasn't defended over his celebrations as much as Simms has been tonight.

As I said, I get that many people have a different take on it and don't feel the same. I just feel that shushing your own fans is a bit distasteful at the best of times and I don't like it. That's just my view.

Reactions: ptr

Alkhen

His contribution this season hasn't been good. I'm surprised people are jumping to defend him so quickly in all honesty. Godden (who has admittedly also been really poor for a while) was given a lot more abuse, much of which was personal and even tagged him allegedly. He also has been a great servant to the club with loads of hugely important goals, yet he wasn't defended over his celebrations as much as Simms has been tonight.

As I said, I get that many people have a different take on it and don't feel the same. I just feel that shushing your own fans is a bit distasteful at the best of times and I don't like it. That's just my view.

He's been given shite from his own fans for months, he bites back in a really tame way and the same meatheads calling him useless turn it to pearl clutching fannies.

Pathetic
200.gif

ptr

You say he needs a run of game then say you want him out the front 3 next match, how does that add up.

And yeah I genuinely think he is a good target, something none of of our other strikers can offer at all. He was quality in that run against the bigger teams in really tough circumstances. He holds the ball up well and seems to be able to pick out players around him. He should have had an assist last match if Allen hadn't fluffed his lines.
You said he was a quality target a minute ago now he’s just good? He’s shown flashes but it’s been disappointing overall.

I think Wright deserves a chance up there. Personally think he’d cause defenders more problems. But we would need another winger to accommodate that. Simms has 4 goals this year so although I think he should get a good run of games, I’m not exactly begging for him to get one either.

Don’t forget this is now the third time we’ve said he’ll go on a good run now. He didn’t previously so he really does need to grab it if he gets the chance on Saturday. I’m desperate for him to do well but he’s not filling me with confidence.

Alkhen

You said he was a quality target a minute ago now he’s just good? He’s shown flashes but it’s been disappointing overall.

I think Wright deserves a chance up there. Personally think he’d cause defenders more problems. But we would need another winger to accommodate that. Simms has 4 goals this year so although I think he should get a good run of games, I’m not exactly begging for him to get one either.

Don’t forget this is now the third time we’ve said he’ll go on a good run now. He didn’t previously so he really does need to grab it if he gets the chance on Saturday. I’m desperate for him to do well but he’s not filling me with confidence.
Last time scored two he was dropped. Haji works on the left why move him? Odd

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He's been given shite from his own fans for months, he bites back in a really tame way and the same meatheads calling him useless turn it to pearl clutching fannies.

Pathetic
200.gif

As I said, I hold a different opinion to you. I also think this is a bit misdirected in all honesty.

Alkhen

He started the next four games after QPR. He wasn’t dropped. Come on ffs.
My bad I'll take that. He needs a chance though what the point otherwise?
Honestly why would you advocate moving Wright? Palmer did ok in the 3 but it's clearly not his position. Seems counter productive. Especially when you yourself say Simms needs a proper run as starting striker

ptr

My bad I'll take that. He needs a chance though what the point otherwise?
Honestly why would you advocate moving Wright? Palmer did ok in the 3 but it's clearly not his position. Seems counter productive. Especially when you yourself say Simms needs a proper run as starting striker

We need a plan b if Simms and Godden continue as they are and I think moving Wright there is an option if we get another winger in. After all, he was bought in as a striker. Didn’t work at the start of the season but think of all the chances he had, reckon with the confidence he’s got now he’d start putting more away.

Simms will have another shot at it after tonight but if we want to get where we want to get to, he has to do more simple as. There’s a player in there and I feel for him because I think we’ve wasted too much playing time on Godden this year rather than developing Simms.

skyblue025

Just got home. Pretty average all round really. We couldn't seem to get going and Brizzle didn't create a lot other than a few gifts we gave them. Both teams cancelled each other out. Crowd was pretty subdued as well.

SBT

Can torp come in and do what sheaf does ? Guessing torp was prob going to come in for Eccles but looks like he’s got the lot,
Torp seems like a different kind of player to Sheaf, more attack-minded and looks like he wants to carry the ball forward. Seems to me like the intention is to play him alongside Sheaf as an upgrade on Eccles, think it’ll work nicely.

napolimp

Weird night. It was like everyone was suffering from fatigue - players, crowd, etc - not even physical, more just like a break was needed. Hopefully we get over it before Saturday.

Clearly got away with one anyway, and we have kept the unbeaten run intact.

Lati replacing Sheaf wasn't the answer, clearly wanted to play in defence as part of a back 3. Surely that's what Allen and Kelly are in the squad for, if Torp's not ready.

Torp looked full of potential.

We looked much more dangerous with Simms, who simply gave the Bristol defence something to think about.

Wright needs minutes in his legs to get back up to speed, next Tuesday could help.

stevefloyd

There's no doubt now. Godden needs to be put out to grass. Great servant but we can't continue playing with 10 men plus the occasional touch from Godden.

That was just pure and simple flat. Even the support wasn't there. The bit of squad rotation could have cost us. Players knackered. Players coming back from injury.

Bristol deserved their point. But we kept up with our run and also scoring 2 or more a game. Let's move on. Not going to win every game.
How many touches did he have last night?

Users who are viewing this thread